The Student Room Group

Do you think you might regret choosing psychology?

Scroll to see replies

I'm in my first year, and while I like my course and find it interesting, I'm less sure about it being a long term career for me. I'm not sure I want to spend 7 years studying anything, to be honest.
Reply 81
I have questioned my decision to take psychology (currently in my second year) and have had my fair share of rants aimed at the degree and subject. However, I wouldn't change my choice to study it if I had the chance to go back.

The claim that psychology is a pseudo-science is understandable but not justifiable. I dislike social psychology but that's because my interests lie in neuroscience and the biological aspects of the field - not because social psychology is flawed in terms of its rigour.

On the surface, areas such as developmental and social may appear 'light' and 'flimsy' but surely the fact that no definite answers have yet been produced makes them more exciting and interesting? Surely, the idea of a young field that sparks so much discussion, and opportunity for debate, is intellectually demanding?

To simply write off psychology as a degree because of this seems a bit silly in my opinion.
Reply 82
Final Year student now.

I'm still uncertain about taking psychology into postgraduate studies purely because I'm not keen on the idea of jumping straight into education straight after this one. Maybe in 1-3 Years, but not next year. Currently I'm not so keen on the idea of educational psychology anymore (Due to it's focus), but I still want to put to use my knowledge of psychology into education still, which has pretty much always been my goal.

Asides from that. I don't regret it at all.
Neuroscience is pretty much the least interesting aspect to me, not because it's difficult in the sense that it's harsh to grasp, but more in the sense that there's a freaking load of small details to recall which I honestly don't have patience for. You could say the same applies to social psychology but it can focus more on the largest aspect.

My favourite module so far has been learning about the basic ideas behind cooperation, conflict and altruism... (Basically utilises some game theory). That was pretty fun.
Reply 83
Original post by iammichealjackson
Christopher Hitchens? Eh? Are you saying you want to swap psychology for religion bashing, surely you can do that in your own time?

What year are you in at uni? I was considering swapping to second year biological anthropology after my first year, which is a rarely considered option but its really good if you like evolution (which is what im assuiming you meant when you referenced dawkins) and you like studying people.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply... Incidentally I'm now in the middle of another 'Psych meltdown' as I so aptly termed it. Though this may be due to exams.

I'm coming towards the end of my first year at uni. I'm not pretty sure I don't want a job in Psychology, so the question is do I stick it out 2 more years for a degree (and hopefully hype myself up and get a job) or change degrees to something I may like more? The problem with this is I'm not sure there would be something I like more, as I like to study a range of subjects. I too find the subjectivity of Psychology a problem.

What happened in the end, did you swap to Biological Anthropology? And where is everyone else on this question?
Original post by Kasad
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply... Incidentally I'm now in the middle of another 'Psych meltdown' as I so aptly termed it. Though this may be due to exams.

I'm coming towards the end of my first year at uni. I'm not pretty sure I don't want a job in Psychology, so the question is do I stick it out 2 more years for a degree (and hopefully hype myself up and get a job) or change degrees to something I may like more? The problem with this is I'm not sure there would be something I like more, as I like to study a range of subjects. I too find the subjectivity of Psychology a problem.

What happened in the end, did you swap to Biological Anthropology? And where is everyone else on this question?

No, the bits i like most from biological anthropology are the most pscyhology related when i think about it :P... I just really didn't much care for social psychology at the time!
Reply 85
No, the bits i like most from biological anthropology are the most pscyhology related when i think about it :P... I just really didn't much care for social psychology at the time!

So you're still doing Psychology? :smile:
Original post by Kasad
So you're still doing Psychology? :smile:

Next year i am doing only psychology, this year i am doing a mix. I don't know what people mean by "subjective" here... I mean the most "social" areas of psychology if you have a good point to make against such an approach then you can make it, if your beliefs are that pscyology should be scientific, then you can choose to study only the cogntive/biological parts later in your degree.
Reply 87
Next year i am doing only psychology, this year i am doing a mix. I don't know what people mean by "subjective" here... I mean the most "social" areas of psychology if you have a good point to make against such an approach then you can make it, if your beliefs are that pscyology should be scientific, then you can choose to study only the cogntive/biological parts later in your degree.

Hmm, you make a good point. It does rather devalue the science as I whole, though.
Original post by Kasad
Hmm, you make a good point. It does rather devalue the science as I whole, though.

Not really, i don't think pysicists care about what psychologists do, and some psychologists argue that psychology shouldn't use scientific methods so then it wouldn't count as a science. I don't prefer the social, unscientific parts of psychology, but I think if you don't like then you should intellectualise it and you can critise it (which is fun!). Although if your taught just to memorise theories then you can't do this and then you have a right to despise it!

Quick Reply

Latest