The Student Room Group

Have you had a bad counselling experience?

Scroll to see replies

I got told I was an attention seeker, that I was making stuff up, that I was immature. One particular psychiatrist liked to remind me on most sessions why my ex broke up with me. That being said I have had some good ones too.
Mine were awful. Intentionally gave me false information, and I would have killed myself if it wasn't for the near miracle of getting access to enough money to pay for my medication and surgery privately. During my time getting through an army of shrinks, they were completely uninterested in me, except for the one who wanted to know all about my masturbation habits.

As a child, I had trust issues with dentists when they told me I should go for local anaesthetic for an operation as it wouldn't hurt much, but it was the most painful thing I have ever, and probably will ever experience. Now I have trust issues with anyone in the mental health industry, because nobody was there to help me. They knew I was stuck with them, and they'd get their paycheck whether I got helped or not. And hey, a huge number of people with my condition commit suicide anyway, so it's not going to look bad on their books if they lose a few patients.
Original post by lightburns
Now I have trust issues with anyone in the mental health industry, because nobody was there to help me. They knew I was stuck with them, and they'd get their paycheck whether I got helped or not. And hey, a huge number of people with my condition commit suicide anyway, so it's not going to look bad on their books if they lose a few patients.

What condition do you have?
Reply 43
Yes, my first counsellor was gosh darn awful. But I have a lovely art therapist now. :3

I was forced into seeing him because I was having panic attacks whenever I was asked to answer questions in class, so I went and then...everything came out. Everything I was scared of, that I was still struggling with self harm and that I'd been sexually abused. He spent most of our sessions sitting with his eyes shut, he fell asleep several times. He didn't seem to care, was incredibly patronising and deliberately worked me up into such a state that I left in near hysterics more than once and dreaded our sessions. He also didn't believe that I couldn't trust him or that he was not helping my mental state at all (he told me that seeing a female therapist wouldn't help me - it has).

There weren't any boundaries either. He never said I wasn't obliged to answer questions, he would text me at odd points to ask questions and would reply to emails at 2am. All of our sessions were with me writing (I think I have selective mutism) and he would get angry about that. He was incredibly critical of the people I chose to trust and talk to, which was why I ended our sessions (he didn't make that easy either).

My new therapist is lovely, and having a woman (as I was abused by a much older man) has made a big difference. She also understands the importance of art to me (it's saved me) and has no issues with me writing or not answering some questions. Much better. :smile:
Original post by Dee Leigh
What condition do you have?

Gender Identity Disorder, a.k.a. transsexuality.

They tell us that the only objective sign to show GID is depression, but if we are depressed, they will not treat the GID (they will treat the depression first)! But the depression cannot be treated without dealing with GID because GID is the cause of the depression. If the depression didn't exist, there'd be no reason to seek help with GID. And yet, you get influential people (moderators of help forums, that kind of thing) who will readily and openly give the advice, even before you ask, to cover up self-harms, do it in a place that is private, and don't tell the shrinks. You can't allow them to know, because it's not going to be helpful - you have to be patient and deal with the crippling depression alone whilst waiting for GID treatment.

No wonder I have trust issues with shrinks.
Not counselling, but I went with my girlfriend to her first ever session with a psychiatrist. It's pretty obvious she is mentally ill, she was assessed by a senior nurse first and all her notes pointed towards depression/anxiety/bipolar...

When we went in, he asked why was she here. He then asked me what would I diagnose her with. He then said that nothing was wrong with her.

One year and 5 suicide attempts later, now he's starting to be of any bloody use. But we haven't actually seen him again (luckily), she's just been going to the junior psychiatrists/senior nurse/support worker, who are just feeding him the information for him to assess. Hopefully we'll never see him again, what a bloody useless psychiatrist.
Reply 46
I am very fortunate to have had an excellent counsellor (who was my first) who helped me with a lot of issues. I'm sorry to hear that a lot of you had bad experiences, it must really be horrible - especially as they are people who are supposed to help you.
When I was 17 I was under CAHMS in my area and they were absolutely nuts. The woman basically just stopped my prescriptions for a serious stomach problem and told me she was worried I was going to commit suicide and not to do it. She never saw me for any appointments which was completely baffling, in fact all that happened was I turned 18 and they told me I could no longer be on their list. I don't think the whole thing could even be classed as a 'service'. I think I was transferred to adult services who were no better and in the end I told them to shove it and found a private therapist.

My private therapist thankfully is great. But it sucks that unless you are willing to self fund in this part of the country treatment is non-existant. I also suffer with anorexia and I purge, I don't consider it a joke and I would fall into the moderate-severe catagory but because there was also no eating disorder service in the area up until relatively recently they'd just make it so I was stable and ship me back out again. No one was interested in helping with the root cause until I went private.
Reply 48
Might as well of just been speaking to a brick wall, she just sat there staring at me as I spilled my guts out to her.. no emotion at all, more worried about filling in the smiley face sheets :/ lol my guidance teacher was 100 times more useful :smile:
Reply 49
My first counsellor was terrible. She made no effort, gave me worksheets for kids with anger management issues with "anger" crossed out and "anxiety" written instead, insisted on blaming my dad for everything that's wrong with me and sat around thinking up theories of what was up with me with my mum instead of actually TALKING to me and COUNSELLING me like you'd expect.

I went to one at university and he was good, but not quite exactly what I needed because he was male and although I hinted I'd be more comfortable with a female counsellor I was too scared to ask for one outright. He did, however, see through the front that I put up and recognise that I actually needed help. He was really kind and helpful as well so it was a much better experience the second time around.
Original post by Prestoria
I am very fortunate to have had an excellent counsellor (who was my first) who helped me with a lot of issues. I'm sorry to hear that a lot of you had bad experiences, it must really be horrible - especially as they are people who are supposed to help you.

I had 2 great counsellors (2nd one was really fantastic). Previously I'd seen a 'mentor', who was a bit of an a***, and yeah, it is pretty awful when you are vulnerable and at your lowest points and someone who is supposed to help you doesn't but does the opposite. :mad: :frown:

I'm over it now seeing I had great counsellors and I haven't seen the 'mentor' in a long time (a year and a half). I'm hoping to have CBT soon - hopefully I won't have an idiot for a therapist.
My male counsellor asked why I last went to my doctor and wanted to know specifics...I felt very uncomfortable. So I lied.

He also had this irritating habit of shaking his boot, like a real ankle wobbler, it made me want to grab it and twist it off.

Needless to say I didn't go back for another session.

But I did get a great counsellor at uni!
Reply 52
Not bad, but it didn't help me at all. It felt like i went there to cry and moan, while nothing was becoming clear to me. I'm now trying CBT and so far it's having a positive effect on me :smile: i know my thoughts and behaviours clearly, and what it soing on in my subconcious.
Reply 53
all my councellor does is say that she can't help but feel that my feelings are because of my parents. Like i just said i argue with my dad a lot and that i don't share anything but she's just like blablabla maybe it's like they're putting you down. and then she goes off topic and starts talking about her family and im just like yeah ok great story. and yeah i cant help but feel she's not taking me seriously.... ah well.
I have PTSD and anxiety problems. I have a lot of family issues at the moment, so my situations are constantly changing and new stuff keeps coming up. He said to me in my last session that I'm on 13 out of 20 sessions left and so much keeps happening he isn't sure where to start and what would i like to focus on. Well hmm, isn't he the person who should know what to focus on he should know whats best for me?

He's just completely moved on from my PTSD, even though its not solved, because he said the only way I'll get through it is if I talk through it with my mum, but he can't respect that I don't want to talk to her about it because she has her own problems, and my parents are stressed out enough as it is, she is about to have her jaw replaced and my dad is about to have part of his brain removed. Ive told him that every single session and he won't listen.
Original post by insignificant
I have PTSD and anxiety problems. I have a lot of family issues at the moment, so my situations are constantly changing and new stuff keeps coming up. He said to me in my last session that I'm on 13 out of 20 sessions left and so much keeps happening he isn't sure where to start and what would i like to focus on. Well hmm, isn't he the person who should know what to focus on he should know whats best for me?

He's just completely moved on from my PTSD, even though its not solved, because he said the only way I'll get through it is if I talk through it with my mum, but he can't respect that I don't want to talk to her about it because she has her own problems, and my parents are stressed out enough as it is, she is about to have her jaw replaced and my dad is about to have part of his brain removed. Ive told him that every single session and he won't listen.

Maybe as a counsellor, he's had no training in PTSD and thus doesn't know what to do about it? I've been diagnosed with PTSD and have just been referred to a Complex Cases Team at my local psychotherapy unit. The psychologists in my Early Intervention Service couldn't offer me therapy/counselling because they're not trained in trauma therapeutic techniques :nah:

:hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Maybe as a counsellor, he's had no training in PTSD and thus doesn't know what to do about it? I've been diagnosed with PTSD and have just been referred to a Complex Cases Team at my local psychotherapy unit. The psychologists in my Early Intervention Service couldn't offer me therapy/counselling because they're not trained in trauma therapeutic techniques :nah:

But if he isn't trained in it he should just come out and say it :frown: His way of trying to get me over it is talking and talking and talking about it until it doesn't retain its significance, but to me thats impossible. Its like desensitising yourself to stuff.
Original post by insignificant
But if he isn't trained in it he should just come out and say it :frown: His way of trying to get me over it is talking and talking and talking about it until it doesn't retain its significance, but to me thats impossible. Its like desensitising yourself to stuff.

Was it your GP who sent you to this counsellor? Maybe you need to go back and ask for a PTSD/trauma-specific one :dontknow:

I saw a counsellor for depression and anxiety, and he was completely useless. Every week I filled out the same sleep and mood diary, then spend the sessions watching him print articles off the internet for me to read at home. In the end I was transferred to somebody else because my GP concluded there was nothing else he could do for me. As though he ever did anything in the first place!

I never went to the new counsellor who was arranged for me because I spent two months on a waiting list, by which point I didn't feel the need for it because I was doing quite well by myself.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Was it your GP who sent you to this counsellor? Maybe you need to go back and ask for a PTSD/trauma-specific one :dontknow:

Yes it was my GP. I'm not even sure I have PTSD, I really don't think I do, I think its just my anxiety thats mainly bothering me. Urgh. I just think I'd be better off without this counsellor and having a go at trying to work through this myself. thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest