The Student Room Group

UCAS and Unis saying different things :/

I am currently applying to unis as a (very)late applicant so im aware my chances are slim and i might end up trying my luck with clearing.

I have emailed all the uni to cgeck they would accept applications st this stage however today I got a response from Dundee simply saying
" Unfortunately we are unable to consider late applications, due to receiving a high number of "on time" applications for limited places. "
but on UCAS for my course it states "open for new applications including extra"
Is this just a case of UCAS being out of date cause surely if UCAS is the only platform from which to apply from it should hold correct data.
It has really annoyed me because ive been trying to get everything done as quick as possible and now it might be the case that I acctually had no chance at all if all the unis are the same.
Reply 1
Thanks. I plan to apply anyway as Im thinking along the same line; there will be lots of students who dont get the marks and ones who get better marks and go elsewhere. I just wish the admissions people and ucas would keep the same party line on whether to allow applications.
Original post by Tinberry
I am currently applying to unis as a (very)late applicant so im aware my chances are slim and i might end up trying my luck with clearing.

I have emailed all the uni to cgeck they would accept applications st this stage however today I got a response from Dundee simply saying
" Unfortunately we are unable to consider late applications, due to receiving a high number of "on time" applications for limited places. "
but on UCAS for my course it states "open for new applications including extra"
Is this just a case of UCAS being out of date cause surely if UCAS is the only platform from which to apply from it should hold correct data.
It has really annoyed me because ive been trying to get everything done as quick as possible and now it might be the case that I acctually had no chance at all if all the unis are the same.

Ignore the previous answer. At this stage, anyone wishing to apply should certainly check with the universities concerned before submitting a late application (and I'd recommend a phone call, as a conversation can reveal information that an email will miss). The UCAS website is often out of date and you can certainly expect the admissions tutor for any course to be fully up to date with their own situation and policies. It would, therefore, be perverse to waste a choice on a course for which the admissions tutor has specifically stated that no consideration will be given to new applicants.

It is certainly true to say that all courses give more offers than there are places for but if you are told that they already have more than enough candidates and won't consider new ones it is time to take the hint.
Original post by justneedhelp
Hey,

Definitely do apply, you're right because UCAS is the only platform to apply from therefore they should hold correct data. Keep in mind that they have open applications as this is dependent on people not receiving their grades so that you can fill in for them. All universities over subscribe anyway, so still do apply. You're better off applying and not regretting it rather than not applying and regretting it :smile:

Awful advice. UCAS is a clearing house - they manage the applications, they aren't the oracle. In fact, the data on which universities are accepting applications is often incorrect, so the university should be believed in preference to UCAS.
Reply 4
Original post by justneedhelp
Hey,

Definitely do apply, you're right because UCAS is the only platform to apply from therefore they should hold correct data. Keep in mind that they have open applications as this is dependent on people not receiving their grades so that you can fill in for them. All universities over subscribe anyway, so still do apply. You're better off applying and not regretting it rather than not applying and regretting it :smile:

shut up.
You applied late, so this can happen. It all depends where your applying, what course and your grades. Unis like cambridge or Oxford arent going to take on late apps, popular courses aren't going to have any places, (economics, medical ect) and grades. If your applying late applying to unis above your entry requirement isn't going to work. Although they may have spaces, the rush to fill them doesnt begin til clearing. They'll still be picking the best from the pile ATM. There are courses still going, I just got an offer through extra only a week after applying. Call the admissions and ask, it takes 5 mins, you may not get your dream Uni but you'll get one. Ucas can be wrong, but students should really check anyway. It's your education and your responsibility. Either that or apply for 2013 before the january deadline?
Reply 6
I already have everything set up on ucas for this year and im not going to wait until next year to go back to uni. I already have a degree and this will be my secind after 2 years out so im not straight out of school. So time isnt on my side. Also even if all places reject me as a new entry can't I still use extra or then clearing to get a place?

I was told to email so that things were in writing. I got an email from edinburgh this afternoon saying that I could have a place if I was from 'the rest of the uk' category but not 'scots and eu' which I find highly unfair. If you have a spsce you have a space. I am not being funded for this degree and having to pay my own way so why does location come in to it either way you think im good enough and you get youre money. I have results and experience that superseed the entry equirements and the courses im applying to are not 'high class' ie not economics or law etc which is why I thought and UCAS seemed to confirm I had a chance but I guess I can only hope for clearing if it display inaccurate info.
even if all places reject me as a new entry can't I still use extra or then clearing to get a place?

Of course, theoretically, but you really don't have time to mess about with all that and the places are unlikely to be available in many cases. So make your choices after careful enquiry. Indeed, you best bet may be clearing.

I am not being funded for this degree and having to pay my own way

Then you should tell them this. You will be treated as an international applicant and may find a place where other UK students wouldn't.
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke

Then you should tell them this. You will be treated as an international applicant and may find a place where other UK students wouldn't.

I have informed them of my fee status but am await a reply. Everyone is taking their time to respond (i guess due to busy time of the year) but I hate this waiting game when its so close to deadlines. Though this was my lack of planning Im trying my best to get stuff done as fast as possible but keep getting stalled along the way :/
(edited 11 years ago)
I hate this waiting game when its so close to deadlines

Which is why one should always do important things in good time. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Good bloke
Which is why one should always do important things in good time. :smile:

Very true.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 11
Hey I'm applying for UCAS Extra, but when selecting the University to apply to, it says 'entry point'. I dont understand this as it provides numbers from 0 - 7 and it's confusing me.
Please help!! :smile:
Original post by jicjax
Hey I'm applying for UCAS Extra, but when selecting the University to apply to, it says 'entry point'. I dont understand this as it provides numbers from 0 - 7 and it's confusing me.
Please help!! :smile:

Entry point means year, so if you want to start the first year of an undergraduate degree you put entry point 1, if you want 2nd year entry then you put entry point 2. For foundation years before progressing to an undergraduate level course it is entry point 0.

Quick Reply

Latest