The Student Room Group

General Mature Students Thread

I'll soon be enrolling on an Access Course (evenings/nights) hopefully to be studying Psychology, Sociology and either English Language/Literature or Law :ahee: Hopefully, I'll be studying either Psychology or Law at University. With the introduction of part-time tuition fee loans, I'm hoping to enroll on a part-time course (evenings/nights) while also keeping my job. But what are YOU doing?

Are you studying part-time while working full-time, or studying full-time while working part-time? What made you get back into Education? What route did you use? What subjects did you study? What are you hoping to study/what did you study at University?

Just a general thread/discussion for Mature Students :bigsmile:

Mature Students, UNITE :ahee:
We will be studying fulltime and working zero time.

We are going because we have always planned to go. I am going to study the subject, thats it, my motivation is purely academic. We both wish to do postgrad afterwards.

We did not use a route, I had O levels from 1979 and A levels from 1981, my wife had O levels from 1980. We both have some OU modules from the late 1980s to the early 1990s. We applied on that basis. I start in early October and my wife starts late September and we cant wait, it has been a pain since we have had our unconditional offers since December.....we are so bored with waiting to start that it is hard to describe.
Reply 2
Hello,
now that my two girls are at school and i have the time, I want to start working on my dream of studying Biology, Zoology or Veterinary Nursing.

I am just in the process of applying for the Access to HE starting in Sept. My interview is next week and after that I need to do the english and maths evaluation.

The Main subjects I want do are Biology, Science and Maths.
Original post by evening sunrise

We are going because we have always planned to go. I am going to study the subject, thats it, my motivation is purely academic. We both wish to do postgrad afterwards.

We did not use a route, I had O levels from 1979 and A levels from 1981, my wife had O levels from 1980. We both have some OU modules from the late 1980s to the early 1990s. We applied on that basis. I start in early October and my wife starts late September and we cant wait, it has been a pain since we have had our unconditional offers since December.....we are so bored with waiting to start that it is hard to describe.

Well, I wish you both the best of luck for when you start! :awesome:
Original post by DaniD
Hello,
now that my two girls are at school and i have the time, I want to start working on my dream of studying Biology, Zoology or Veterinary Nursing.

I am just in the process of applying for the Access to HE starting in Sept. My interview is next week and after that I need to do the english and maths evaluation.

The Main subjects I want do are Biology, Science and Maths.

Ah, now that you've got the time, you want to indulge in some studying? :hat:

Yeah, the evaluation is just to see weather you need to re-do the Mathematics and English GCSE's or equivalents. I've already got both the equivalents, and I have Engish at grade C GCSE, I only got a D or E for Mathematics at the time, though. :s-smilie:

Good luck for when you start, I'll be doing Psychology, Sociology and English Language with Literature! :smartass:
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Well, I wish you both the best of luck for when you start! :awesome:

Cheers. Likewise
Reply 6
Ah, now that you've got the time, you want to indulge in some studying? :hat:

Yeah, the evaluation is just to see weather you need to re-do the Mathematics and English GCSE's or equivalents. I've already got both the equivalents, and I have Engish at grade C GCSE, I only got a D or E for Mathematics at the time, though. :s-smilie:

Good luck for when you start, I'll be doing Psychology, Sociology and English Language with Literature! :smartass:

Thank you, and good luck to you as well :smile:

Just had my interview and they made me the offer to do the Access Course at the college :biggrin:
Got the math and english evaluation on thursday and then its just the case of waiting to start in September!

I am doing Biology, Science and Geography :smile:
Original post by DaniD
Thank you, and good luck to you as well :smile:

Just had my interview and they made me the offer to do the Access Course at the college :biggrin:
Got the math and english evaluation on thursday and then its just the case of waiting to start in September!

I am doing Biology, Science and Geography :smile:

Thank you!

Ah, sounds like everything's falling into place. This time next year you'll be at University, presuming you're not taking a gap year! :smile:
Reply 8
But what are YOU doing?

Are you studying part-time while working full-time, or studying full-time while working part-time? What made you get back into Education? What route did you use? What subjects did you study? What are you hoping to study/what did you study at University?

Just a general thread/discussion for Mature Students :bigsmile:

Im doing an Access to Art & Design (one week left!), my course is only three days a week so Ive been able to work part-time which was a bit hard regarding the workload from school but with no funding it was unavoidable.

I will be starting Theatre Design at Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama in September. Its full-time, 9-5 every day so I will not be able to work, but Ill getting the student loan so Ill be fine.

I have really good A-levels but chose to do the access course because I didnt take Art at A-level and I didnt have a portfolio. Also Ive been working for several years so it was a good reintroduction to education.

Good luck with your access course!
Original post by Philemon
Im doing an Access to Art & Design (one week left!), my course is only three days a week so Ive been able to work part-time which was a bit hard regarding the workload from school but with no funding it was unavoidable.

I will be starting Theatre Design at Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama in September. Its full-time, 9-5 every day so I will not be able to work, but Ill getting the student loan so Ill be fine.

I have really good A-levels but chose to do the access course because I didnt take Art at A-level and I didnt have a portfolio. Also Ive been working for several years so it was a good reintroduction to education.

Sound reasoning, sound approach all the very best with the degree.
Original post by Philemon

It's all sounding good! Well my Access Course will be on nights, so I'll be working during the day, everyday. As I'll get no funding either, it's unavoidable.

I also did a BTEC, but that was purely in ICT and partly Business. So I have no choice really. If I want to study Psychology or Law, I'll have to do them with the Access Course!

Thank you. Looks like you've almost done yours then, good luck with University! :^_^:

TEEHEE

Im 23. Been made redundant three times in the past two years. Dont want to be working for minimum wage anymore and education seems the best route to tackle that unless I get on "Apprentice" :smile: Got accepted on an Access course for september. Dont know wether im going to be studying either Religious Education/Teaching or Law in UNI yet. Going to study Full time and struggle it out for a few years and then see how the job market is after I get a degree.

:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jiraya Sama
TEEHEE

Im 23, Married. Been made redundant three times in the past two years. Dont want to be working for minimum wage anymore and education seems the best route to tackle that unless I get on "Apprentice" :smile: Got accepted on an Access course for september. Dont know wether im going to be studying either Religious Education/Teaching or Law in UNI yet. Going to study Full time and struggle it out for a few years and then see how the job market is after I get a degree.

:biggrin:

Sounds like a good reason to get back into Education. :^_^: You've always got loans and grants if you're studying full-time, so it shouldn't be that bad. It's do-able. I'm an Apprentice (I'm at work right now :K:), and it has good prospects. I just want to study for something I enjoy. :awesome:
Original post by evening sunrise

I am also bored of waiting, although slightly apprehensive about having enough hours in the day lol.
Reply 14
any mature students looking to or are studying at cambridge????????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending