The Student Room Group

TSR Bollywood Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asif007
You beat me by 4 minutes! :biggrin:

Edit: The film does look epic. So much better than the action scenes we saw in Wanted, Dabangg and Bodyguard. ETT is on a whole new level altogether, I can't wait! :biggrin:

Although why the teaser didn't show anything of Katrina's character, is a mystery to me. :s-smilie:

Agent Vinod beat ETT to the class action scenes it seems :rolleyes:
Reply 4221
Original post by asif007
I'm definitely not the first person to declare my love for all movies from both Bollywood and Hollywood. The 2 industries seem to be very well connected and we have stars regularly acting in films on both sides of the world. For example, Anil Kapoor appeared in 24 as well as Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and Slumdog Millionaire. Irrfan Khan will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man reboot and Mallika Sherawat played a role in a film called Hisss (although it wasn't very successful). Not to mention cameo roles from Sylvester Stallone, Denise Richards and Brandon Routh in Kambakkt Ishq.

So as comparisons will always be drawn between Bollywood and Hollywood actors/producers/directors/film crews, do you think the following are accurate enough in terms of status, success and acting styles in the respective industries? These are some of my opinions:

-Shah Rukh Khan = Tom Cruise/Denzel Washington/Johnny Depp

-Salman Khan = Sylvester Stallone

-Hrithik Roshan = Ryan Reynolds/Bradley Cooper/Ashton Kutcher/Hugh Jackman

-Kareena Kapoor/Priyanka Chopra/Katrina Kaif/Anushka Sharma/Aishwarya Rai = Angelina Jolie/Charlize Theron/Mila Kunis/Katherine Heigl/Cameron Diaz

-Akshay Kumar = Nicolas Cage/Steve McQueen/Jean Claude Van Damme

-Ranbir Kapoor/Shahid Kapoor/Imran Khan = Will Smith

-Ajay Devgan = Bruce Willis/John Travolta/Robert Downey Jr

-Amitabh Bachchan = Clint Eastwood/Sean Connery/Donald Sutherland

-Yash Chopra = Ivan Reitman

-Prabhu Deva/Vijay Krishna Acharya/Kabir Khan = Michael Bay/Christopher Nolan

-Govinda = Jack Black

Are you freaking kidding me here... comparing Christopher Nolan with Prabhu Deva - he has directed Wanted which was good no doubt but not even 1/100 of Nolan's films in any aspect whatsoever?

And Govinda with Jack Black... I don't understand how have you drawn comparisons here...
Reply 4222
Hey have you guys seen Vicky Donor?

The cast was very good they all acted very well!

I'd give it 3.5/5
Original post by asif007
I'm definitely not the first person to declare my love for all movies from both Bollywood and Hollywood. The 2 industries seem to be very well connected and we have stars regularly acting in films on both sides of the world. For example, Anil Kapoor appeared in 24 as well as Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and Slumdog Millionaire. Irrfan Khan will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man reboot and Mallika Sherawat played a role in a film called Hisss (although it wasn't very successful). Not to mention cameo roles from Sylvester Stallone, Denise Richards and Brandon Routh in Kambakkt Ishq.

So as comparisons will always be drawn between Bollywood and Hollywood actors/producers/directors/film crews, do you think the following are accurate enough in terms of status, success and acting styles in the respective industries? These are some of my opinions:

-Shah Rukh Khan = Tom Cruise/Denzel Washington/Johnny Depp

-Salman Khan = Sylvester Stallone

-Hrithik Roshan = Ryan Reynolds/Bradley Cooper/Ashton Kutcher/Hugh Jackman

-Kareena Kapoor/Priyanka Chopra/Katrina Kaif/Anushka Sharma/Aishwarya Rai = Angelina Jolie/Charlize Theron/Mila Kunis/Katherine Heigl/Cameron Diaz

-Akshay Kumar = Nicolas Cage/Steve McQueen/Jean Claude Van Damme

-Ranbir Kapoor/Shahid Kapoor/Imran Khan = Will Smith

-Ajay Devgan = Bruce Willis/John Travolta/Robert Downey Jr

-Amitabh Bachchan = Clint Eastwood/Sean Connery/Donald Sutherland

-Yash Chopra = Ivan Reitman

-Prabhu Deva/Vijay Krishna Acharya/Kabir Khan = Michael Bay/Christopher Nolan

-Govinda = Jack Black

What an inaccurate comparison lol! Sorry..*

My comparison:

SRK: Tom Cruise
Aamir: Tom Hanks
Amitabh: Clint Eastwood (without the direction element)
Anurag Kashyap: Tarantino (in that he's an acquired taste)
Akshay Kumar: Mark Whalberg
Govinda: Jim Carrey (uncanny comparison as both can act but they often choose the wrong film.. detrimenting their career).

Thats about it. There is only one Johnny Depp, and bollywood doesn't offer anyone near to him considering our cinema is very limited. Same goes for Nolan, its an insult to compare him to the talentless douches you've named in the list. Prabhu Deva and Vijay Krishna Acharya WTF?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by joy12
Are you freaking kidding me here... comparing Christopher Nolan with Prabhu Deva - he has directed Wanted which was good no doubt but not even 1/100 of Nolan's films in any aspect whatsoever?

And Govinda with Jack Black... I don't understand how have you drawn comparisons here...

Jeez, there's no need to get so offended! I never said that Christopher Nolan was as good as Prabhu Deva. Maybe I should have been clearer - my comparisons were based on the impact that each person's films have created in their respective industries. In fact, I agree that Wanted doesn't match anywhere near the scale and intensity of Nolan's films. For Nolan, the Batman series and Inception established him as a world-class action director and a maker of quality films. For Prabhu Deva, Wanted and Rowdy Rathore have also established him as a successful action movie director in Bollywood. Whether their films are as good as each other is a different debate. Govinda and Jack Black are both established comedy actors in Bollywood and Hollywood respectively, so I compared them. Regardless of whether their films are as good as each other or not.

So I will keep both industries completely separate and independent of each other in my mind, yes?. :eek:

Original post by rickjames
What an inaccurate comparison lol! Sorry..*

My comparison:

SRK: Tom Cruise
Aamir: Tom Hanks
Amitabh: Clint Eastwood (without the direction element)
Anurag Kashyap: Tarantino (in that he's an acquired taste)
Akshay Kumar: Mark Whalberg
Govinda: Jim Carrey (uncanny comparison as both can act but they often choose the wrong film.. detrimenting their career).

Thats about it. There is only one Johnny Depp, and bollywood doesn't offer anyone near to him considering our cinema is very limited. Same goes for Nolan, its an insult to compare him to the talentless douches you've named in the list. Prabhu Deva and Vijay Krishna Acharya WTF?

Fair enough. At least you put it gently. :smile:

Johnny Depp is a method and character actor, as is Ajay Devgan. That's where my comparison comes from.

I wouldn't go as far as to call PD and VKA "talentless douches". That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Yes, I understand that their films might not be on the same scale as similar Hollywood films - but are you telling me you didn't even enjoy Wanted, Tashan or Dhoom 1 & 2? :s-smilie:

At least I know now that comparing Hollywood and Bollywood movies/film crews/actors is a very touchy topic. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
So, to start afresh...

I read recently that Ishaqzaade and Dangerous Ishq are not releasing in the UK on 11th May, as they were in India. But there's still no sign of when they might come to UK screens... Are we even going to see them at all? I've checked the upcoming films on cinema websites and can't find Ishaqzaade or Dangerous Ishq anywhere...

Anyone know what's going on? When are they releasing here? :s-smilie:

Also, Teri Meri Kahaani may have a premiere in the UK! I sure hope it does - then I can finally go to a Bollywood movie premiere in my home city! :biggrin:

http://bollynewsuk.com/2012/04/11/teri-meri-kahaani-to-have-a-uk-premiere/

(Read the "Important Updates" section on the right hand side of the above webpage for the info about Ishaqzaade and Dangerous Ishq).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by asif007

Fair enough. At least you put it gently. :smile:

Johnny Depp is a method and character actor, as is Ajay Devgan. That's where my comparison comes from.

I wouldn't go as far as to call PD and VKA "talentless douches". That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Yes, I understand that their films might not be on the same scale as similar Hollywood films - but are you telling me you didn't even enjoy Wanted, Tashan or Dhoom 1 & 2? :s-smilie:

Wanted was a hit because of Salman Khan and the music directors, not PD. The movie itself had the worst dialogues, worst story, most unrealistic fight scenes and cheesey sound effects. Tashan was a super flop, and Dhoom 1 and 2 sold on star power, not substance. Watch the movie again, ignoring the big names (perhaps showing it to someone who doesn't watch much bollywood would be a good test) and you'l see how bad they were. The director went on to made Kidnap, no stars there, hence the bomb at the box office.

Infact, my respect for Aamir Khan for choosing Dhoom 3 went down a little, he must have chosen it for the character because the movie will be complete S if its VKA again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4227
I watched Ishaqzaade, its a very very good film, I'd give it a 4/5, Parineeti's acting is really outstanding. Arjun kapoor also does a wonderful job in the movie, the dialogues are very good, screenplay is crisp and story keeps you on the edge. Music is very addictive.

arjun kapoor looks a lot like abhishek bachan, arjun is a better version of junior bachan
Found an answer to my own question (above) about the release of Ishaqzaade in the UK. Turns out it isn't opening in the UK until this Friday, 18th May. At least we definitely will see it now! :smile:

http://www.glamsham.com/movies/scoops/12/may/16-news-arjun-parineetis-ishaqzaade-to-release-in-uk-us-this-week-0512.asp
Reply 4229
I watched Jannat 2 yesterday, its average, the actress reminds of you of Angelina Jolie... her side profile looks like her... the movie is easily avoidable...

i'd give it 1.5/5
Original post by joy12
I watched Ishaqzaade, its a very very good film, I'd give it a 4/5, Parineeti's acting is really outstanding. Arjun kapoor also does a wonderful job in the movie, the dialogues are very good, screenplay is crisp and story keeps you on the edge. Music is very addictive.

arjun kapoor looks a lot like abhishek bachan, arjun is a better version of junior bachan

How can Arjun be a better version of Abhishek than Abhishek.

No offence but I voided your entire review based on that one line.. which is OK logic considering you voided all of Abhishek's work (Yuva, Guru, Dum Maaro Dum, etc) based on one film from a debut actor.
Reply 4231
How can Arjun be a better version of Abhishek than Abhishek.

No offence but I voided your entire review based on that one line.. which is OK logic considering you voided all of Abhishek's work (Yuva, Guru, Dum Maaro Dum, etc) based on one film from a debut actor.

None taken, it is my personal opinion. You don't have to take it to your grave. My views haven't changed on Arjun Kapoor, he looks like junior B and he acts better.
Original post by joy12
None taken, it is my personal opinion. You don't have to take it to your grave. My views haven't changed on Arjun Kapoor, he looks like junior B and he acts better.

So his acting in the movie was greater than stellar performances seen in Guru Yuva DMD etc?

I really want to hear this, considering I've seen Ishaqzaadhe myself and know exactly how his acting compares.
Reply 4233
So his acting in the movie was greater than stellar performances seen in Guru Yuva DMD etc?

I really want to hear this, considering I've seen Ishaqzaadhe myself and know exactly how his acting compares.

Oh God! What part of "It is my personal opinion" you don't understand? Get over it! I hope you are not Junior B lol!
Original post by Happyness
Its extremely odd how non-hindi speaking people actually like watching bollywood, where you wouldn't get any movie of the same caliber as those in the mainstream of Hollywood. Why, there was a thread recently about Bollywood plagiarising everything off Hollywood, and still you guys like watching these movies.

I mean i can understand why Desi people would watch them, but i never knew non-desi's were into it as well!

Oh, yea, Urdu is very similar to Hindi, with only a few variations between the two in terms of the vocab used. So what makes you like Bollywood movies?

If you dont like it then dont watch it. There are a lot of great Bollywood movies that are originals like Lagaan, Dor and one of bollywood's recently released movie, Kahaani, made it into imdb's
have you heard of Satyajit Ray? His movies were were appreciated in Hollywood and he even got an honourary lifetime oscar award
The thing is its hard to compare Bollywood and Hollywood. Bollywood movies are all musicals and many are escapist movies made for the general public of Asia who watch movies to escape from reality. Also, many non-desis like bollywood movies for their portrayal of indian culture and history as well as the colour and glamour. It's like saying tehre are lot of good ways to exercise that are strenuous and can result in a fit body so why do people like Yoga then? ANd yoga is popular worldwide.

A couple of my non-desi friends are into bollywood movies for their classic romance, the songs, colour and portrayal of different cultures. I encourage their fascination and tell them about new bollywood movies. They have also been to India and loved it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by joy12
I watched Jannat 2 yesterday, its average, the actress reminds of you of Angelina Jolie... her side profile looks like her... the movie is easily avoidable...

i'd give it 1.5/5

Haven't seen it myself... because it did look kinda crappy
and the story line seemed predictable
I like the songs in it though.... O.O
A week ago I watched Desi Boyz with John Abraham and Akshay Kumar. Its really funny! Has anyone else watched it? :smile:
Original post by asif007
I've recently downloaded a copy of Kahaani from the internet but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I had a flick through the movie and it looks very intriguing so it's definitely at the top of my list, along with a few others I haven't seen yet. :smile:

I have a habit of watching remakes of Bollywood films before watching the originals. For example, I've seen Don 1-2 and Agneepath but haven't seen the originals yet... I really should though, seeing as Amitabh Bachchan re-defined the angry young man role in Bollywood. And the fact that there is a remake of Zanjeer in development just goes to show how his films are timeless classics - so they must be worth watching! I will download some of those and report back with my opinions soon.

Are there any other older movies (i.e. from before 1990) that you recommend? I've seen Sholay, Kabhi Kabhie and the original Umrao Jaan, but that's about it... :s-smilie:

Hey Asif mate
sorry i havent replied for a while. Did you get around to watching Kahani? It seriously blew me away and apparently there is a massive fan following especially around some of the characters in teh story. I definitely recommend the originals to those remakes because the acting and plot line is usually better. Glamour and cinematography may be better in the remakes but the storylines are def better in the originals.

There are a lot of great 80s movies. What type would you be into? Bazaar, Maine Pyar Kiya, Rudaali, Aandhi, Silsila etc are pretty good.

Love this song

Also i have this song from AGent Vinod called "Rabta" completely stuck in my head.
all the best for exams if you have them this month. Seems like a lot of tsr have exams around about now.
Original post by asif007
I agree, the experience of sitting in a packed cinema where everyone cheers for the stars on screen is just amazing. It's so much fun watching how other people react when watching a new film. I've only been to 2 films in which the screen was packed out (Dabangg and Bodyguard), and both times I went on the opening night when the excitement is at it's highest. Both times I saw random guys dancing in the aisles when Salman's songs came on (and especially when Katrina rocked in her item song)! And that's one of the reasons I love Bollywood movies so much more than Hollywood - because there's infinite excitement surrounding all Indian movie actors/actresses. You would never see that in a Hollywood movie of similar story and content!

I haven't been to any premieres either, even though they happen all the time in London. I was away at uni while the premiere of Ra.One took place in Leicester Square and even though several movies have been made literally within 10 miles of my home (e.g. Desi Boyz was filmed on my route to school), I've just never been lucky enough to see them at the right time! I've never been to India and in Pakistan (where I've been many times), the Bollywood craze isn't as big as it is in India and the UK. :s-smilie:

I don't know any Caucasian people who watch Bollywood movies, even though I tell them that the movies always come with subtitles for people who don't understand Hindi. In fact most of my friends (including Indian people who speak Hindi fluently) are bordering on ignorance because even though I'm always talking about Bollywood movies, they just don't understand how much contribution Bollywood makes to the global entertainment industry. The problem that my Indian friends have is that they sometimes don't even acknowledge that Bollywood movies exist, despite the fact that they would hear a lot more about it from their families in India.

You make a good point about why my fellow dance group members don't watch Bollywood movies. I've sometimes thought that maybe people are embarrassed by talking about Bollywood, because somehow it's "too cheesy" and maybe even has stigma attached to it. As some people have said to me, Bollywood movies are "just lots of guys and girls dancing round trees screwing lightbulbs and patting dogs". :mad: For one of my dance groups in particular, it amazes me that people just ignore the films even though we have to take inspiration from them for our routines. I'm a person who learns dance moves from Bollywood films very easily, so I took advantage of this by showing the other dancers some of these moves. I did Salman Khan's famous belt shifting from Dabangg and nobody knew what I was doing. I showed them some of the moves from Chammak Chalo and Desi Boyz (both of which we were performing to) and they all said I was wrong when none of them have even seen these movies (that much I confirmed: I asked whether they had seen Desi Boyz or Ra.One and they all said no). I would have been fine with it if someone had corrected me or given me some criticism about how I performed the moves but no-one did - then the choreographers proceeded to look up the videos on YouTube and say that I was, in fact, correct. Cheek! :s-smilie:

I'm 100% sure that no-one in my group has seen anything since ZNMD. The most recent film anyone has seen before ZNMD is Singh Is Kinng. As a result of this, most of the routines with this dance group have become street dance rather than taking inspiration from the movies. Even for festival songs like Dholi Taro Dhol Baaje, Tapkey Masti and Maurya Re (which require lots of movement around the stage) - we often just dance on the spot. As you can tell, this group isn't working for me so I'm concentrating on the other two! :biggrin:

True, they may be lying about how many Bollywood movies they've seen. But I think that's completely pointless - why hide your love for Bollywood just because other people do? I rave about Bollywood all the time and frankly I don't care if someone calls me a freshie because they're just narrow-minded. I don't complain when they talk about their parties or other things they enjoy. Unfortunately there is a culture in the UK of people being called freshie for various things, but Bollywood should not be one of them. Bollywood is a global industry and worshipped by millions of people all over the world. :smile:

Unfortunately there aren't any societies that screen Bollywood movies here. My 3 dance groups are all I have. :frown: But I've got plenty of movies to choose from and as I can't get anyone else to watch them with me, I'll have to be happy with just watching them on my own! The first Bollywood songs I remember hearing were from 1942 A Love Story (1993) so I've been obsessed for a very long time! The only people my age whom I used to watch a few (but not many) Bollywood films with have all gone their separate ways now so no luck there! Yes, if only you were here, we could watch millions of Bollywood movies together! And the weather in London isn't that bad - it's bearable but it's nothing in comparison to Australia!

Ahun Ahun is a great song, sounds like you had a lot of fun dancing to it! And did you manage to see any of the filming at your university for We Are Family? What about other movies that have been made in Australia? De Dana Dan, Salaam Namaste, Crook... any of those? :biggrin:

I forgot to add Khuda Gawa to my list of good 80s movies. Sri Devi acts well in it and Amitabh is great plus you get to see a bit of the Afghani/Pathan culture. There are some amazing songs in that movie as well.

I agree with the excitment on watching a sold out film. The atmosphere is electric. I think the only film i went to that was sold out was Devdas and that was amazing. Watching the big historical epics in the cinema is amazing. Even action films appear amazing on big screen. I havent seen random dancing during the songs but then i havent seen a Katrina item number on big screen.

I watched two random movies today on teenage love. They were actually not bad quite interesting. One was mera pehla pehla pyar hai and the other was teree sang. It was interesting.

I like Bollywood more than Hollywood because its larger than life, the actors/actresses have more excitment surrounding them and you can actually sort of relate to them in a way. In Hollywood you would hardly see a brown/asian person being the central character or being seen as an individual rather than being stereotyped. I also like Brit Asian movies for this reason also..because its very real.

That is awesome that desi boys was filmed near where you study. I really enjoyed that film and ive heard its based on an indian and pakistani guy who took to such a job after the financial meltdown. thats what akshay kumar said in interview. how true it is no one knows.

I have some caucasian friends who watch bollywood movies. They are pretty open minded and well travelled though. SOme of them are studying many languages. I also have asian and middle eastern friends who dont understand hindi/urdu who watch bollywood movies like some south indian friends and sri lankan friends (my sri lankan friend only watches aamir khan movies like Lagaan). Then there are sub categories. Apparently, chinese girls/oriental girls really liek Shahid Kapur and the Persian girls like john Abraham because he has some family originally from Iran.
My Russian and Iranian friends (of my parents generation) like Raj Kapoor and Rishi Kapoor and think of them as heart throbs.

Just goes to show like you said how international teh industry can be. I like how a number of actors are coming from world over and it seems more diverse. Even the stories set abroad are less stereotypical and more harmonious. Stories like Jhootha hi sahi starring John Abraham which showed harmonious relationships between Asians living in Amsterdam as well as a gay friendly plotline.
I wouls also recommend My brother Nihil . It is a very touching film with some great songs.

I don't understand why your group members shy away from Bollywood movies. Maybe they are embarrassed by the cheesiness or they dont want to be defined or stereotyped by it. In AUstralia lots of caucasian people watch it. I was on placement and I had this German guy and his wife who were both doctors in this far off town. The wife really liked the colour and songs of Bollywood movies and said she really wanted to got to an asian wedding. Sometimes i think Asians, or more Indians, are ashamed of the really out there celebrations we have and how we are so over dramatic and emotional compared to others. Like we have songs for sad occasions, happy occasions all occasions of life. I think that is great and you can really see that culture in Bollywood movies whether it is Punjabi, Gujurati, Afghani culture etc or culture from Mughal times or pre-Mughal times.

Dance moves are also reduced to simply being pat the dog and screw teh light bulb. But that is just reduced so people not familiar with dance styles can join in. I have a sister who did some traditional dance and her teacher said that a lot of the traditional dance in India like kathak and other traditional dance styles has influenced many south american dances like the flamenco for example..which was influenced by asian dance styles and carried by the gypsies into south america.

But that is just one step in one form of dance i.e. Bhangra. There are so many o different other dance traditions that you can enjoy when you see movies..like the garba as you might see in movies like Hum dil de chuke sanam.

I feel like lots of Indians in the UK sound quite whitewashed and i am unsure why that is. Maybe they are trying harder to seem white so they can fit in but that's sad. What they will realise in the end is that you can't run away from your background might as well appreciate it. All cultures have beautiful aspects to them and i like to appreciate the good of all cultures. They may also have bad aspects but does not mean you need to focus on that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by asif007
I agree, the experience of sitting in a packed cinema where everyone cheers for the stars on screen is just amazing. It's so much fun watching how other people react when watching a new film. I've only been to 2 films in which the screen was packed out (Dabangg and Bodyguard), and both times I went on the opening night when the excitement is at it's highest. Both times I saw random guys dancing in the aisles when Salman's songs came on (and especially when Katrina rocked in her item song)! And that's one of the reasons I love Bollywood movies so much more than Hollywood - because there's infinite excitement surrounding all Indian movie actors/actresses. You would never see that in a Hollywood movie of similar story and content!

I haven't been to any premieres either, even though they happen all the time in London. I was away at uni while the premiere of Ra.One took place in Leicester Square and even though several movies have been made literally within 10 miles of my home (e.g. Desi Boyz was filmed on my route to school), I've just never been lucky enough to see them at the right time! I've never been to India and in Pakistan (where I've been many times), the Bollywood craze isn't as big as it is in India and the UK. :s-smilie:

I don't know any Caucasian people who watch Bollywood movies, even though I tell them that the movies always come with subtitles for people who don't understand Hindi. In fact most of my friends (including Indian people who speak Hindi fluently) are bordering on ignorance because even though I'm always talking about Bollywood movies, they just don't understand how much contribution Bollywood makes to the global entertainment industry. The problem that my Indian friends have is that they sometimes don't even acknowledge that Bollywood movies exist, despite the fact that they would hear a lot more about it from their families in India.

You make a good point about why my fellow dance group members don't watch Bollywood movies. I've sometimes thought that maybe people are embarrassed by talking about Bollywood, because somehow it's "too cheesy" and maybe even has stigma attached to it. As some people have said to me, Bollywood movies are "just lots of guys and girls dancing round trees screwing lightbulbs and patting dogs". :mad: For one of my dance groups in particular, it amazes me that people just ignore the films even though we have to take inspiration from them for our routines. I'm a person who learns dance moves from Bollywood films very easily, so I took advantage of this by showing the other dancers some of these moves. I did Salman Khan's famous belt shifting from Dabangg and nobody knew what I was doing. I showed them some of the moves from Chammak Chalo and Desi Boyz (both of which we were performing to) and they all said I was wrong when none of them have even seen these movies (that much I confirmed: I asked whether they had seen Desi Boyz or Ra.One and they all said no). I would have been fine with it if someone had corrected me or given me some criticism about how I performed the moves but no-one did - then the choreographers proceeded to look up the videos on YouTube and say that I was, in fact, correct. Cheek! :s-smilie:

I'm 100% sure that no-one in my group has seen anything since ZNMD. The most recent film anyone has seen before ZNMD is Singh Is Kinng. As a result of this, most of the routines with this dance group have become street dance rather than taking inspiration from the movies. Even for festival songs like Dholi Taro Dhol Baaje, Tapkey Masti and Maurya Re (which require lots of movement around the stage) - we often just dance on the spot. As you can tell, this group isn't working for me so I'm concentrating on the other two! :biggrin:

True, they may be lying about how many Bollywood movies they've seen. But I think that's completely pointless - why hide your love for Bollywood just because other people do? I rave about Bollywood all the time and frankly I don't care if someone calls me a freshie because they're just narrow-minded. I don't complain when they talk about their parties or other things they enjoy. Unfortunately there is a culture in the UK of people being called freshie for various things, but Bollywood should not be one of them. Bollywood is a global industry and worshipped by millions of people all over the world. :smile:

Unfortunately there aren't any societies that screen Bollywood movies here. My 3 dance groups are all I have. :frown: But I've got plenty of movies to choose from and as I can't get anyone else to watch them with me, I'll have to be happy with just watching them on my own! The first Bollywood songs I remember hearing were from 1942 A Love Story (1993) so I've been obsessed for a very long time! The only people my age whom I used to watch a few (but not many) Bollywood films with have all gone their separate ways now so no luck there! Yes, if only you were here, we could watch millions of Bollywood movies together! And the weather in London isn't that bad - it's bearable but it's nothing in comparison to Australia!

Ahun Ahun is a great song, sounds like you had a lot of fun dancing to it! And did you manage to see any of the filming at your university for We Are Family? What about other movies that have been made in Australia? De Dana Dan, Salaam Namaste, Crook... any of those? :biggrin:

You sound like a pro with the dancing. If you come to AUs ever or if im in the Uk you must teach me some moves. I had to dance to subha hone na de from desi boys and i was not prepared and my performance was painful to say the least. And i was performing this in front of some aunties so it was kind of awkward. ANyway my friend dragged me so i had no choice. I love the songs from 1942 Love story..def very melodious.

Here we dont have so many bollywood clubs but lots of asians here watch bollywood but since we are a small community we dont get many people coming to Aus for anything. I think Srk came once for a concert but that was ages ago and couldnt go. We get a lot of singers though. Rahat Fateh Ali Khan came this yr and he was pretty awesome. As were KK and Sonu Nigam. We should def catch up some time in London and watch heaps of Bollywood movies. Ive been trying to apply for a medical elective in London but having no success and running out of time. Where i live its sunny most times but sometimes it can get pretty cold.

I didnt get to see any filming for we are family or othe other movies you mentioned :frown:Love the songs from croook and salaam namaste. Im from sydney so i could recognise places where crook was shot but was totally lost at salaam namaste because thats melbourne. Some of my melbourne friends saw saif and preity shopping in Melbourne though. but i did get to see some filming for Chak de India and got to see srk live while they were doing the hockey scenes. Unfortunately, I wasnt colourful or handsome enough to make the crowd scene shots (lol jk) but one of my female friends from my class was actually one of the referees on thr ground but i dont know if she actually made it into a shot. And one of her friends was one of the Aus team players. There were some auditions for that as well.

The funny thing is they always have the final against Aus no matter what team it is whether cricket or hockey even if the female Aus hockey team isnt actually best in the world at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest