The Student Room Group

Black (Asian too) and/or British?

Scroll to see replies

dont tell others how to live their lives. just let them live the way they want to live their lives. why bother?
by the same reasoning, is there british women or women who then become british? which attribute come first?
Now that Britain is no longer a proper country but a soul less franchise, anyone can be British. All you need is a piece of paper.

That's capatalism for you.
Reply 143
Original post by AliceStrawbs
I'm mixed race - White and Black Caribbean. And I consider myself as British with mixed ancestry. I think your nationality leans more towards the society that you know the most and feel at home in.

(like to add that I also get asked "where are you from?" and when I reply "Leicester" often get "but where are you REALLY from?" SO ANNOYING!!)

That's unlucky :/
Original post by de_monies
You can be British regardless of where you're from...

Nope you can't.

Can anyone be an australian aborigine?
Nope you can't.

Can anyone be an australian aborigine?

Don't see how this is a valid comparison. Aborigine is their ethnicity & Australian their nationality. Someone can be white & Australian so why not black British?
Original post by Alesha1991
Don't see how this is a valid comparison. Aborigine is their ethnicity & Australian their nationality. Someone can be white & Australian so why not black British?

This isn't true. To be British you have to descend from the indigenous peoples of Britain. Just because someone has ''British'' on their passport doesn't make them so, same with Australia.
Reply 147
I am from a white family, born and bred in Manchester, and proud of it :smile:
I believe that each person's nationality depends - at least partly- on their attitude i.e someone who is from a family of Nigerians but was born in England cannot class themselves as English unless they are proud of this country, respect it and go to work and pay their taxes just likes everyone else (unless they cant work due to disability etc.) It infuriates me when ANYONE slags this country off, if you dont want to be here, go to where you want to be. Also when people class this as 'their country' because they were born here, yet go on to say nothing but bad about it- why bother? go live where you will be happy.
Regarding cultures, I believe English people should immerse themselves in our culture, and above all, speak our language. (true for any nation, if you move somewhere, you should try your hardest to fit in with the locals)
I am NOT an 'EDL yob' (although they are not all yobs and everyone is entitled to an opinion) however I admit I do have a stereotypical habit of thinking coloured people are not English which is rapidly fading as I get to know all sorts of people from all walks of life.
:smile:
What do you mean by 'indigenous' though. A lot of white people in Britain have ancestors from elsewhere in Europe- how many generations do they have to go before they can call themselves indigenous? Also what about people who are mixed race- I'm half black Caribbean & half white English- what nationality would I be classed as under your definition?
see how all these posts are telling other people how they should live their lives. how anti-western of them.
Reply 150
What do you mean by 'indigenous' though. A lot of white people in Britain have ancestors from elsewhere in Europe- how many generations do they have to go before they can call themselves indigenous? Also what about people who are mixed race- I'm half black Caribbean & half white English- what nationality would I be classed as under your definition?

Good point. Also my heritage is like yours. Some people are just ridiculous, and that's being polite..
What do you mean by 'indigenous' though. A lot of white people in Britain have ancestors from elsewhere in Europe- how many generations do they have to go before they can call themselves indigenous?

Most ''White British'', are native of Mesolithic Ice Age ancestry. This has been proven via genetics. Foreign admixture is minimal to non-existant.

Also what about people who are mixed race- I'm half black Caribbean & half white English- what nationality would I be classed as under your definition?

Not British. The indigenous British were/are not mixed-race.
Reply 152
Original post by PinkyQT
I don't really care if I'm British anyway. I am Nigerian because my parents are.

No you're not.

Your parents are Nigerian.

You are British.
Original post by TRS-T
No you're not.

You are British.

More crackpottery.

If you are born to Nigerians (immigrants) how can you be British?

If a German couple has a child in Australia, does it make them an Australian Aborigine?

Engage brain before you post...
Original post by Ebuwa
That is just rude and so funny

Disagree

Many of the students I have come across are from small towns/villages and haven't been exposed to black and Asian people. The South West has the lowest number of ethnic minorities so many of the locals aren't used to it either. You should see the looks I get when I walk around with a picked out afro.
This is how I see it:

My grandparents are from Saint Lucia, Guyana and Kenya; and because of the slave trade and what-not there is also a mixture of portuguese and asian in my ancestry. So I'm technically mixed-race but I don't feel good about being related to a Portuguese slave trader or to an Indian plantation manager so I just say that my race is black. Most people see me as just being black anyway.

Now for me, being British is a nationality, just like with any other country. Personally, my grandparents migrated to the UK around 50 years ago, adopted the British culture and gave birth to Black British children. Thus making me third generation Black British.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TRS-T
No you're not.

You are British.

I would say you're half-right - he is British but he does have some black
nigerian ancestry.

He's Black British of African/Nigerian descent
Original post by adeena123
Im really clueless about this..

All my life I have lived nowhere else but Britain. But Im kinda confused coz my mum and dad were born in Pakistan, so I have that nationality. My brothers and sister were born here in Britain, too. I would like to say that I am British but also I ama proud Pakistani. My mum moved to England at a young age, yet she spoke fluent English like me. My dad was brought up in Pakistan and move to England when he married my mum. Also, my dad says that we are british citizens rather than british people..

I would love to say that I am british but I do not know whether people would agree coz i have a "dual nationality".

Would "British Pakistani" work by any chance?

You would be a British Asian/Pakistani.

Thinking about it, I sometimes think of myself as a British citizen, because I am not a native (or not a descendent of a native) of the British Isles.

But usually I'd say I'm Black British, unless someone asks me where I'm from (more where my parents are from, my heritage, my descent).
Original post by im so academic
If you're not white (British), you're not British.

I wouldn't consider a Pakistani or a Nigerian as British - even if they were born and bred here.

It just doesn't work out that way.

You can have a Black American, but not a Black Briton. Why?

When was the last time you heard someone say "s/he's a Black Briton"?

It's not accepted in British society.

Not true.

Of course you can't have Black Briton, but Black British.

For you to say what you said, you might as well say that white South African are not African even if they were born and bred there. Same with white Americans, white Australians, African Asians etc.

Regardless of your descent, if you are born and bred here, you are British.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dee Leigh
Not true.

Of course you can't have Black Briton, but Black British.

For you to say what you said, you might as well say that white South African are not African even if they were born and bred there. Same with white Americans, white Australians, African Asians etc.

But you can have white Americans, but not black British.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending