The Student Room Group

Dentistry Graduate Entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by elavender
yeahh you don't get any financial support if you're a graduate doing the normal undergraduate 5 year course, but you do it you're on the 4 year graduate course.

That's what I thought. So that makes the 4yr course at Kings much cheaper for the person asking earlier on (even if you take into account London prices for accommodation etc).
Reply 901
ohhh, by "we pay" you mean student loan as well...you scared me for a minute, i thought you mean we pay the whole 9k and 5k-ish ourselves, as in directly from our own purse. bah!

Could you imagine?! What a nightmare!
yeahh you don't get any financial support if you're a graduate doing the normal undergraduate 5 year course, but you do it you're on the 4 year graduate course.

Been on the phone to NHS bursay people, and to the SLC. Sometimes they were a bit shaky, but I pressed them to ask their supervisor and be sure they were giving me the correct details. Here is what they said (although check if this applies to you, they did seem a bit unsure...)
As a graduate doing a 4yr GEP: you are entitiled to a partial student loan in yr 1, and then the NHS bursary in yrs 2,3,4. This bursary amounts to £8k per year (including means-tested bits).
As a graduate doing a 5yr ungraduate course: in yrs 1-4 you are eligible to apply for a reduced maintenance loan, and for a maintenance grant (again this is all means tested, so if your household earns >25k you might not get any of it). In yr 5 the NHS bursary of around £8 is available, and they pay your £9k tuition fees.
All told, the amount of money available is nearly the same... it's just that the 5yr course has one more lot of £9k fees attached.
Reply 903
oh right...i swear they say different things each time. as long as i can get a student loan for the £5k-ish for all four years, im good :-) if not, then im screwed!
oh right...i swear they say different things each time. as long as i can get a student loan for the £5k-ish for all four years, im good :-) if not, then im screwed!

Yeah, they really don't seem that certain at the SLC! If anybody should know all the details, it's them!! :s-smilie: The person I spoke to said that I would have to apply to find out what I can definately get- but I need to know so that I can chose between the two courses! She said I could change my application once the results came through, I asked how long it usually takes and she said at least a month. So not before I have to choose. Grrr!!
Reply 905
Original post by Moose Biscuit
Yeah, they really don't seem that certain at the SLC! If anybody should know all the details, it's them!! :s-smilie: The person I spoke to said that I would have to apply to find out what I can definately get- but I need to know so that I can chose between the two courses! She said I could change my application once the results came through, I asked how long it usually takes and she said at least a month. So not before I have to choose. Grrr!!

When I spoke to the person on the phone at SLC the other day (because I wanted to confirm I was definitely getting partial tuition fee loan and maintenance loan before accepted my offer, otherwise I couldn't afford to do it) she said that my thing hadn't been fully processed yet but she could definitely confirm that I would be receiving partial tuition fee loan (£5500, or however much it is), and that I would also receive maintenance loans and grants (if applicable), but just couldn't confirm the amounts that I'd get.
So I firmed my offer after that and booked my accommodation...so if that's all wrong then I'll kill them aha.
Anyway, it says on their actual website that grad entry you can get tuition and maintenance loans.

But why do I have a feeling I'll finish year one and then I won't get anything for year two...that's another scenario I worry about!
Hey fellow grad applicants, do you have any advice for a grad applying in next year's cycle? I have Kings, Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester and UCLan in mind.
Reply 907
what would/will you guys do during your gap year if you are unsuccessful this year? build up a stronger personal statement? masters? study abroad? or nothing??
Reply 908
Original post by nicsxox
Guys, can I just ask since you are all applying for the grad entry. Is it possible to apply with a Biology degree? Or would it be better to have a different degree? I took Maths, Chemistry & Bio for A-Levels aswell!

I got into UClan with a biology degree, also got interviews for Barts and Kings 4 year courses. Biomedical sciences would be best I think. Or anatomy.
Reply 909
i do anatomy. hurayyy. i think it will give me a really good background for dentistry coz ive already done head and neck and neuro anatomy...aswel as physiology, immunology, genetics...eugh allsorts. that was at liverpool. and you do dissection. which was the best bit!
Reply 910
Original post by nfarmer1
i do anatomy. hurayyy. i think it will give me a really good background for dentistry coz ive already done head and neck and neuro anatomy...aswel as physiology, immunology, genetics...eugh allsorts. that was at liverpool. and you do dissection. which was the best bit!

Yeah I did an Anatomy degree and am going to do Dentistry in September. Definitely the best choice! :biggrin:
Reply 911
Original post by dent2012
what would/will you guys do during your gap year if you are unsuccessful this year? build up a stronger personal statement? masters? study abroad? or nothing??

You should go and be a healthcare assistant...much better than volunteering. Even though it wouldn't necessarily be dentistry related...it's hands on experience and if you get to work in a clinic you might get to take bloods etc which is great for manual dexterity! I've just had a year out doing this and I think it made my application really strong :smile: All my interview answers were based on what I had learnt and experiences I had had in my job.
Reply 912
Original post by dent2012

hey, was reading this thread, and came across this post. I wasn't successful two years in a row in the UK for Dentistry. i have quite a strong personal statement, and thought i performed amazing in interviews aswell. i haven't got a degree under my belt (i am an undergraduate) but ... studying abroad isn't too bad. i have applied to Spain to study dentistry at UEM in Valencia. I had a look at the facilities and they are top notch. it's just something to think about really, as there is only so much that you can do these days with regards to experience/personal statement, purely due to the amount of competition out there.
Reply 913
Original post by azcar121
hey, was reading this thread, and came across this post. I wasn't successful two years in a row in the UK for Dentistry. i have quite a strong personal statement, and thought i performed amazing in interviews aswell. i haven't got a degree under my belt (i am an undergraduate) but ... studying abroad isn't too bad. i have applied to Spain to study dentistry at UEM in Valencia. I had a look at the facilities and they are top notch. it's just something to think about really, as there is only so much that you can do these days with regards to experience/personal statement, purely due to the amount of competition out there.

Do you work for UEM? 10 posts in one day all about how great UEM looks - nothing else. Call me cynical but...
Reply 914
Original post by cptKernow
Do you work for UEM? 10 posts in one day all about how great UEM looks - nothing else. Call me cynical but...

no... im just saying what i feel. especially after not being able to get into the UK 2years in a row, i guess i am trying to make myself feel better about having to go abroad. i mean, it is not easy to move away from the country you have grown up in. call me old fashioned or whatever, but i'm just glad i got a place (yes.. i was confirmed earlier today)
Reply 915
no... im just saying what i feel. especially after not being able to get into the UK 2years in a row, i guess i am trying to make myself feel better about having to go abroad. i mean, it is not easy to move away from the country you have grown up in. call me old fashioned or whatever, but i'm just glad i got a place (yes.. i was confirmed earlier today)

When did you apply and when did you receive an offer?
Reply 916
Original post by Lloyds
When did you apply and when did you receive an offer?

applied a week or so ago (after going out to see it obviously), then got my offer earlier today. i think it was so quick was because i actually met up with the head of the agency whilst i was out in Spain, and all i needed to do was fill in an application form and send it with a few documents.

u thinking of applying there?
Reply 917
applied a week or so ago (after going out to see it obviously), then got my offer earlier today. i think it was so quick was because i actually met up with the head of the agency whilst i was out in Spain, and all i needed to do was fill in an application form and send it with a few documents.

u thinking of applying there?

But according to TSR, you only found out the university 2 days ago from another user, and had sent an email 2 days ago enquiring about it. And no I won't be applying, it sounds like a big massive con. :smile:
Reply 918
Original post by Lloyds
But according to TSR, you only found out the university 2 days ago from another user, and had sent an email 2 days ago enquiring about it. And no I won't be applying, it sounds like a big massive con. :smile:

Good bit of team effort here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1908219&page=2&p=37581274&highlight=#post37581274 :wink:

Oh, and here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1777030&page=26

Getting a bit obvious now...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 919

ye, because before i didn't have a place. so to minimise the competition, i acted like i was new to the uni. but seeing as i got the place secured, there is no longer a need for me to lie. if u want, u can believe me.. if not, that's your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest