The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL AQA FP1 18th MAY 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
anyone with fp2 jan 2012 papers?? :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by vk94
Hey, that is linear interpolation... you have to do similar triangles.
you do (r-a)/c = (b-a)/(c-d) and then re-arrange and get the right answer.

hmm. Thanks. Not sure how that triangle method works, never heard of it, neither did teacher help... couldn't do it with that af(b) - b(f)a/f(b) - f(a). Don't really get it but I will just stick with y-y1=m(x-x1) I guess. Thanks.

Original post by kenau
Oh actually,this is just my first time......And our school didn't gave the MFP1 mock exam to us as most of the student have already done in jan,but the result was not good,then most of it going to retake it in june.I have look through the 2012 jan pp,I see some question type have already change,like the general solution,and the transformation one.
Anyway,I have a question.
If the question give matrix A and matrix B
then find AB,should be in order A x B or B x A?

well AB means A * B so its A*B. But if they give you for example a matrix and transformation, and tell you to apply that transformation to the given matrix and draw transformed drawing, and then they give you second transformation and tell you you to apply to draw the second matrix or apply it, and then ask you to give overall transformation matrix, you have to do it in reverse order. So if it tells you A is applied first, then B, then C, to get overall transformation matrix you would do C * B * A.
Reply 22
Original post by Miyata
hmm. Thanks. Not sure how that triangle method works, never heard of it, neither did teacher help... couldn't do it with that af(b) - b(f)a/f(b) - f(a). Don't really get it but I will just stick with y-y1=m(x-x1) I guess. Thanks.

well AB means A * B so its A*B. But if they give you for example a matrix and transformation, and tell you to apply that transformation to the given matrix and draw transformed drawing, and then they give you second transformation and tell you you to apply to draw the second matrix or apply it, and then ask you to give overall transformation matrix, you have to do it in reverse order. So if it tells you A is applied first, then B, then C, to get overall transformation matrix you would do C * B * A.

thanks brother:biggrin: that what I want to know the different:smile:
One more question,I am quite confuse how to know where the integal is exist or does not exist if they give the infinity/minus infinity/0 in the integal?It is in calculus that chapter
Reply 23
Original post by asiyah08
anyone with fp2 jan 2012 papers?? :frown:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1907143
Here you are:smile:
Predicitions:
Question on ellipses
Trig general solution question will be Sin
Question on Eulers
Question on differentiation by 1st principles
Question on Linear Laws
And as always there will be a question on roots of quadratics, summations and a tricky one using b^2 -4ac
Reply 25
Original post by kenau
Oh actually,this is just my first time......And our school didn't gave the MFP1 mock exam to us as most of the student have already done in jan,but the result was not good,then most of it going to retake it in june.I have look through the 2012 jan pp,I see some question type have already change,like the general solution,and the transformation one.
Anyway,I have a question.
If the question give matrix A and matrix B
then find AB,should be in order A x B or B x A?

For AB it is A Times B
For BA it is B times A

Hope that helped!
Reply 26
Did all of you realise that the Summation/Series questions ONLY Appear in JANUARY Papers.
Original post by walkbesideme
Predicitions:
Question on ellipses
Trig general solution question will be Sin
Question on Eulers
Question on differentiation by 1st principles
Question on Linear Laws
And as always there will be a question on roots of quadratics, summations and a tricky one using b^2 -4ac

Trig general solution for Sine, can you simplify on sine like collect the terms, or leave it out:
e.g 3x-pi/2=pi x n (-1)^n pi/4
can i add the pi/2 to the pi/4 or do i have to:
3x = pi x n (-1)^n pi/4 + pi/2 ??
Reply 28
Original post by coolstorybrother
Trig general solution for Sine, can you simplify on sine like collect the terms, or leave it out:
e.g 3x-pi/2=pi x n (-1)^n pi/4
can i add the pi/2 to the pi/4 or do i have to:
3x = pi x n (-1)^n pi/4 + pi/2 ??

you can add/minus all the things without n in general solution...
but remember if it is divide/times something then it will be going to affect the coeficient of n as well...
Reply 29
Does anyone know how to reconise where the integal is exist or does not exist if they give the infinity/minus infinity/0 in the integal????It is in calculus that chapter...........
Reply 30
Original post by kenau
Does anyone know how to reconise where the integal is exist or does not exist if they give the infinity/minus infinity/0 in the integal????It is in calculus that chapter...........

well you integrate it, and then if if power is negative, that means that x will be at the bottom, for example 5x^-1/2 can be rewritten as 5/x^1/2 or 5/rootx
So basically when x is at the bottom, and integral is infinity, either negative or positive, that means you divide a number by infinity, which will tend to 0. So as x tends to infinity, whole thing will tend to 0 because it is divided by infinity which is not defined by a number. So basically when you divide something by negative or positive infinity, you get 0. But you don't say 1/x = 0, you better of saying as x tends to infinity, 1/x tends to 0. But if infinity has positive power, you are not dividing a number by it, you are multiplying it or dividing it by a number, that means it will still stay infinity, doesn't matter what you add or take away or root it or divide by it will stay infinity, therefore the integral doesn't exist.
for example 1/infinity = 0, while 1/0 = infinity. Or infinity+infinity = infinity. Or infinity + 1 = infinity, or infinity^2 = infinity, or infinity^3 = infinity. by ^ I mean to the power of.
Reply 31
Lads,FP1 was so easy I thought itwas so easy that give myself an hour break to sleep, during the exam! yes lidders, then i woke up with a pocket rocket thinking about all you peeps failing! peace out mother fookers!!!!!!!!
Reply 32
Easiest fp1 paper i've done though missed out one question part:frown:
Reply 33
I did this paper last summer got 77, decided to retake it and did today's paper.
To be honest, I didn't think this paper was too bad. The conics question was quite nice even though it was a big marker. Only thing I really didn't like was the general solution question.
Reply 34
In the trig question, I said that:
cos(theta) = sin(theta + 90), therefore, sin(whatever it was) = sin(20 + 90)

Since, I've realised that it should have been cos(theta) = sin(theta-90), but both seem to give me the same answer when I try it now...

In the complex numbers I think I got 0.4+1.2i, although I've seen somebody else on here saying it was something else?

Another one that somebody disagreed with me on was the roots of equations one... I got the new product of the roots to be 65/5, whereas they got 64/5?

Edit: Also, I got "n" to be 1006 in the matrices question?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by M^2012

Since, I've realised that it should have been cos(theta) = sin(theta-90), but both seem to give me the same answer when I try it now...

In the complex numbers I think I got 0.4+1.2i, although I've seen somebody else on here saying it was something else?

Another one that somebody disagreed with me on was the roots of equations one... I got the new product of the roots to be 65/5, whereas they got 64/5?

Yes I got the product as 13 and n as 1006, but for the complex numbers I got 0.5+1.5i.
As for the general solutions questions I have no idea. Completely messed that one up.
Reply 36
Original post by M^2012

I got 0.5 + 1.5i for complex numbers, same as you on product of roots, and I used the tan=sin/cos trig identity to make the question:

tan(70-2/3x) = 20

And worked from there. Felt the paper went quite well, the only question I'm 100% sure I dropped marks on was the M^2012 one.
Reply 37
Original post by Marsters
Yes I got the product as 13 and n as 1006, but for the complex numbers I got 0.5+1.5i.
As for the general solutions questions I have no idea. Completely messed that one up.

I must have messed the complex numbers one up somewhere then :frown:

The general solution's the one I'm particularly worried about tbh :s-smilie:

The trend started by core2 about have nasty papers seems to be continuing...
Reply 38
Original post by CalumE5
I got 0.5 + 1.5i for complex numbers, same as you on product of roots, and I used the tan=sin/cos trig identity to make the question:

tan(70-2/3x) = 20

And worked from there. Felt the paper went quite well, the only question I'm 100% sure I dropped marks on was the M^2012 one.

But surely it's tan(theta) = sin(theta)/cos(theta), not tan=sin/cos, so you'd need the sin part to equal the cos part for that to work, as sin's angle wasn't equal to cos's angle?

Sorry for double posting :P
Reply 39
I got 0.5 + 1.5i i think for the imaginary numbers question.
Cant remember the quadratic but you had to multiply by 5 at the end to get integers.
Gradient tended to -31 for the principles of differentiation.
'x' was between 0.175 and 0.2 for interval bisection.
general solution question: x=-540, x=-540n-60
Can't remember the sketch of curve question, think i may have messed up the drawing slightly.
The last question was okay, although i didn't get the full 8 marks im sure. probably got around 4 or 5, basic algebra let me down somewhere.
Matrix question was straight forward apart from the last part, didnt attempt it!
overall hoping for an A, but i only need a B aslong as i smash M1. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending