The Student Room Group

AQA- Maths statistics 1b

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
agreed c2 was a killer but everyone seams to be saying the same, so fingers crossed boundaries will be lowered
Reply 21
I found S1 actually quite easy compared to any of the past papers, did anyone feel the same?
Original post by Mike1
I found S1 actually quite easy compared to any of the past papers, did anyone feel the same?

Yeah to be honest, I thought it would be much harder than what it was. So glad the probability was already in a table...phew!!! :smile:
Reply 23
easier than C2 by a mile. some weirdly worded questions though, and SO many stupid mistakes. Just hoping it drags up the horrendous C2. Who knows..
Reply 24
Yeah the questions were worded kind of strangely. What did people put for the question where it asked if you used the central limit theorem?
Reply 25
I put no, HA.
But after having spoken to all my friends, its most likely wrong. I just blubbered for a bit and wrote anything (long exam, bore)
I put yes, as surely you had to use it, as in the qustion it did not state that the sample was assumed to be normally distributed, and in order to calculate a confidence intervals the sample means must be assumed to be normally distributed, and the only way you could tell this was by the Cental Limit Theorem as n>30
Reply 27
Yeah I've no idea. I just assumed it was normally distributed because it said something about a random variable. Not been taught anything about that :s-smilie: the 'wordy' questions are always a pain.
I'm not sure though :/ But beacause its a random variable does that mean its normally distributed?
Reply 29
it would have stated it to be normally distributed in the question and i don't think it said it was. so i put " n > 30, yes " not sure if it's right though, just my guess.
Reply 30
does anyone remember what two values they got for their confidence intervals ?
I think I got one negative value???
Reply 32
I think i got something like 5.02 and 5.06. I don't know if thats right :s-smilie:
Reply 33
i got a negative answer for 1 value and i tried a range of ways of doing it and each time one was negative so i stuck with it, it was -24. something and the other value i can't remember
Original post by jckk
i got a negative answer for 1 value and i tried a range of ways of doing it and each time one was negative so i stuck with it, it was -24. something and the other value i can't remember

I got that too, not sure if its right though :/
Reply 35
5.02 and 5.08 ! :-)
Reply 36
Ooh btw, what did yous get for, I think it was a binomial one, something about the probability that all 6 do not contain whatever weight. I got something stupid like 8.64x10-4, but I literally went brain dead so I had to leave it..
Reply 37
Original post by jckk
does anyone remember what two values they got for their confidence intervals ?

4.98-5.12 (with 5.05 as the mean)
Reply 38
Original post by jckk

You cant have negative litres...
I think the answer was [5.02,5.08]
Reply 39
I really didn't get that one. I did (1-previous answer)^6 as a guess.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply