The Student Room Group

I want to be a doctor but I can't :(

Okay so here's the thing. Since I was young I've always wanted to be a doctor, and with that thought and my liking for the sciences I took triple Science. When I started the series of examinations from year 10 I always you used to get A*s ; but then something happened. I've always been a real English geek- adore books and reading and I am quite good at English Literature as it's been a subject that has never felt like it's just a part of school and I have to get it over and done with, it's always been so effort-less .So When I went in to year 11, I built up this whole idea that becoming a doctor is not my thing and I don't care about the sciences hence I stopped putting in effort for my exams and did really bad in the ISA's (ended u with an AAB) in the single science GCSE's ( B in biology).

Now I'm in year 12 currently finishing my AS levels English lit, History, Maths and Chemistry; and I've realised how stupid I was for making a stupid decision about two years ago how I don't want to be a doctor when really I do, it's something that has always been and will be at the back of my mind. I've had like some kind of revelation right now, well a realisation but it's to late as I haven't done Biology but instead picked stupid history which I failed this tuesday and don't even like.I'm so confused on what to do with my life, I suppose I'e deluded myself that I can become/want to become a lawyer but frankly I don't. I can't see myself as as lawyer in those stupid firms with the stacks of endless paper and the boring lawsuits that big companies file against each other.

What shall I do now :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Take an extra year to re-do some A levels/do biology?
Reply 2
Be a nurse. :smile:
Reply 3
Surely there must be something else that you're passionate about?
Reply 4
Drop english lit and history at the end of year 12. Take up bio and do both AS and A-Level in one year, along with maths and chemistry. It sounds very difficult but if Medicine is what your totally motivated to do then you simply have to put in the effort and try. That is what I would do in your position.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Reply 5
I don't really think that it's likely that there is only one career that would suit you.

Anyway, given the state of affairs at the moment, we'll all be down the job centre anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by Roshniroxy
Okay so here's the thing. Since I was young I've always wanted to be a doctor, and with that thought and my liking for the sciences I took triple Science. When I started the series of examinations from year 10 I always you used to get A*s ; but then something happened. I've always been a real English geek- adore books and reading and I am quite good at English Literature as it's been a subject that has never felt like it's just a part of school and I have to get it over and done with, it's always been so effort-less .So When I went in to year 11, I built up this whole idea that becoming a doctor is not my thing and I don't care about the sciences hence I stopped putting in effort for my exams and did really bad in the ISA's (ended u with an AAB) in the single science GCSE's ( B in biology).

Now I'm in year 12 currently finishing my AS levels English lit, History, Maths and Chemistry; and I've realised how stupid I was for making a stupid decision about two years ago how I don't want to be a doctor when really I do, it's something that has always been and will be at the back of my mind. I've had like some kind of revelation right now, well a realisation but it's to late as I haven't done Biology but instead picked stupid history which I failed this tuesday and don't even like.I'm so confused on what to do with my life, I suppose I'e deluded myself that I can become/want to become a lawyer but frankly I don't. I can't see myself as as lawyer in those stupid firms with the stacks of endless paper and the boring lawsuits that big companies file against each other.

Either the medical schools that ask only for chem or a Foundation course maybe? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

You can do good as a lawyer and even be involved in medical related things, but yeah you don't improve lives like Doctors do other than maybe in Family.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Many universities accept AS-level biology, it's only chemistry that they usually require to A2 so just take it up in year 13
Not all Unis need Biology but Chemistry is pretty much essential for medicine.

Get the grades, volunteering and all of that and you stand a chance ensuring the Unis aren't too crazy about GCSEs as I'm not sure what they want for Triple Sci......

You still love your lit etc so what about that?
Really take a bit of time thinking through if being a doctor is what you really want to do and make sure you're 100% sure (you've already disregarded the idea before so are you sure you won't change your mind again?).
Look up courses and find out entry requirements etc, and make sure you get as much work experience as possible from now on (very important). Pick up Biology AS next year or if needed, resit/redo AS/A levels - put in the work, dedication, enthusiasm and committment and you'll do great. Universities may question this though :/.
If not, you could always do a foundation course?
(edited 11 years ago)
I am not a genius about uni requirements when it comes to medicine/similar.

However, can you not take an extra year, or do an A-Level in one year? I am currently in year 13, but I am staying on for year 14 to get an extra 2 A-Levels, because our school allows us to take AS & A2 of subjects in one year. Hopefully you can stay on an extra year,too.

But really, you say you love lit and reading. I know you have a real passion for being a doctor, but think to yourself - if in 10 years time I'm a doctor, will I really enjoy it? Or would I rather be an author/journalist/english teacher instead? I suggest you spend some time thinking about what career you really would enjoy, so you don't pursue being a doctor and then regret it.
Reply 11
You do maths and chemistry and thats fine :biggrin:

Newcastle, Durham, Kings college, Manchester, st Georges and Bristol all stipulate only 2 science subjects and that doesnt include biology :smile:

A friend of mine dropped biol after GCSE, he now holds offers from Bristol, newcastle and manchester and he does chem, maths and history.

:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by jellybean_

However, can you not take an extra year, or do an A-Level in one year? I am currently in year 13, but I am staying on for year 14 to get an extra 2 A-Levels, because our school allows us to take AS & A2 of subjects in one year. Hopefully you can stay on an extra year,too.

But really, you say you love lit and reading. I know you have a real passion for being a doctor, but think to yourself - if in 10 years time I'm a doctor, will I really enjoy it? Or would I rather be an author/journalist/english teacher instead? I suggest you spend some time thinking about what career you really would enjoy, so you don't pursue being a doctor and then regret it.

My friend was just telling me the same thing. I suppose I will never fully know what I want to do but I feel becoming a doctor is my thing. It's just what I can picture myself doing. Do you attend a private school ?
Reply 13
Original post by Jackkkkk
You do maths and chemistry and thats fine :biggrin:

Newcastle, Durham, Kings college, Manchester, st Georges and Bristol all stipulate only 2 science subjects and that doesnt include biology :smile:

A friend of mine dropped biol after GCSE, he now holds offers from Bristol, newcastle and manchester and he does chem, maths and history.

:smile:

Oh, I will look in to that but I do still feel/ think I've limited myself. Did your friend do physics at AS ?
Reply 14
Original post by Pen Island
Really take a bit of time thinking through if being a doctor is what you really want to do and make sure you're 100% sure (you've already disregarded the idea before so are you sure you won't change your mind again?).
Look up courses and find out entry requirements etc, and make sure you get as much work experience as possible from now on (very important). Pick up Biology AS next year or if needed, resit/redo AS/A levels - put in the work, dedication, enthusiasm and committment and you'll do great. Universities may question this though :/.
If not, you could always do a foundation course?

What is a foundation course ?
My friend is quizzing me about whether I would change my mind again and honestly I don't know and I feel like I'll never know for sure.

Work experience I'll only do if I start with biology and I'm not sure if my school will let me though :/
Reply 15

Some schools don't want A2 bio so take that up during year 13.
Do NOT do 3 years at 6th form, almost every university won't accept this without extenuating circumstances which you haven't said that you have.
Look into foundation courses, a degree in a life science and then grad entry, applying with just AS bio etc, it's in no way over at all.
You need to do some work experience, the reality of being a doctor is very different than what many people think, you should also think about long term voluntary work to support your application.

Chemistry is the essential and you've done that so stay positive :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by sbobat
Drop english lit and history at the end of year 12. Take up bio and do both AS and A-Level in one year, along with maths and chemistry. It sounds very difficult but if Medicine is what your totally motivated to do then you simply have to put in the effort and try. That is what I would do in your position.

Good luck with whatever you decide

I'll speak to my head of year next week
Reply 17
Original post by jellybean_

I loved english lit but I'm going to do med :smile: you can love both. Definitely an important point to remember that a lot of the rewards from medicine exist in other careers e.g. teachers also help people etc.
DO NOT take a 3rd year at 6th form, med unis want grades achieved in 2 years.
Reply 18
Original post by Sherbet
I loved english lit but I'm going to do med :smile: you can love both. Definitely an important point to remember that a lot of the rewards from medicine exist in other careers e.g. teachers also help people etc.
DO NOT take a 3rd year at 6th form, med unis want grades achieved in 2 years.

How about completions of my current A levels then gap year to do biology ?
Reply 19
Oh, I will look in to that but I do still feel/ think I've limited myself. Did your friend do physics at AS ?

Yeah he did but I'm pretty sure you don't need it for some of them ! If not graduate entry might be an option :smile: another friend of mine (they all seen to be dr related lol) did a degree in psychology and is now at kings doing medicine grad entry :smile: there are several routes in ! Plus another degree is often helpfull :smile: goo luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending