The Student Room Group

Black (Asian too) and/or British?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by chronic_fatigue
Many of the students I have come across are from small towns/villages and haven't been exposed to black and Asian people. The South West has the lowest number of ethnic minorities so many of the locals aren't used to it either. You should see the looks I get when I walk around with a picked out afro.

Aw, are you there for uni?

Original post by TRS-T
No you're not.

Your parents are Nigerian.

You are British.

Don't tell him what he is and isn't.

Original post by PinkyQT
Why?

Because it isn't.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by Ebuwa
Don't tell him what he is and isn't.

I'll do what I want.
Reply 182
Original post by Dee Leigh
Why do you think Nigeria is a crap country?

-Crap electricity- always switches off
-Open gutters
-Juju men
- Bumpy roads
-Poor education
- Poverty
- Don't get me started on the corrupt government
- Home of fraud (419)
- Mosquito
- Quality of entertainment (the tv shows quality)

That's all I can think about for now. You cant deny this. All my family agree with me when I say this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 183
Original post by Kruz
Quick question, Have you actually been to Nigeria? I'm also off Nigerian heritage myself.

Yes I have been to Nigeria.
i'm nigerian and i would never live there sorry..
I class myself as Asian-British, because I am by ethnicity Asian, by passport- British.
Original post by PinkyQT
Yes I have been to Nigeria.

I know I've been there, I'll be honest some parts are decent, but mostly it's not in a good sate.
Reply 187
Original post by Kruz
I know I've been there, I'll be honest some parts are decent, but mostly it's not in a good sate.

What part do you think is decent? I only think Victoria island is and the rest are crap.
Haha! Pretty much Victoria Island, I went to Port Harcourt & Warri, they're crap and that's me being nice. I heard Abuja is better.
Original post by PinkyQT
-Crap electricity- always switches off
-Open gutters
-Juju men
- Bumpy roads
-Poor education
- Poverty
- Don't get me started on the corrupt government
- Home of fraud (419)
- Mosquito
- Quality of entertainment (the tv shows quality)

That's all I can think about for now. You cant deny this. All my family agree with me when I say this.

Yep! Pretty much summarised Nigeria, my parent always complain about these problems. The tv shows over there are :facepalm2:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dee Leigh
Yes you can have Black British.

But no one (really) would consider them as actual British people.

When you think of a Briton, you think of a white person. There is nothing wrong with that.
Original post by JCC-MGS
Lol if you're so academic how can you have never heard the phrase 'Black British'

People say it in an ironic/sarcastic sense. Never would you really see someone call themselves "Black British" in a serious manner. They would get laughed and ridiculed (and heckled even?) by indigenous white British people.
Original post by Pupcraze
Australian

but asian chinese

No, you are Chinese. No one would consider you as Australian. First impression of you: Chinese.
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
I class myself as Asian-British, because I am by ethnicity Asian, by passport- British.

No you are Asian. When people first see you they think "Asian", not British.
Original post by im so academic
People say it in an ironic/sarcastic sense. Never would you really see someone call themselves "Black British" in a serious manner. They would get laughed and ridiculed (and heckled even?) by indigenous white British people.

Yeah nobody ever says black British in a serious manner except for every time they ever fill out for a form which asks for nationality you ****ing loser, black British is the accepted term for black people living in Britain
Original post by JCC-MGS
Yeah nobody ever says black British in a serious manner except for every time they ever fill out for a form which asks for nationality you ****ing loser, black British is the accepted term for black people living in Britain

Not according to indigenous white people it isn't.
Not according to indigenous white people it isn't.

What's that meant to mean, you're the elected voice of the indigenous white population of this country? On the census, it says black British.
Original post by JCC-MGS
What's that meant to mean, you're the elected voice of the indigenous white population of this country? On the census, it says black British.

Census doesn't reflect the opinions of real life and real British people.
Census doesn't reflect the opinions of real life and real British people.

Yeah you're right I should leave that to lonely 15 year old country virgins like yourself, who really have their finger on the pulse of the British everyman
Original post by JCC-MGS
Yeah you're right I should leave that to lonely 15 year old country virgins like yourself, who really have their finger on the pulse of the British everyman

It's for black people's safety that they do not refer to themselves as "Black British".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending