The Student Room Group

iGCSE EDEXCEL PHYSICS DISCUSSION 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Big-Daddy
Shouldn't it be out of 220?

120 for paper 1, 60 for paper 2
Original post by Umackjiggles
120 for paper 1, 60 for paper 2

OCR Latin? Aren't there 4 papers - 2 Languages (out of 60 each) and 2 Literature (out of 50 each)? I'm pretty sure that's how it breaks down ...

OHH I see you were actually on topic rather than everyone else. :redface:

149/180 is obviously an A*, in fact it's 100 UMS. It'd be an A* even with normal grade boundaries.

But I should think the paper will be substantially easier. After all, that was a January 2012 module, so most of the people taking it were 6 months older and more experienced, so the fact that they would get 119/180 suggests that a normal year might get more like 114/180. No matter what Edexcel say, I'm convinced that they can't allow a grade boundary of 63% for an A*. If that had been the grade boundary, I'd have got an A* after Paper 1 alone. :biggrin: So I think they will make it easier and the grade boundaries will be somewhat higher (maximum perhaps 140/180 for A*, but your mark will be higher too).
Reply 102
could someone answer me please (a)?
I have this paper on wednesday, my physics teacher was telling me the other day that he reckons the a* boundary to be around 75%
what's your question?
Reply 105
Original post by ReginaPhalange29
I have this paper on wednesday, my physics teacher was telling me the other day that he reckons the a* boundary to be around 75%

it'll probably be much lower it's been 69%/66% in the past
Would anyone happen to have a modified version of the specification just for paper 1?
Reply 107
Would anyone happen to have a modified version of the specification just for paper 1?

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/IGCSE%20New%20IGCSE/IGCSE%20Physics%20(4PH0)%20Issue%203.pdf exclude bold points
Reply 109
Original post by ReginaPhalange29
what's your question?

i dont have notes on these and i dont have the student book so :frown:

describe the advantages and disadvantages of methods of large-scale electricityproduction from various renewable and non-renewable resources.

Also:

explain the use of step-up and step-down transformers in the large-scale
generation and transmission of electrical energy

I know the main points on these but I need a little detail as these can come up as a 6 mark question.
Original post by sahajkaur
i dont have notes on these and i dont have the student book so :frown:

describe the advantages and disadvantages of methods of large-scale electricityproduction from various renewable and non-renewable resources.

Also:

explain the use of step-up and step-down transformers in the large-scale
generation and transmission of electrical energy

I know the main points on these but I need a little detail as these can come up as a 6 mark question.

That disadvantages and advantages one just looks too boring to touch, sorry ...

For the transformers question, is it asking about pylons etc. or about how transformers work? i.e. is it asking for industrial uses of transformers or for the mechanisms of them? coz i'll happily answer the second but not the first
Reply 111
Original post by Big-Daddy
That disadvantages and advantages one just looks too boring to touch, sorry ...

For the transformers question, is it asking about pylons etc. or about how transformers work? i.e. is it asking for industrial uses of transformers or for the mechanisms of them? coz i'll happily answer the second but not the first

It's basically asking why step up and step down transformers are used. Well I know that the step up are transformers are used for high voltage transmission which would mean there would be a lower current. This would mean less power loss in the form of heat (due to resistance) according to the equation P loss=I^2 x R thus it is more efficient and thus cost saving to transport it in this form. Step down are for when electricity reaches the consumer and needs to be at a usable voltage.

But there's not much more you can add is there?:confused:
It's basically asking why step up and step down transformers are used. Well I know that the step up are transformers are used for high voltage transmission which would mean there would be a lower current. This would mean less power loss in the form of heat (due to resistance) according to the equation P loss=I^2 x R thus it is more efficient and thus cost saving to transport it in this form. Step down are for when electricity reaches the consumer and needs to be at a usable voltage.

But there's not much more you can add is there?:confused:

I have some notes from the revision guide that I can scan to you if you want tomorrow. Also who will be staying up to discuss bio :colone: ?
Reply 113
I have some notes from the revision guide that I can scan to you if you want tomorrow. Also who will be staying up to discuss bio :colone: ?

i am itching but its fine my firend and i dissected it after we came out of the exam room (but the rest of our year - 80 girls- were in isolation because they had a clash with history and that paper haha xD) so will probz join you tomorrow morning
And I have the revision guide, but it doesn't go into much detail, that's about it :frown:
i am itching but its fine my firend and i dissected it after we came out of the exam room (but the rest of our year - 80 girls- were in isolation because they had a clash with history and that paper haha xD) so will probz join you tomorrow morning
And I have the revision guide, but it doesn't go into much detail, that's about it :frown:

I know exactly what I got. I had the most retarded black out on this one question. But still very happy with result. Hope it went well for you :smile:
Reply 115
I know exactly what I got. I had the most retarded black out on this one question. But still very happy with result. Hope it went well for you :smile:

Really? I can never be sure even though I know what i put down is sensible, so I always deduct marks from myself. You'll do amazing you seem like a total genius so don't worry (although I'm sure your idea of worrying is I got 179 instead of 180 haha :P )

And thanks :smile: same to you! I wish someone would post it!
Really? I can never be sure even though I know what i put down is sensible, so I always deduct marks from myself. You'll do amazing you seem like a total genius so don't worry (although I'm sure your idea of worrying is I got 179 instead of 180 haha :P )

And thanks :smile: same to you! I wish someone would post it!

How did you know? :wink: I can remember all of my answers for paper 2 so I can upload those if anyone is interested? I'm sure you'll be fine as well it seemed like a good paper that required revision so the grade boundary might be lowered :smile: I should probably stop talking now before they gun me down for talking about it too early :eek:
Reply 117
How did you know? :wink: I can remember all of my answers for paper 2 so I can upload those if anyone is interested? I'm sure you'll be fine as well it seemed like a good paper that required revision so the grade boundary might be lowered :smile: I should probably stop talking now before they gun me down for talking about it too early :eek:

Yes please do upload them :biggrin: You've got a freaky memory :tongue: don't worry I'm like that in Chemistry haha :smile:
Yes please do upload them :biggrin: You've got a freaky memory :tongue: don't worry I'm like that in Chemistry haha :smile:

Just finished writing them out. I literally didn't know I could remember stuff like that :smile: . I can send you them if you want before midnight so you can just check your answers against them if you don't plan on staying up.

How can you know what you got?

(This isn't discussion, I'm asking a general question about any IGCSE exam.)

Surely you can't necessarily know that you hit all of the points on the mark scheme for the longer questions? For Biology, do you just have to get the right number of points down to get the marks (as opposed to exactly the points on the mark scheme, like you do for Chemistry or Physics)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending