The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6360
Original post by DisturbingKand0R
Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder have agreed on making it more edg ey, a bit like The Dark Knight. Superman is supposed to struggle throughout the movie, that will make it more dramatic in my opinion. So he's not going to be totally invinsible

The whole idea of Superman is that he has to be invincible, he has to be more than a human man in abilities, personality and will. If they try and make it like Batman it will be pretty terrible, Superman is meant to be a positive character, all primary colours and higher moral purpose.
Superman films always bug me though as they are never consistent with his abilities, especially his strength.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/hyde-park-on-hudson,75370/

On the one hand, boring. On the other hand, BILL MURRAY: LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD
Original post by Mess.
The whole idea of Superman is that he has to be invincible, he has to be more than a human man in abilities, personality and will. If they try and make it like Batman it will be pretty terrible, Superman is meant to be a positive character, all primary colours and higher moral purpose.
Superman films always bug me though as they are never consistent with his abilities, especially his strength.

I don't think Nolan cares about what Superman HAS to be like, he's shown he can play around with comic book characters to fit good cinema. They will give Superman the right blend imo, and he can have super human abilities, moral purpose etc and STILL struggle. Its not like the two scenarios are independent.
(edited 11 years ago)
I know I've praised the scenes before but it has to be said since I've rewatched the film, the opening dairy farm scene and the bar scene in Inglorious Basterds are perfect in every sense. I can't think of another film which has had so much tension practically reverberate across so well than that film did in those two scenes.

I hope Tarantino puts in a tense 15 minute poker scene in Django Unchained. All I ask for.

EDIT: After which of course everybody starts shooting everybody else in true Tarantino style.
(edited 11 years ago)
How could you expect any less from Tarantino's best film? :holmes:
Original post by Colonel.
How could you expect any less from Tarantino's best film? :holmes:

That would depend entirely on whether he finds someone good to replace Sally Menke.
Reply 6366
Original post by Phalanges
That would depend entirely on whether he finds someone good to replace Sally Menke.

He's chosen Fred Raskin, so far best known for editing three editions of the The Fast and the Furious series. :erm:
Original post by Abiraleft
He's chosen Fred Raskin, so far best known for editing three editions of the The Fast and the Furious series. :erm:

Well an editor can only work with what he's got, after all. The more important thing is what kind of style he has with Tarantino and whether he's got enough confidence and experience to stand up to him.
Reply 6368
Original post by Abiraleft
Watched Ghost World last night, thought it was a very good re-imagining of the comics. Buscemi is superb. :adore:

I watched that film for the first time and enjoyed it. It was interesting how they adapted it from the comic. Seymour is only a minor character in the comic.

According to Emma Watson's Twitter, the Perks of Being a Wallflower is finally going to be released in September.
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33999

That's good to know. I do hope Clive Owen will be returning to it as well, though. Fingers crossed, eh? :tongue: :crossedf:
Reply 6370
Original post by PoGo HoPz
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33999

That's good to know. I do hope Clive Owen will be returning to it as well, though. Fingers crossed, eh? :tongue: :crossedf:

Everything about that article is fantastic. Excited!
Original post by Mister Dead
I'm not sure Avatar was overrated though, was it? It was hugely successful and popular, but not really overrated. Inception was 'overrated' and maybe a better example, but way better a film.

I went to see avengers last night. My housemate wanted to see 3D and I went along with that, which was an error. It was only half full and and i'm pretty sure that the 2D was near sold out, so maybe it's on the wane, at last. The 3D was poor and I had to keep lifting the glasses to give myself an idea of the intended luminescence.

The filmed really bored us both. Another cgi smashfest that will be instantly forgotton. No charm, few bits of truly excellent dialogue, a couple of good scenes, but just waaaaaaaaay tooooooooooo long. I mean, we just wanted it to end by about 45 minutes from the end. The number of people taking toilet breaks was ridiculous, and when you have a decent story, a gripping story and one you just don't want to miss even a second of, that doesn't happen. Very poor, very disappointing after all the amazing reviews.

Came home, watched Die Hard. Flipping excellent.

I didn't think Avatar was too good 8/10 and I only really think things got action packed towards the end and the plot was stupid of humans trying to steal aliens's planet.Why not let the aliens be vicious and a bit more CGI animated?-they didn't look that good for CGI or that alien because aliens shouldn't resemble humans in any way should they?
Not too good. 8/10.

Although I do like the word "aliens's". It's like I'm reading Gollum's thoughts.
There should have been more CGI in that film.
Reply 6374
Jackie Chan has announced he is retiring from action films.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/05/18/jackie-chan-retired-action-movies_n_1527598.html?_r=true

I hope to see the real acting side he speaks of come to light in future works but for now, let's appreciate the legend among men:

Original post by Dalek1099
I didn't think Avatar was too good 8/10 and I only really think things got action packed towards the end and the plot was stupid of humans trying to steal aliens's planet.Why not let the aliens be vicious and a bit more CGI animated?-they didn't look that good for CGI or that alien because aliens shouldn't resemble humans in any way should they?

i'm not sure you'd attract hundreds of millions of pounds of sympathy ca$h if yer aliens looked like a gaseus cloud, or some bacteria.

avatar was just a very, very rubbish film.
Original post by Mo-Amin
Jackie Chan has announced he is retiring from action films.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/05/18/jackie-chan-retired-action-movies_n_1527598.html?_r=true

I hope to see the real acting side he speaks of come to light in future works but for now, let's appreciate the legend among men:

This is probably my favourite Jackie Chan fight scene. :giggle:

By far my favourite.
Reply 6378
Original post by Dalek1099

Out of interest, why not? :holmes:

Also, how good is good? What score would you give to films that are not so good or downright bad? :holmes:
Transformers is obviously 10/10.

Quick Reply

Latest