The Student Room Group

My A-Level Choices - Let me know what you think! :)

Poll

OCR Chemistry AS vs OCR Biology AS

I'm probably going to do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. I'm probably going to do Computer Science or something similar at uni. I don't know if I should do chemistry because I don't need it for Computer Science. I'm definitely going to drop Chemistry is I decide to do it. But I'm wondering of there any other subject I should do? What's easier, Biology or Chemistry? I'm leaning towards Chemistry because it fits my other subjects better, but I might choose Biology if it's easier. I'm most likely going to go to Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College so the Exam board = OCR. Help!

Many thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure, there are some jobs in which both Chemistry and Computer occur. When you are more interesting in Biology, then take it, otherwise I would choose chemistry, if I was you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Whatever you like better, you're studying it for minimum a year, it's gointo suck if you don't choose something you enjoy. AS Chem is easier (for me) than AS Bio, but i enjoy both pretty much equally :smile:
Reply 3
Neither Biology or Chemistry are easier than the other, each to their own merits. You're options look good but go for the subject you want to go with otherwise you're going to have a very boring two years which you won't like very much.

But on the whole, yes, you're choices look good for what you want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by Ferrari_1996

I was gonna apply to Joseph chamberlain and got their forms and everything and didn't end up doing it. Damn
Reply 5
I'm probably going to do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. I'm probably going to do Computer Science or something similar at uni. I don't know if I should do chemistry because I don't need it for Computer Science. I'm definitely going to drop Chemistry is I decide to do it. But I'm wondering of there any other subject I should do? What's easier, Biology or Chemistry? I'm leaning towards Chemistry because it fits my other subjects better, but I might choose Biology if it's easier. I'm most likely going to go to Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College so the Exam board = OCR. Help!

My only advice would be to take the one you prefer. I picked further maths cos I thought it would be a 'good one to get' but I'm regretting it now... it doesn't really matter what goes with your subjects more (I mean it helps, but it's not the most important criteria) but trust me it sucks to study subjects you don't enjoy!
Reply 6
I would strongly advise against doing chemistry if you don't need it. All of my friends have struggled with Chemistry and most people say it's the hardest A Level. Most people I know who do it got D's and E's and sometimes even U's at AS. A lot of them really regret it.
I think they're pretty strong choices.
Out of biology and chemistry, I found biology easier for sure! Biology I can link to everyday life but with chemistry, some of the stuff you have to learn can be dull. But that may be down to the fact my biology teacher gives me regular homeworks and I put more effort in biology. Also because there was a year's gap between GCSE Chem and AS chem so when I started the course, my basic knowledge was non-existent.
I wouldn't say chemistry is impossible though, the majority of people in my class are finding it okay.
Just choose what you prefer!
Reply 8
The problem is that I'm not sure which one I prefer. I may add a poll if I can...
Reply 9
Poll added. Please vote and remember it's multiple choice so you can vote for more than 1 option. However please vote honestly because I really help on which AS to choose. The exam board is OCR if that helps :smile:

Also, feel free to post to Tell me why you picked the option(s) that you picked. Thanks!
Reply 10
chemistry! it's the most fun :smile: biology is just boring and pure memorisation
Original post by tnetennba
chemistry! it's the most fun :smile: biology is just boring and pure memorisation

I don't agree with you! both Chemistry and Biology is interesting. I think there are doctrines in Biology which could be interesting. Genetic for example. Or biological chemistry! that is an aspect in which Biology and Chemistry are interconnected.

But of course it depends on what do you like. If a person like me is very interesting in all kinds of Biology, there is not a consideration in my mind that is boring in one.
Reply 12
Biology is easier
but Chemistry is probably more suitable :smile:

<3 x
OMG it's so hard! Some say Chemistry, others say Biology. I'm going to Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College (probably), so maybe if somebody who good there can give me advice?
Biology has more content, but that is easier, while Chem is the opposite, though lots of practice will let you do OK.
That is a really difficult choice which I have. But I would recommend you to take Biology, because it's my favorite natural science. Nevertheless, you should considering what is the best for you. If I was you, I would decide me for Biology.
Damn, I was leaning towards Chemistry but this decision is becoming harder and harder... Is there anybody here that goes to JCC?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17

What exam board are you going to be on for computing?

I do biology and chemistry AS at the moment and am going to take them both onto A2. I'm on Edexcel, but it'll probably be pretty similar. I definitely think Biology is easier than chemistry, and I really enjoy some of the topics, however there are other ones that I find really dull (biodiversity, classification, plants (ugh)). I also really like chemistry, and although I find it a lot harder than biology, a lot of the time I kind of like it more. There's less memorisation involved, and everything kind of just makes sense. There's logical patterns to understanding stuff.

I suggest just choosing which ever one you enjoy more. I also take computing, and I hate it so so so so much.... but that's because the course on my exam board is just really dull, there are no proper resources, and I just have found that I have no interest whatsoever in a lot of the content.
Reply 18
Biology was easier for me but then I also had a 2 year gap from GCSE to chemistry, I even forgot about balancing equations :tongue:

The chemistry EXAMS are easier than the biology exams, so much more easier but the content you learn in chemistry i found harder. But it could also be the 2 year gap thing, idk :frown:
Alright... One thing that is really annoying me is that people aren't taking the poll seriously.... Someone voted for all the results and someone voted for Biology being easier and Chemistry being easier! Wtf! There's a reason why I made the poll public, vote properly and honestly, or GTFO of my thread.

Quick Reply

Latest