The Student Room Group

What does it take to get a nice girlfriend?

Someone asked a pretty similar question before, thought I'd ask.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Getting to know her? Once that's been dealt with, it's a matter of whether it's meant to be?
Reply 2
money, confidence & lies
why are a lot of people on tsr so cynical and full of stereotypes.

a nice boyfriend gets a nice girlfriend. If you are a good listener, understanding and supportive of her dreams and goals..you will get a girlfriend who is similar.
Original post by Lyrically
money, confidence & lies

no my friend those qualities would not get you a truly nice girlfriend. It would probably get you a shallow girlfriend who is impressed by a personality that isn't yours. It is better to be yourself and to be genuine to get someone who can be called a true life partner.

imo guys and girls who run after only shallow qualities only have themselves when they realise their partner is as fickle and as shallow as them.
Reply 5
Original post by indianaussie
no my friend those qualities would not get you a truly nice girlfriend. It would probably get you a shallow girlfriend who is impressed by a personality that isn't yours. It is better to be yourself and to be genuine to get someone who can be called a true life partner.

imo guys and girls who run after only shallow qualities only have themselves when they realise their partner is as fickle and as shallow as them.

Isn't nice completely subjective though? At what point does a girlfriend become 'nice'?

What do you want me to say? Put yourself in a social setting, speak to girls & guys (who could potentially introduce you to a girl), banter, flirt, talk, decide whether you share enough mutual interests/views or if you simply just connect. decide if you can escalate the relationship, have the confidence to escalate it, have the money to support it & somewhere(everywhere) down the line, the lies to keep it. Don't tell me those traits aren't enough to get a girlfriend, because sadly, more often than not they are.
Isn't nice completely subjective though? At what point does a girlfriend become 'nice'?

What do you want me to say? Put yourself in a social setting, speak to girls & guys (who could potentially introduce you to a girl), banter, flirt, talk, decide whether you share enough mutual interests/views or if you simply just connect. decide if you can escalate the relationship, have the confidence to escalate it, have the money to support it & somewhere(everywhere) down the line, the lies to keep it. Don't tell me those traits aren't enough to get a girlfriend, because sadly, more often than not they are.

It is subjective but i meant it to mean nice generally. As in someone who likes you for who you are. Your personality, your interests, hobbies and the things that are important to you. Of course, a nice boyfriend will value the same in a girlfriend. Not because of material things like money or wanting a guy to lie to fit some image. I don't have enough relationship experience to offer ways to achieve this but from the experience of my friends i agree up to where you mention confidence. I don't think money and lies are the foundation of a solid relationship. You don't want money and lies to be what attracts a "nice" girlfriend to you because when that runs out she might move on. So in my opinion i would not consider her to be a nice girlfriend.

If i were to joke about this i would say a british accent, of whatever type, is enough to get a nice girlfriend but obviously most people here being british means that would hardly make someone stand out.
Reply 7
I don't think money and lies are the foundation of a solid relationship.

That would be ridiculous :rolleyes:
That would be ridiculous :rolleyes:

Exactly. It's for that reason I think that if money and lies are required to attract a girl to you she is not a "nice" girlfriend.
A relationship based on money and lies will come tumbling down like a pack of cards in the wind. I would rather suggest the op use his accent instead to attract girls. :smile: :h::
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by jharrington93
Someone asked a pretty similar question before, thought I'd ask.

Be a jerk, they go crazy for them....
Original post by ioNonSono
Be a jerk, they go crazy for them....

That's so not true. :/ Plus you don't need to be a jerk if you've got a british accent. :smile: I dare say you can be sensitive and be yourself completely.
why are a lot of people on tsr so cynical and full of stereotypes.

a nice boyfriend gets a nice girlfriend. If you are a good listener, understanding and supportive of her dreams and goals..you will get a girlfriend who is similar.

If there was ever a statement that is less true, I have yet to hear it.

OP, a simple question does not always necessitate a simple answer. This is one of those cases.

Pick girls you approach carefully.
Original post by Alpharius
If there was ever a statement that is less true, I have yet to hear it.

OP, a simple question does not always necessitate a simple answer. This is one of those cases.

Pick girls you approach carefully.

why would you think that? I guess it depends on how you define "nice." If you mean it to be stunningly hot and amazing with a great personality, then it might not be accurate all the time. Sometimes the niceness of a guy doesn't get expressed so it might result in him missing out. I have friends, who i would say are conventionally good looking as well as nice, and they have boyfriends who are nice as well. None of them had to act like jerks to get a girlfriend. They are genuinely carefree, relaxed and respectful blokes.

Before coming on this thread I didn't realise British guys were so cynical about relationships and girls. It's quite disappointing to hear.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Being yourself?
Reply 14
That's so not true. :/ Plus you don't need to be a jerk if you've got a british accent. :smile: I dare say you can be sensitive and be yourself completely.

I dunno, most of the really nice girls I know have jerk boyfriends. Maybe I just don't like their bf thats all.

In the relationships most of the times, someone loves and the other allows him/her to be loved... And its vary rare when both love each other equally passionate. Just a more realistic view I guess.
why would you think that? I guess it depends on how you define "nice." If you mean it to be stunningly hot and amazing with a great personality, then it might not be accurate all the time. Sometimes the niceness of a guy doesn't get expressed so it might result in him missing out. I have friends, who i would say are conventionally good looking as well as nice, and they have boyfriends who are nice as well. None of them had to act like jerks to get a girlfriend. They are genuinely carefree, relaxed and respectful blokes.

Before coming on this thread I didn't realise British guys were so cynical about relationships and girls. It's quite disappointing to hear.

Well done for answering your question.

I have seen first hand the nicest guy's get treated like crap by their girlfriends (and vice versa).

You get what you can, not what you deserve.
Gold. Lots and lots of gold.
Original post by Alpharius
Well done for answering your question.

I have seen first hand the nicest guy's get treated like crap by their girlfriends (and vice versa).

You get what you can, not what you deserve.

I was asking you that question. I meant that if a nice guy is expecting to always get a stunning girl with a great personality then that might not happen especially if he is not willing to lower his standards if he meets someone who is just good looking with a great personality. I think personality should count for more than looks.

Just because you have seen that happen often doesn't mean it always happens and that it is one sided. I know plenty of nice girls in relationship with nice guys. You said vice versa so you acknowledge it happens the other way around as well. Nice girls can also get treated like crap by their boyfriends.

I think we usually get what we project ourselves as being.

This thread is basically a response to isa's what does it take to get a nice boyfriend
Original post by ioNonSono
I dunno, most of the really nice girls I know have jerk boyfriends. Maybe I just don't like their bf thats all.

In the relationships most of the times, someone loves and the other allows him/her to be loved... And its vary rare when both love each other equally passionate. Just a more realistic view I guess.

I agree with that. It's hard to find a couple who are equally passionate about each other. One of the couple loves the other more. It's sad that nice people feel they have to stay with jerks when there are other more deserving guys/girls. I don't understand that. I hope you mean most not all. That would be really unfortunate.

Here where i live out of the couples i know they both seem equally nice to each other and respectful.
I was asking you that question. I meant that if a nice guy is expecting to always get a stunning girl with a great personality then that might not happen especially if he is not willing to lower his standards if he meets someone who is just good looking with a great personality. I think personality should count for more than looks.

I was only talking about personality.

Just because you have seen that happen often doesn't mean it always happens and that it is one sided. I know plenty of nice girls in relationship with nice guys. You said vice versa so you acknowledge it happens the other way around as well. Nice girls can also get treated like crap by their boyfriends.

I know, good to see you acknowledged that I had acknowledged that.

I think we usually get what we project ourselves as being.

This thread is basically a response to isa's what does it take to get a nice boyfriend

Which was another stupid thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending