The Student Room Group

Man in court for growing weed to calm his anger and depression

Another waste of taxpayers money, when are they going to wake up?:

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Man-grew-cannabis-help-calm-anger-problem/story-16127771-detail/story.html

A SELF-EMPLOYED engineer grew cannabis plants to self-medicate his anger problem, a court was told.

Police found 20 plants at Lee Priest's home in Derby Road, Heanor.

They were growing under three timer-controlled lamps in a basement, magistrates in Chesterfield were told.

Becky Mahon, prosecuting, said the plants had a potential street value of between £3,600 and £11,250, depending on their yield.

Priest told police he was going to let them grow for another fortnight and then check on the internet what to do next.

Ms Mahon said: "He said he had anger management issues and smoked up to half an ounce of cannabis a week, and he used it to relax himself.

"Police believe he would keep some for his own use and sell the rest to subsidise the outlay for future crops."

Kevin Tomlinson, in mitigation, said Priest had been prescribed Prozac for depression but it had an adverse effect on him.

Mr Tomlinson said: "He felt it would be better to take cannabis than Prozac."

Priest, 33, admitted producing 20 cannabis plants between January 1 and March 12.

He will be sentenced on July 13. He was granted bail.

When are the docile government going to realise prosecuting people for this is a waste of time, resources and money? Its a case of, 'the drugs we give you that we gain profit from you can take, others no no, even if it helps your condition better'. What a spineless concept. This guy should be given compensation for the mental anguish this will cause him, further adding to his issues. Legalize growing cannabis for home use!!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by badcheesecrispy
Legalize growing cannabis for home use!!

While I wholeheartedly agree that this court case is a waste of money for the taxpayer, I do not agree that growing cannabis for personal use should be legalised, as it would be near impossible to economically prevent the grown cannabis from being sold for profit...

EDIT: 2 negs, yet nobody seems to want to argue?

That's TSR for you, folks...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thegodofgod
While I wholeheartedly agree that this court case is a waste of money for the taxpayer, I do not agree that growing cannabis for personal use should be legalised, as it would be near impossible to economically prevent the grown cannabis from being sold for profit...

Of course, but people do that anyway and always will. Its about time the government allowed people to within reason do what they like with their own bodies. Prosecuting someone who is merely self medicating is pointless.
Reply 3
20 plants for personal use? my ass was that all for personal use...
Reply 4
The government already has a pretty lax stance on Cannabis, if you're caught with it, unless you've got **** loads, the police will just confiscate it and tell you to be on your way.
Reply 5
How do we know he wasn't going to sell it? He definately had enough of it to make it worth while.
we all the know the ONLY reasons dope is still illegal is that you can easily grow excellent stuff yourself and there's currently no clear way to combat that, re. marketing it as a product (it would damage the drinks and medicines market hugely). It's also massively tied up in black market trade/funding of gov organisations abroad.

Only people that are truly stoned out of their minds would believe the propaganda.

Who would honestly gives a **** about arresting people for growing plants. Only a moron.
(edited 11 years ago)
Kevin Tomlinson, in mitigation, said Priest had been prescribed Prozac for depression but it had an adverse effect on him.

Mr Tomlinson said: "He felt it would be better to take cannabis than Prozac."

There are plenty of other antidepressants that he could have tried. But no, instead he tried one and then uses this as an excuse for producing illegal drugs with the intent to sell them.
There's nothing wrong with smoking pot, it's obvious. It's far better for you, both mind and body wise, than alcohol, yet that never stops being pushed on people via various media streams.

There is no question at all that THC helps or even cures many different ailments for many different people all over the world. As the OP stated, the only reason it's illegal is because it's not profitable, not because the government wants to take good care of us. You can get pills containing THC, go figure.
The state should GTFO of people's personal activities. There really is no legitimate excuse for locking people up for something done between consenting parties which also does not affect anyone else.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
There are plenty of other antidepressants that he could have tried. But no, instead he tried one and then uses this as an excuse for producing illegal drugs with the intent to sell them.

Some people dont want to fill their body with those kind of drugs, and I dont blame them. Your clueless, you dont even know what anti depressants can do to a persons health.
Some people dont want to fill their body with those kind of drugs, and I dont blame them. Your clueless, you dont even know what anti depressants can do to a persons health.

Honey, since January I've tried three different antidepressants and I will keep searching until I find one that works for me. I have done lots of research into the side-effects of different types of anti-depressants as well as other treatments for depression. I know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and there is a massive difference between 'for personal use' and 20 plants...
Honey, since January I've tried three different antidepressants and I will keep searching until I find one that works for me.

then you should be sympathetic torwards someone that is prepared to try other drugs. Have you tried marijuana for depression?
I agree OP. It also sickens me that most of us work the 9-5 grind on near enough minimum wage yet a ghetto hothead can fill a rented property with plants and walk away with potentially hundreds of thousands to millions

Honey, since January I've tried three different antidepressants and I will keep searching until I find one that works for me. I have done lots of research into the side-effects of different types of anti-depressants as well as other treatments for depression. I know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and there is a massive difference between 'for personal use' and 20 plants...

why don't you research cannabis then? Years of use and no side effects. THC receptors on the brain have developed showing how cannabis sativa and humans have evolved through millions of years. I do agree though; 20 plants is excessive for personal use... Cannabis shouldn't be illegal but under the current laws he should get done for intent to supply imo
Original post by Mister Dead
then you should be sympathetic torwards someone that is prepared to try other drugs. Have you tried marijuana for depression?

Why should I when there are huge amounts of other LEGAL options I need to try? Antidepressants are not a miracle cure but they are not the awful drugs everyone makes them out to be. And I would much rather take my meds than something that could cause other mental health problems.
Original post by rugbyladosc
I agree OP. It also sickens me that most of us work the 9-5 grind on near enough minimum wage yet a ghetto hothead can fill a rented property with plants and walk away with potentially hundreds of thousands to millions

Twenty plants barely even fills a small room. Your numbers are overestimations. What sickens you, that you didn't have the initiative?
Why should I when there are huge amounts of other LEGAL options I need to try? Antidepressants are not a miracle cure but they are not the awful drugs everyone makes them out to be. And I would much rather take my meds than something that could cause other mental health problems.

Ok, what if I slipped some THC into your dinner (putting aside the rapey implications) and it worked?

What would your next move be?

PS - Having researched anti-depressants you'll know that one of the side effects that is listed for most is mental health problems.
(edited 11 years ago)

Cannabis has been shown, at low doses, to be an incredibly effective anti-depressant. However, it does the opposite in higher doses. It's a risk, but that just puts it solely at the discretion of the user.

Look in to it. It has almost no side effects, and the ones that are there are minor and nothing to worry about. Educate yourself a little bit more about it then rethink.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mister Dead
Twenty plants barely even fills a small room. Your numbers are overestimations. What sickens you, that you didn't have the initiative?

no its true police always make busts with half a million £ worth of plants all the time. I have initiative and am an accomplished gardener :wink:, it just doesn't seem fair those willing to break the law, or have 'initiative', can reap it in. It's not a level playing field as only those with the means can compete.
Original post by rugbyladosc
no its true police always make busts with half a million £ worth of plants all the time. I have initiative and am an accomplished gardener :wink:, it just doesn't seem fair those willing to break the law, or have 'initiative', can reap it in. It's not a level playing field as only those with the means can compete.

Right, I thought we were talking about 20 plants.

i don't understand your point. What is unfair?

Quick Reply

Latest