The Student Room Group

Black (Asian too) and/or British?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Dee Leigh
Omg!!!!

Did he turn out alright? Where did he go?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

He seems ok now. We don't go to the same college anymore though so I'm not sure how he behaves in lessons although I doubt he'll act up anymore. He went Sierra Leone to live with his grandparents.

To be honest though, him telling me what happened was extremely funny. I couldn't stop laughing for a while.
Original post by Reform
Lol, a friend of mine was shipped for 2 years and a bit because of his behavior in school. His parents told him it was a holiday and they left him loool.

Looooooool! I've heard of that happening a lot, sneaky that is. I'd be very wary going on holiday with my parents now :tongue:
Original post by Kruz
Looooooool! I've heard of that happening a lot, sneaky that is. I'd be very wary going on holiday with my parents now :tongue:

Well if you do hold onto your passport!

And make sure you have the number for the Foreign Office!

I've read of cases where Asian girls are tricked into going abroad for a 'holiday' so that they are forced into a marriage. I don't agree with that at all, it's cruel.

Original post by Dee Leigh
Well if you do hold onto your passport!

And make sure you have the number for the Foreign Office!

I've read of cases where Asian girls are tricked into going abroad for a 'holiday' so that they are forced into a marriage. I don't agree with that at all, it's cruel.

I've heard of stories like that, it's cruel. I do that anyways, when we go Nigeria I always ask my mum if I can hold my passport, just in case.:tongue:
Right, if you're not a Celtic Briton, you're not British. Why stop at the last few decades? Why even stop at the Iron Age?
Reply 265
Most of us descended from immigrants, i.e. Vikings, Saxons, Normans etc. So none of us are fully British. Why do people obsess over this anyway?
Original post by willbee
Actually, the first black people came into this country with the Roman or even before:

Ahmed Ali and Ibrahim Ali, The Black Celts: an Ancient African Civilization in Ireland and Britain (Cardiff, 1992)

That is Afrocentric pseudo-history. No scholar takes it serious. Any crank can publish anything, doesn't make it truth. Afrocentrics are running wild across the internet claiming Blacks founded ancient Egypt, Rome, Sumeria, China etc. Its delusional and manifested self-hatred. Since no civilization actually came from Western Sub-Sahara Africa, Afrocentric nutbags in denial seek to claim they founded civilizations and were the progenitors of peoples they never were.

''The Black Celts''

LMAO.
I don't think it's necessary to 'distinguish' between the two.

This compatibility thing you mention is just a non-issue IMHO - race and culture isn't so black and white.
Reply 268
Original post by Pyramidologist
That is Afrocentric pseudo-history. No scholar takes it serious. Any crank can publish anything, doesn't make it truth. Afrocentrics are running wild across the internet claiming Blacks founded ancient Egypt, Rome, Sumeria, China etc. Its delusional and manifested self-hatred. Since no civilization actually came from Western Sub-Sahara Africa, Afrocentric nutbags in denial seek to claim they founded civilizations and were the progenitors of peoples they never were.

''The Black Celts''

LMAO.

Roman Emperor Septemus Severus was black African. You're a racist. Face it. Now bugger off.
Reply 269
Original post by willbee
Roman Emperor Septemus Severus was black African. You're a racist. Face it. Now bugger off.

Umm, first time I've heard of this. Do you have a link where I can read more because wikipedia doesn't bring this up.
Original post by fbear
Umm, first time I've heard of this. Do you have a link where I can read more because wikipedia doesn't bring this up.

He's just an Afrocentric troll. So far he has claimed the Celts were ''Black'', now Roman emperors according to him were. LMAO. He's just a self-hating black guy who hates being black so he will try to rob other races of their history.

There was nothing remotely Black about Septemus Severus. We have busts of him, he's clearly North African (Caucasoid) in appearance -

How the hell is this a black man?
Reply 271
He's just an Afrocentric troll. So far he has claimed the Celts were ''Black'', now Roman emperors according to him were. LMAO. He's just a self-hating black guy who hates being black so he will try to rob other races of their history.

There was nothing remotely Black about Septemus Severus. We have busts of him, he's clearly North African (Caucasoid) in appearance -

I thought as much. Sadly there are people who claim Hannibal was black, Egyptians were black/white, Indians were white, and I've even heard that Gengis Khan was black. :eek:
Reply 272
Original post by Kruz
Yep! Pretty much summarised Nigeria, my parent always complain about these problems. The tv shows over there are :facepalm2:.

haha and the sound affects on the movies
Reply 273
Original post by fbear

I read it in a book about racism. It was part of the "Very Short Introductions" Series published by the Oxford University Press. However, on further research it appears he was actually Phoenician so my bad:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/gr/m/statue_septimius_severus.aspx

Here is what the British Museum has to say.

I've just been arguing in defence of black and Asian people who consider themselves British. Race and nationality are two seperate things but Pyramidologist is arguing that you cannot be black and British even if you've spent your whole life here, speak this language and have this culture.

He says that there were no black people here before 60 years ago and so no black people can consider themselves British. Most of my family have been here less than 60 years but I still consider myself British. This is my country and culture. I was born here and have lived here my entire life. Therefore I am British irregardless of where my ancestors where from.
Reply 274

Actually, you were saying black people cannot consider themselves British as their ancestry is not British. You claimed you could personally date you ancestry back 12000 years. You then said that black people have only been here in big numbers for 60 years and that the first account of black people in this country was in the 1600s.

In fact, there is evidence to suggest black people have existed in Britain for much longer than just at the start of the slave trade.

As for me calling Septemus Severus black, it was something I read somewhere a while back. "A Very Short Introduction to Racism" published by the Oxford University Press. I also cited this text in relation to black celts:

Ahmed Ali and Ibrahim Ali, The Black Celts: an Ancient African Civilization in Ireland and Britain (Cardiff, 1992)

Anyway, I'm done with this thread now. You're ignoring evidence that is significantly stronger than anything you've presented and you're clearly very racist and for that I pity you.

As for me being a self-hating black guy who is trying to rob other races of their history, that's a crock of ****e. I only referred to myself to argue against your suggestion that your ancestors must be British in order for you to be British. You said that most black people's ancestors haven't been living here for longer than 60 years so they cannot consider themselves British. Well my family have been in Britain for less than 60 years yet I am still British by birth, culture, language and nationality.

As for my own ancestral heritage: Irish and French. I'm not a self-hating black guy at all. I'm white. I just don't think that race makes a difference to Nationality. End of.
This is kind of related (just linked to the posts about stupid questions asked to people who are of a different race). I know a boy who is I think Sri Lankan by race, and I thought he'd moved here not long ago. A while ago we were talking and he said "I'm moving back home soon", and I said "Oh, to Sri Lanka?". He looked at me oddly and said "No, Hampshire". That was well and truly a :facepalm2: moment for me :redface:
Original post by Reform
Lol, a friend of mine was shipped for 2 years and a bit because of his behavior in school. His parents told him it was a holiday and they left him loool.

Haha, lmao.
You can be British as that is to do with nationality. However, you can't be english/welsh/scottish as that refers to ethnicity am I right? I prefer to refer to myself as British Asian/India though tbh. Don't see anything wrong with this. In the states you still see terms like African American and they have been living over there for far longer than asians in the UK.
Original post by RevolutionIsNear!
Anyone of any race can chip in!!

What do you think about the compatibility of being Black or Asian as well British? How do you mix the two? Do you distinguish between the two or do they go hand in hand? Do you consider yourself to have two cultures or is being British decisively more important? Can you be both black/Asian and British?

Please join The African Carribean Society!! ALL are welcome! Lol
:cool:
I was born & raised in England although I'm ethnically South Asian due to my parents but nationality wise I'm English/British, also I'm more in touch with the culture over here than South Asian wise so %wise would consider myself more English/British tbh.
Reply 279
You can but think it can be difficult to belong on either side 100%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending