The Student Room Group

Envy feelings - spoilt rich kids

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Gjaykay
Yeah that just means though that someone further back in their family worked hard, except lottery winners and the like, obviously.

Well yeah, but inheritance isn't particularly meritocratic.

It's hard to make those decisions though if you have money, you don't want your kids to have a crappy attitude or work ethic but at the same time you want to give them the best opportunities. I dislike some aspects of independent schools, and it would be nice if everyone got the same opportunities, but if I end up having the money I will probably send my kids to one, because I'm aware of the advantages it can give. I wouldn't leave them that much when I die though, they can work out how to get wealthy on their own, if they want to.
Reply 41
Original post by mimx

It's hard to make those decisions though if you have money, you don't want your kids to have a crappy attitude or work ethic but at the same time you want to give them the best opportunities. I dislike some aspects of independent schools, and it would be nice if everyone got the same opportunities, but if I end up having the money I will probably send my kids to one, because I'm aware of the advantages it can give. I wouldn't leave them that much when I die though, they can work out how to get wealthy on their own, if they want to.

I always feel scepticism when I hear wealthy people say they won't be leaving anything to their children. In nearly all cases they end up leaving what to others would sound a pretty substantial amount. Not that I blame them, but the "they can make it on their own" thing is often not reality.
Reply 42
Original post by Fires
I always feel scepticism when I hear wealthy people say they won't be leaving anything to their children. In nearly all cases they end up leaving what to others would sound a pretty substantial amount. Not that I blame them, but the "they can make it on their own" thing is often not reality.

Well obviously I'm not in the actual situation of having to make the decision, but it depends. I think that what probably happens is that a lot of rich kids are a bit useless on their own and the parents know it, so despite the disappointment they have in them, their parents don't want them to 'suffer' (comparatively) because of it, and so they leave them enough to sustain their lifestyle.

The key is not making them wastes of space in the first place. Which is difficult with or without money :tongue:
Original post by mimx

They'll love you for working to give them a good start. Better than you having a fast car imo. I think its more important to pass on what youve learned than putting them in a position where they gotta waste time learning stuff the way you did.
Reply 44
Meanwhile in Africa.........
Reply 45
Original post by green.tea
I think its more important to pass on what youve learned than putting them in a position where they gotta waste time learning stuff the way you did.

I don't know if everything can be imparted like that though. Some of it probably has to be done by letting them make their own mistakes and learning through experience. Plus I don't really think the ultimate goal has to be them becoming as wealthy as I (theoretically) am, it's just making them well developed individuals.
Original post by 007Shella

I say get them selling rhino horn from rhinio that died of natural causes. Use the money to pay them wages for protecting the live ones with guns. Meaning more rhinos, more rhino horn, decent jobs. Win/win.
Reply 47
You'll be having the last laugh when one of them crashes their gay BMW Z3 into a lamp post and breaks their spine in twenty places. :sexface:
Reply 48

It's a bit silly to say this since it's just comparative suffering. If you've lived in a house your whole life and switch to a tent, you're going to suffer, regardless of whether there are a billion other people in the world that don't even have that.
Reply 49
I say get them selling rhino horn from rhinio that died of natural causes. Use the money to pay them wages for protecting the live ones with guns. Meaning more rhinos, more rhino horn, decent jobs. Win/win.

Hmm not a bad idea... *ventures off to Africa*
Original post by mimx
I don't know if everything can be imparted like that though. Some of it probably has to be done by letting them make their own mistakes and learning through experience. Plus I don't really think the ultimate goal has to be them becoming as wealthy as I (theoretically) am, it's just making them well developed individuals.

If every generation has to learn the same stuff over and over wheres the improvement. You want your kids to develop your level of wisdom? Pah! Mine will add wisdom to my own.
Reply 51
Original post by mimx

Will you be "theoretically wealthy" because of inheritance? Rather an odd attitude to take if so.

I am in the category of the group of people who have benefited greatly from parental wealth/income. I think (hope) that a combination of parental role modelling, good schools and personal attitude has helped me not be too spoiled by the situation. My parents don't hold back things from us if we want them but we have kind of learned not to be too demanding. It's a fine line with well-off kids not to spoil them. There were some spoiled girls at my schools.

I know it's easy to say this from a somewhat superior situation, but I feel for OP as I'm sure it can't be easy to see much better off kids swanning around her neighbourhood if her own background is v. poor. London can be strange that way - the upper classes live close to the poor in a lot of places. It's different in other parts of the country, where private schools and rich areas tend to be very separate.
Reply 52
Original post by jamboogy
You'll be having the last laugh when one of them crashes their gay BMW Z3 into a lamp post and breaks their spine in twenty places. :sexface:

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, do you know someone that happened to? If so, why are you making a thing of it?
Reply 53
If every generation has to learn the same stuff over and over wheres the improvement. You want your kids to develop your level of wisdom? Pah! Mine will add wisdom to my own.

Kids are dumb, they won't believe you when you try pass it on.

Original post by UCLEmily
Will you be "theoretically wealthy" because of inheritance? Rather an odd attitude to take if so.

No I mean if I'm this 'original person who works hard' for it and have to decide whether to pass it all on to my children.
Original post by mimx
Kids are dumb, they won't believe you when you try pass it on.

They will if they respect you.
Reply 55
The girls you are talking about may look glossy and self-confident, but trust me, they don't all have it quite as easy or as relaxed as you think. Part of the private-school thing is to get good at looking right and giving off the right vibe.

Theyve got it made which is why they look so pleased about it.
Reply 56
I wouldn't wish that on anyone, do you know someone that happened to? If so, why are you making a thing of it?

It's a joke, not a dick. Don't take it so hard.
Reply 57
Yes but my point is.... Be appreciative of what you have

I could complain too.. but then I feel so ungrateful

For instance my father wears an £8K watch, buy my step mother Christian Louboutins, my half-brother goes to a primary school which is about £10k a year

and My dad can't even pay my school fees on time which is private, I nearly got kicked out because of that reason... and it's not even a quarter that of my brothers

fair? no.

I don't think you need to have a chip on your shoulder about it, but it's fine to complain about stuff sometimes and have a gripe.
Reply 58
They will if they respect you.

Which in itself isn't so simply attained.
Original post by jamboogy

What a simply vile thing to say. There are very few times that I read some on TSR that actually disgusts me, but this was one of those times.

Quick Reply

Latest