The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

For a question along the lines of 'Asses the claim that religious language is meaningless'. Is it necessary to discuss everything from early Verificationists, falsification, wittgenstein, via negative right through to analogy, myth & symbol?

If such, how much detail should I be writing in? I'm a little bewildered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Hi,

I wouldn't....you've only got 45 minutes in an examination and you wouldn't have time to do the question justice. You have to go into depth to get evaluative marks.

I'd pick two from each side of the 'meaningful/meaningless' debate, so maybe Verification (OR falsification) then maybe the Via Negativa before moving to symbol/analogy/myth (2 of them) and maybe language games.

All the best,

Clareiclesx
has anyone got any notes on these three questions

critically evlaUATE THE APPRAOCH OF VIRTUE ETHICS TO BUSINESS

UTILITERISM IS THE BEST APPROACH TO BUSSINESS ETHICS

NATUIRAL LAW IS THE MOST RELIABLE APPRAOCH WHEN MAKING JUDGMEnt S ABOUT SEX AND RELATIONSHIPs

thanks in advance
Original post by ndubz4lyf
has anyone got any notes on these three questions

critically evlaUATE THE APPRAOCH OF VIRTUE ETHICS TO BUSINESS

UTILITERISM IS THE BEST APPROACH TO BUSSINESS ETHICS

NATUIRAL LAW IS THE MOST RELIABLE APPRAOCH WHEN MAKING JUDGMEnt S ABOUT SEX AND RELATIONSHIPs

thanks in advance

I would check this site out, it has great revision notes for almost everything philosophy and ethics related.
http://sites.google.com/site/farrowsthings/revision/a2-religious-ethics
Original post by et cetera
I would check this site out, it has great revision notes for almost everything philosophy and ethics related.
http://sites.google.com/site/farrowsthings/revision/a2-religious-ethics

thank you so much
Does anyone know whether we need to learn the chapter on Revelation & Holy Scripture?

A quick and comprehensive response would be appreciated. :biggrin:
Does anyone know whether we need to learn the chapter on Revelation & Holy Scripture?

A quick and comprehensive response would be appreciated. :biggrin:

It is now the last part of Religious experience.
Do we need to know the psychological and sociological challenges to religious experience as the 'guide to what has changed' on the OCR website seems to suggest they have been removed...? :confused:

I'm tempted just to revise them, as well as the separate topic on revelation and holy scripture in the textbook, anyway as they may be of some use.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by PatrickD
Do we need to know the psychological and sociological challenges to religious experience as the 'guide to what has changed' on the OCR website seems to suggest they have been removed...? :confused:

I'm tempted just to revise them, as well as the separate topic on revelation and holy scripture in the textbook, anyway as they may be of some use.

Worth learning them, they're good criticisms for the AO2 part.
Original post by lampshade1
Worth learning them, they're good criticisms for the AO2 part.

Yeah that was my thinking. I like the fact that the specification and questions are pretty open, enabling you to bring in extra knowledge that isn't required but is useful for picking up extra marks.

I'm going to include the psychological and sociological challenges to religious experience in my notes as I make them but I think I'll leave the revelation and holy scripture chapter until last just so I've revised everything else first.
Original post by PatrickD

I would definitely learn them, I've seen previous mark schemes where it has suggested the inclusion of Freud, Marx and Stanley Koren.
I would definitely learn them, I've seen previous mark schemes where it has suggested the inclusion of Freud, Marx and Stanley Koren.

Yeah, they'll certainly be useful as extra criticisms to throw in if need be.
Does anyone have any predictions on what is going to come up? I don't do Ethics (we do Buddhism instead) but I have been looking at Philosophy and have come up with a few logical ideas of what they might ask:

Via Negativa - it has NEVER come up, and is pretty much the only thing in Religious Language that hasn't (other than Verification, but Falsification was asked about in January...)

God as Eternal - the only part of the Attributes spec that has never come up

Some kind of Religious Experience, probably something quite niche. Visions has been asked about before, so maybe voices, conversion or "Numinous" experience maybe?

Life after Death - this didn't come up in January and has come up every previous year. Perhaps something about Hick?

Wiles has never been asked about either, but the question about miracles in January required him to be talked about in the answer. Revelation through scripture has also been absent for over a year...

What do you think? These seem pretty likely to me, but OCR seem to like repeating certain things. Omniscience and analogy have come up a few times already.
(edited 11 years ago)
is revelation through scripture a seperate topic on the spec or is just something you can bring into discussions about religious experience?
Original post by xthelasthorcrux
Does anyone have any predictions on what is going to come up? I don't do Ethics (we do Buddhism instead) but I have been looking at Philosophy and have come up with a few logical ideas of what they might ask:

Via Negativa - it has NEVER come up, and is pretty much the only thing in Religious Language that hasn't (other than Verification, but Falsification was asked about in January...)

God as Eternal - the only part of the Attributes spec that has never come up

Some kind of Religious Experience, probably something quite niche. Visions has been asked about before, so maybe voices, conversion or "Numinous" experience maybe?

Life after Death - this didn't come up in January and has come up every previous year. Perhaps something about Hick?

Wiles has never been asked about either, but the question about miracles in January required him to be talked about in the answer. Revelation through scripture has also been absent for over a year...

What do you think? These seem pretty likely to me, but OCR seem to like repeating certain things. Omniscience and analogy have come up a few times already.

What about miracles?
I'm revising Philosophy - specifically Rel. Language.

I'm struggling. What is the difference between Symbols and Myth? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending