The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;FkQH7g2x8gk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQH7g2x8gk[/video]
PMSL if any Spurs fans are reacting like it is the end of the world for only getting into the Europa League.

What's so bad about it? It's still a Euro trophy to aim for and worth taking seriously and there is no need for such snobbery against it.
Reply 1782
subbed. COYS! :woo:
Original post by robocop1andahalf
PMSL if any Spurs fans are reacting like it is the end of the world for only getting into the Europa League.

What's so bad about it? It's still a Euro trophy to aim for and worth taking seriously and there is no need for such snobbery against it.

Preparing to be in the line of fire for mentioning us in the same breath as Manchester United/City and Arsenal, but our sights were set higher. We have played in the Champions League before and we wanted to do it again. We've been losing many of our best players (Campbell, Sheringham, set to lose Modric/Bale) to the Champions League regulars. The Europa League offers no route to the Champions League and as such is rightly viewed as detached and second-rate compared to the latter.

Would Arsenal be happy with the EL? Would Chelsea? The answer's no.
Reply 1784
Original post by rockrunride
Preparing to be in the line of fire for mentioning us in the same breath as Manchester United/City and Arsenal, but our sights were set higher. We have played in the Champions League before and we wanted to do it again. We've been losing many of our best players (Campbell, Sheringham, set to lose Modric/Bale) to the Champions League regulars. The Europa League offers no route to the Champions League and as such is rightly viewed as detached and second-rate compared to the latter.

Would Arsenal be happy with the EL? Would Chelsea? The answer's no.

tbh, the europa league level of football is where spurs should be playing, i watch the games on thursday nights and after the group stages there are pretty good teams, + look at the final, bilbao vs athletico madrid, great teams.

whats the point of playing in cl when you have 0 chance of winning? cup is better than no cup. its unfortunate that everyone has this obsession with cl, and its hard to attract / retain the top players without it. but look at arsenal, been in the cl for 7 consecutive seasons(mbe longer), achieved nothing - if they had won the europa league once in that period, im sure their fans would have been happier
I hate that argument where people say that "There's no point being in the CL because you're not going to win it". So many underdogs have gone on to win Europe's prestigious competition. Chelsea just proved that yesterday. Stop with that bull****.
The EL is Europe's `League Cup' to the CL as the FA Cup.

Widely seen as the inferior trophy which is why so many sub-par teams (in European terms) have made finals in recent years.

Middlesbrough were runners-up 6 years ago, and Rangers 4 years ago - that should tell you all you need to know.
Reply 1787
As a Spurs fan, I hate to be pessimistic but this is it for us. Shame because we truly were stopped in our tracks of reaching some future success.

Bale has already hinted at leaving. In other words, he was being professional in saying "If we don't make CL, I'm out of here." Modric will go, maybe to Real Madrid or Chelsea. Although he will be greatly missed, I won't be too fussed after his issues last Summer and Chelsea. VDV will probably go to someone bigger, as with Adebayor. Ekotto will also want to leave. This unfortunately is the harsh reality of the situation. Its really sad because we truly deserved to be in the CL. Yeah we flopped, but we played the most exciting football of the season. I also think it is unjust considering Chelsea are such a scumbag team. Part of me has already re-adapted to mid table finishes months before the new season has started. At least the last 3 years were pretty fun.

I think we should just focus on building a new stadium to attract big buyers and players, and try to stay consistent in perhaps the top 10 of the table until we have ground again. This has held us back years I believe. I think it may take 10 years + to attempt to win anything/top 4. I do think there should be changes to the UEFA ruling though, this is completely unjust and unfair.
Reply 1788
Original post by marcusmerehay
The EL is Europe's `League Cup' to the CL as the FA Cup.

Widely seen as the inferior trophy which is why so many sub-par teams (in European terms) have made finals in recent years.

Middlesbrough were runners-up 6 years ago, and Rangers 4 years ago - that should tell you all you need to know.

So that must also be true for the champions league as well since we have seen sub-par teams like Monaco, Levercusen, Valencia, Villareal etc in the finals or semis and Porto, Inter, Liverpool and Chelsea actually winning it when they were far from actually being the best teams when they won it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by robocop1andahalf

If you don't realise the implications then you are a complete and utter fool
Original post by bkeevin
So that must also be true for the champions league as well since we have seen sub-par teams like Monaco, Levercusen, Valencia, Villareal etc in the finals or semis and Porto, Inter, Liverpool and Chelsea actually winning it when they were far from actually being the best teams when they won it.

These are teams who are/were good enough (by rights) for the Champions League though.

Middlesbrough and Rangers were never good enough for the latter stages of the Europa League.

Of those you've listed Monaco are the only real anomaly as you've got Porto under Mourinho, Valencia under Benitez and a Leverkusen team that contained more than half the German national side (including Neuville, Kirsten and Ramelow).

Villareal had Riquelme and Forlan in their side, while Inter more than speak for themselves.

I've made no secret of how lucky Chelsea have been this season, but they still have players who are good enough.
Reply 1791
What's the contract situation of Modric/Bale/VDV? Really hope you can keep your team together, i've loved watching you this season.

It's quite hard to see you being in a stronger position by the end of the summer though. Even assuming you keep the 3 i've mentioned you've gotta spend money on a striker just to get around the same level you are now.
of course they can't. this will set them back 5 years
Original post by Darth Vader 7
I hate that argument where people say that "There's no point being in the CL because you're not going to win it". So many underdogs have gone on to win Europe's prestigious competition. Chelsea just proved that yesterday. Stop with that bull****.

Tbh, we weren't really underdogs like people said we were. It's not a case of marseille or villareal getting to the final. Chelsea always had the team to win it.

I'm not even being biased, not saying we are the best team, but we had a team capable of winning it, hence why I wasn't happy with coming sixth in the league when we should have come 3rd at least this year in the prem. You don't go from 2nd to 6th in a year and then just become a poor side uncapable of winning the CL when you've strengthened your team like we have, I'm sure we were contenders last year when we got to the quarter final.
Original post by bkeevin

Inter were the best team in 2010, please do not bull**** me.
Beat chelsea with ease who were probably the main contenders bar barcelona that year and won the double.
Only struggled in one match against barcelona at the nou camp.
Any team that's in the final deserves to be there. Look at leverkusen in 2002, berbatov, butt, ballack, they've all gone to bigger clubs. Look at porto, carvalho, ferreira, bosingwa, deco. All went to bigger clubs who've won league titles.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
So many underdogs have gone on to win Europe's prestigious competition. Chelsea just proved that yesterday. Stop with that bull****.

Other than Liverpool and Porto, for whom do you refer to? AC/Inter, Real, Barca, Bayern and Man U have never been underdogs.
Reply 1796
Original post by marcusmerehay
These are teams who are/were good enough (by rights) for the Champions League though.

Middlesbrough and Rangers were never good enough for the latter stages of the Europa League.

Of those you've listed Monaco are the only real anomaly as you've got Porto under Mourinho, Valencia under Benitez and a Leverkusen team that contained more than half the German national side (including Neuville, Kirsten and Ramelow).

Villareal had Riquelme and Forlan in their side, while Inter more than speak for themselves.

I've made no secret of how lucky Chelsea have been this season, but they still have players who are good enough.

Well I might also say Monaco under Deschamps had Morientes, Adebayor, Evra, Giuly, Nonda etc who were great/did great things so very similar to the other teams I mentioned if you felt they were inferior.

That kind of result happen in every competion like in the Euros were we had unfancied Greece win it or even Denmark in 1992 who failed to qualify but were lucky to replace wartorn Yugoslavia and ended up winning it.

Even in the world cup we have recently seen Turkey and S Korea in the semis or the Italian veterans undeservedly winning it in 2006. Lowly Zambia won the African cup of nations recently when everybody expected Ivory Coast or Ghana to do it. Those freak results' occurrence are not limited to the Europa league.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1797
Original post by jam277
Inter were the best team in 2010, please do not bull**** me.
Beat chelsea with ease who were probably the main contenders bar barcelona that year and won the double.
Only struggled in one match against barcelona at the nou camp.
Any team that's in the final deserves to be there. Look at leverkusen in 2002, berbatov, butt, ballack, they've all gone to bigger clubs. Look at porto, carvalho, ferreira, bosingwa, deco. All went to bigger clubs who've won league titles.

From what I remember of Mourinho's Inter they did not develop any good football against Bayern or Barcelona in both legs. They all defended like hell proceeded by counter attack with a clinical Milito infront. Their ball possession against Bayern in the final was below 33%.
They played played a tactical but unattractive football that won them the competition so kuddos to them. But they were not the best team in europe and were in a similar situation as Chelsea is today.
Original post by Axion
In all fairness as a tottenham supporter, so what if bale & modric both go?

We'll get the £40m for modric (probably) and about the same for bale I would guess. (equally good players)

Then Levy can work his magic and we can get in excellent replacements like we have done over the years for a fraction of the price.

Levy is a legend at turning transfer profits (e.g. berbatov). Everyone was saying how spurs would crumble when berbatov left but he we are again, bouncing back.

How many times has Levy turned transfer profits? If I remember correctly, last summer was the only time you made a profit regarding transfers over a season since Levy's rein.
Original post by Axion
Tell me you are joking.

Well, he's not wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest