The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A - PHYA5 (18/06/12) - Exam thread

Couldn't see a thread for PHYA5 June 12 exam so here we go. Share any revision tips or talk about anything to do with the exam really!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dreading this one! Im gonna be doing the Unit 5C exam - oh the joys of further mechanics... can't wait for it to be done now, I'm all physic'ed out for this year now!
Just had a Nuclear physics and turning points mock. Nuclear stuff was okay but turning points went so bad. I t has to be said I havent done any revision for it yet. Been too busy with other exams.
Reply 3
Does anyone have any idea about what the 6 mark question could be? There have been questions on thermal nuclear reactors and ideal gases in past papers, so maybe something on radioactivity?
Original post by icedragon
Couldn't see a thread for PHYA5 June 12 exam so here we go. Share any revision tips or talk about anything to do with the exam really!

I created a Mediafire folder with all the past papers and mark schemes for PHYA5. Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5wtss1w13uvko

There's also PHYA4 stuff and the Data Sheet if you need it!

It says you have to upgrade to MediaPro to download the Unit 5 folder. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by NoFunnyBusiness
It says you have to upgrade to MediaPro to download the Unit 5 folder. :frown:

To download the whole folder you need a pro account. If you just click on the folder and download what files you need you can do that without one. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by emberfire
Dreading this one! Im gonna be doing the Unit 5C exam - oh the joys of further mechanics... can't wait for it to be done now, I'm all physic'ed out for this year now!

I'm doing 5A and am a bit worried as there are only 2 past papers to practice on. Haven't really done any revision for unit 5 yet so need to get cracking.
Reply 7
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could please help me with a question I am stuck on?
It is the June 2011 paper, question 4c. Basically it talks about this heater in an insulated pot used to heat up some water from -14 degrees to 40 degrees. Then at the end it asks whether the final temperature water would have been higher or lower than 40 degrees if the pot was not insulated and the temperature of the room was 25 degrees.
I thought that surely the temperature would be lower, because although the water would heat up quicker to begin with, because of energy transfer from the surroundings to the water as well as from the heater to the water, beyond 25 degrees there would be energy transfer from the water to surroundings, and heater to surroundings. But according to the mark scheme the final temperature should be higher.
I would be really grateful if anyone would explain to me WHY?

Thanks!
Alex
Reply 8
Doing turning points in physics, need to write up some notes for it soon :s-smilie:
Reply 9
is anyone doing the applied physics option and know any good resources? i have two revision guides and neither of them cover the applied physics option despite covering all the other options!
Reply 10
Original post by schizopear
is anyone doing the applied physics option and know any good resources? i have two revision guides and neither of them cover the applied physics option despite covering all the other options!

ive just ordered the cgp aqa physics a one, its quite basic but its good for using as revision and getting key points
Reply 11
Original post by number23
ive just ordered the cgp aqa physics a one, its quite basic but its good for using as revision and getting key points

it doesn't cover the applied physics module though... :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by timlewis101
Just had a Nuclear physics and turning points mock. Nuclear stuff was okay but turning points went so bad. I t has to be said I havent done any revision for it yet. Been too busy with other exams.

do you have the nelson thomas book?.. im struggling on the electron questions 1.3
Reply 13
Anyone doing Turning points!!! How r u finding it????
Original post by 07howesale
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could please help me with a question I am stuck on?
It is the June 2011 paper, question 4c. Basically it talks about this heater in an insulated pot used to heat up some water from -14 degrees to 40 degrees. Then at the end it asks whether the final temperature water would have been higher or lower than 40 degrees if the pot was not insulated and the temperature of the room was 25 degrees.
I thought that surely the temperature would be lower, because although the water would heat up quicker to begin with, because of energy transfer from the surroundings to the water as well as from the heater to the water, beyond 25 degrees there would be energy transfer from the water to surroundings, and heater to surroundings. But according to the mark scheme the final temperature should be higher.
I would be really grateful if anyone would explain to me WHY?

Thanks!
Alex

Hi, I had this question on my mock and also had trouble understanding the answer in the mark scheme. when I asked my teacher, she said the reason it is
that it spends the majority of the time ( can be calculated from the previous parts to the question) spent being heated the water was below the room temperate, 25C. your argument was the exact one I used and still dont understand why it is wrong :/

If anyone can help would be apreciated, basics of the question is:

4) An electrical heater is placed in an insulated container holding 100 g of ice at a temperature of –14C. The heater supplies energy at a rate of 98 joules per second.
4a) After an interval of 30 s, all the ice has reached a temperature of 0C.
Calculate the specific heat capacity of ice.

4b)Show that the final temperature of the water formed when the heater is left on for a further 500 s is about 40C.
specific heat capacity of water = 4200 J kg–1K–1
specific latent heat of fusion of water = 3.3 × 105J kg–1

4c) The whole procedure is repeated in an uninsulated container in a room at a
temperature of 25C. State and explain whether the final temperature of the water formed would be higher or lower than that calculated
for people doing astrophysics section, I have the online textbook for the 3 chapters of cosmology, telescopes and surveying the stars. these cover everything, its basically an unprinted textbook for astrophysics (:
Reply 17
Original post by davey.gravey
Hi, I had this question on my mock and also had trouble understanding the answer in the mark scheme. when I asked my teacher, she said the reason it is
that it spends the majority of the time ( can be calculated from the previous parts to the question) spent being heated the water was below the room temperate, 25C. your argument was the exact one I used and still dont understand why it is wrong :/

If anyone can help would be apreciated, basics of the question is:

4) An electrical heater is placed in an insulated container holding 100 g of ice at a temperature of –14C. The heater supplies energy at a rate of 98 joules per second.
4a) After an interval of 30 s, all the ice has reached a temperature of 0C.
Calculate the specific heat capacity of ice.

4b)Show that the final temperature of the water formed when the heater is left on for a further 500 s is about 40C.
specific heat capacity of water = 4200 J kg–1K–1
specific latent heat of fusion of water = 3.3 × 105J kg–1

4c) The whole procedure is repeated in an uninsulated container in a room at a
temperature of 25C. State and explain whether the final temperature of the water formed would be higher or lower than that calculated

It's a bit of a dodgy question but the basic thing is that as the container is uninsulated, therefore heat transfer will happen a lot quicker (between container and room). As the room (25) is significantly hotter than the container (-14), thermal energy will be transferred to the container from the room (as well as the heater) hence increasing its temperature from -14 more rapidly than when it was insulated. (that's what the mark scheme wants)

However when the temperature of the container reaches 25 degrees there is nothing stopping heat from the container being transferred to the surroundings as no insulation is present. You could then argue that (depending on the size of the room) the container will struggle to rise above 25 degrees as any thermal energy gained from the heater is simply transferred again to the surroundings.
(not mentioned in mark scheme) :/
Reply 18
Original post by davey.gravey
for people doing astrophysics section, I have the online textbook for the 3 chapters of cosmology, telescopes and surveying the stars. these cover everything, its basically an unprinted textbook for astrophysics (:

Care to share with me ? :tongue:
Reply 19

thanks, how are you finding it?

Quick Reply

Latest