The Student Room Group

The London Underground: Love It or Hate It?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Birdman1234567
Russel square tube station :angry:

whats wrong with that station :s-smilie:
Reply 81
Original post by internet tough guy
I've always loved it, but after having been to other parts of the country (brimingham, manchester, etc) where the public transport is nowhere near as good, I've grown to really respect the London Underground and transport in general even more. My only gripe is the fact that the prices are so much higher in comparison to other major cities in the world.

Well London has always had vastly more spent on its public transport per head than other regions of the UK - that trend is getting worse, not better, with Crossrail and the vast expenditures for the Olympic$.

Public transport elsewhere in Britain desperately needs more investment - it's just terrible in Birmingham and in Manchester, despite the small number of tramlines, it's pretty dismal most of the time. Ditto smaller regional centres like Nottingham, Leicester, Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds etc.

I think we need some kind of referendum in Britain about moving money away from London.
Reply 82
Original post by simonbellringer
Oh and there is a WOODEN ESCALATOR at one of the Sydney stations and in the Brussels underground station; something London Underground doesnt have anymore after Kings Cross 1987!!

I take it you haven't been to Greenford station then :ahee: Original wooden escalators still there.

Original post by Pandabär
But I dislike when it's packed and they close the gates down to the station, when my oyster cards decide not to work (yes I have several :tongue:), when people squeeze themselves in leaving their rucksack trapped in the door, when people eat stinky food, and in the summer when it's boiling and you're standing for ages (makes me feel ill). .

If your oyster isn't working take it to a ticket office, they'll replace it for free and you'll get back the money you had on it.
Reply 83
I love it! Especially in the winter when it's all nice and warm :smile:
Reply 84
I love it, but then I don't live in London and have to use it everyday....
Reply 85
I don't commute on it but when I've been to London it's been really bloody useful.
Original post by moregano
I take it you haven't been to Greenford station then :ahee: Original wooden escalators still there.

If your oyster isn't working take it to a ticket office, they'll replace it for free and you'll get back the money you had on it.

Been through Greenford many a time - when we stay in London we use a friend's house about 5 minutes from Northolt station - but have never had any reason to get off there. Love the art-deco building near there too, even if it is only a Tesco!! :wink: Only found out about Greenford earlier by chance (when googling the Kings Cross Fire to answer another question in this very pool no less!!) :ahee:
Depends what line it is. I'm fine with the ones that go slightly underground and then 'come up for air' so to speak but I hate going on the ones that are all deep underground in fact they're so underground there are signs on the stairs saying "only use in emergency" because there are too many stairs you risk a heart attack or something by using them. That's just scary.:redface:

Thankfully, I only really have to use the overground or district line which is quite nice you can sit and watch the world go by or sniff armpit hair depending on the time of day.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by neom
Depends what the line is, victoria line is amazing and comes every single minute to a 50 seconds during rush hour. They also got new trains so there's more space

I hate all the rest during rush hour >:|

New Vic Line trains are just ugh - no character whatsoever!! Bring back the 1967 stock!! However, times change, and I am an old fuddy-duddy at times; I take after my dad!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simon-bellringer/7202072068/in/photostream
Reply 89
I like it when it's not rush hour, but hate it when it is. London would be ****ed without it though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can't believe how many people say they love it. They clearly aren't frequent users of the tube in peak hours for normally people going and coming back from work (which is when most people use the tube).

It's incredibly crowded, you often can't get a seat. The general cleanliness of the floors is poor, and people are shoving and pushing so to cram everyone on the tube. You cling on to one of those holder things in the air, or a pole somewhere, hoping you don't fall down.

It's not a "pleasant experience" at all.

It may be quicker getting around London via the tube, which is why so many take it, but it's not an "enjoyable experience". If I could walk or even the bus took a similar amount of time I'd take that. But it doesn't.
Reply 91
Original post by simonbellringer
Been through Greenford many a time - when we stay in London we use a friend's house about 5 minutes from Northolt station - but have never had any reason to get off there. Love the art-deco building near there too, even if it is only a Tesco!! :wink: Only found out about Greenford earlier by chance (when googling the Kings Cross Fire to answer another question in this very pool no less!!) :ahee:

Ah the tesco, it's built in front of the hoover building which is why it's so pretty. It's a listed building so tesco were only allowed to build there on the condition that they built it in the same style.
I think it is a beautiful and iconic part of London. It is an excellent way to travel if used correctly. The introduction of the oyster card made it even better.
I think the London Underground Song sums up my feelings towards it (can't post it here because of all the swearing :tongue:)
I quite like it,I like the busyness and how effective it is for getting around.I don't live in London,but when I've been in cities that I use their underground I do like them,unless it's really smelly for some reason or I'm taking a longer journey and there is nowhere to stand or sit comfortably.
Reply 95
Original post by Beebumble
Depends what line it is. I'm fine with the ones that go slightly underground and then 'come up for air' so to speak but I hate going on the ones that are all deep underground in fact they're so underground there are signs on the stairs saying "only use in emergency" because there are too many stairs you risk a heart attack or something by using them. That's just scary.:redface:

I like those! I love the District line down towards Putney, it just feels posher on that train, haha. The Central Line at rush hour has its attractions as well though, just the sheer excitement of being swept along in huge crowds and the slightest problem causing mad chaotic scenes. It's Babylon sometimes down there!
Original post by LemonLizards
Can't believe how many people say they love it. They clearly aren't frequent users of the tube in peak hours for normally people going and coming back from work (which is when most people use the tube).

It's incredibly crowded, you often can't get a seat. The general cleanliness of the floors is poor, and people are shoving and pushing so to cram everyone on the tube. You cling on to one of those holder things in the air, or a pole somewhere, hoping you don't fall down.

It's not a "pleasant experience" at all.

It may be quicker getting around London via the tube, which is why so many take it, but it's not an "enjoyable experience". If I could walk or even the bus took a similar amount of time I'd take that. But it doesn't.

If you read my original post you would ssee that I clearly state that I would not want to use it every day!! I can very wello see and understand why a lot of people hate it - I have used it at rush hour before and it is unpleasant - but because of its success, it is outgrowing itself; it upgrades, more people use it, it has to upgrade again, and there is only so much upgrading it can do!!

And the bit in bold is going to be the same in any rush hour in any city on any bus or train. Yes it is unpleasant, but I'm sorry, that's life; get over it!!
Original post by zara55
I like those! I love the District line down towards Putney, it just feels posher on that train, haha. The Central Line at rush hour has its attractions as well though, just the sheer excitement of being swept along in huge crowds and the slightest problem causing mad chaotic scenes. It's Babylon sometimes down there!

You're mad!! I like you!! :colone:
Reply 98
Love it
Love it.

The non believers can go do one. The tube is old and has been subject to neglect for many years. The tube is currently undergoing a massive refurb which means that we have the problems associated with an out dated system combined with the disruption caused by the work aimed at curing those problems.

I use the tube almost every weekday at rush hour (except Tuesdays when I go home later.) Of course it is busy. The answer is to leave home in plenty of time and just relax. Miss a couple of trains and wait for a less crowded one.

It is a brilliant system. However I would say that they need to get some more trains on the circle line. Waiting at Tower for ages while countless district line trains pass through is a bit annoying.

Quick Reply

Latest