The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Colonel.
Transformers is obviously 10/10.

obviously.
We all know the real reason Avatar was successful was because Cameron duped the audience into thinking it would be about that bald guy from the anime series.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
We all know the real reason Avatar was successful was because Cameron duped the audience into thinking it would be about that bald guy from the anime series.

M. Night Shymalamalan did the same thing.
Reply 6383
Original post by PoGo HoPz
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33999

That's good to know. I do hope Clive Owen will be returning to it as well, though. Fingers crossed, eh? :tongue: :crossedf:

Awesome. Can't wait for this.

ooooooooooh.

Looks good!
Original post by Mo-Amin
Jackie Chan has announced he is retiring from action films.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/05/18/jackie-chan-retired-action-movies_n_1527598.html?_r=true

I hope to see the real acting side he speaks of come to light in future works but for now, let's appreciate the legend among men:

awful news.... shame, liked him in like all his stuff
Reply 6387

Doesn't look too bad. :holmes:

That has the feeling of an something monumentally good.
Reply 6391

And that right there is my most anticipated film of the year. Been waiting for further news on it for ages now; thanks for that. :biggrin: :excited:
Original post by Phalanges
That has the feeling of an something monumentally good.

It's certainly the most interesting trailer I've seen in a while, if only because it's unrevealing and very unsettling (probably because of the 'sirs', the music and the simple fact of Joaquin Phoenix). Really looking forward to it though. I keep overlooking Paul Thomas Anderson whenever those 'favourite director' threads keep cropping up and I can't think of a single reason why, because every film he's made from Boogie Nights onwards has been excellent.

Original post by Abiraleft
And that right there is my most anticipated film of the year. Been waiting for further news on it for ages now; thanks for that. :biggrin: :excited:

I'd put it second after Batman, but that's just my fanboy tendencies overriding logic. :colondollar:
Reply 6393
Just watched Corpse Bride.

Enjoyable film. Would be fair to say that it's funnier than The Nightmare Before Christmas, but as a whole I don't think it's as good. Still a solid 7/10 though.
Original post by aja89
Just watched Corpse Bride.

Enjoyable film. Would be fair to say that it's funnier than The Nightmare Before Christmas, but as a whole I don't think it's as good. Still a solid 7/10 though.
I actually enjoyed it more than A Nightmare before Christmas. I don't know why, but it sometimes reminds me of that Wallace and gromit movie, Curse of the Were-Rabbit. :lolwut: Please don't ask me why. :tongue:

It's a really good film though, isn't it? :h:
What happened to the Artemis Fowl film that was supposed to be in adapted as a film? This was back 4 or 5 years ago but I've heard nothing of it since. It has a lot of potential if adapted correctly (ie not another Percy Jackson, Golden Compass or Eragon).
What happened to the Artemis Fowl film that was supposed to be in adapted as a film? This was back 4 or 5 years ago but I've heard nothing of it since. It has a lot of potential if adapted correctly (ie not another Percy Jackson, Golden Compass or Eragon).

I've been reading the books again while my exams have been going on (because I don't like to think too much about other things during periods of stress), and I've been mulling over the idea of them as a film. I love the books (mostly), I think the concept behind them is absolutely brilliant. But it does not work on a visual level. If you show me a twelve-year old bossing around bodyguards and smart-talking everyone and having business meetings and generally being the smartest guy ever, there is no possible way I'm going to buy into that. and there is no possible way a kid would be able to act that role without coming across as either obnoxiously precocious or far too naïve. It just couldn't turn out well.
I've been reading the books again while my exams have been going on (because I don't like to think too much about other things during periods of stress), and I've been mulling over the idea of them as a film. I love the books (mostly), I think the concept behind them is absolutely brilliant. But it does not work on a visual level. If you show me a twelve-year old bossing around bodyguards and smart-talking everyone and having business meetings and generally being the smartest guy ever, there is no possible way I'm going to buy into that. and there is no possible way a kid would be able to act that role without coming across as either obnoxiously precocious or far too naïve. It just couldn't turn out well.

They could bump up the age to 16 or 17. I'm alright with that as a big fan of the books and could buy into it. There's no prevailing reason to keep him that young. Even a Jesse Eisenberg type character from the Social Network could have worked at that character age.
They could bump up the age to 16 or 17. I'm alright with that as a big fan of the books and could buy into it. There's no prevailing reason to keep him that young. Even a Jesse Eisenberg type character from the Social Network could have worked at that character age.

But in my mind the age is key. He's still young enough to believe in fairies and magic, and his young age puts the situations into sharp relief that provides a lot of the humour and also means that his enemies consistently underestimate him. Once you start cranking up the years, you lose a lot of that.
But in my mind the age is key. He's still young enough to believe in fairies and magic, and his young age puts the situations into sharp relief that provides a lot of the humour and also means that his enemies consistently underestimate him. Once you start cranking up the years, you lose a lot of that.

I think your latter point about him being underestimated because of his age is a good point. In the Alex Rider books, Anthony Horowitz set Alex's age at 14 when the British intelligence began sending him undercover under the reasoning that no one would suspect a kid, and they would underestimate him. And he began to lose that strength of his character as the books/years went by.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending