The Student Room Group

Greek Art and Architecture OCR A2 Classical Civilisation

hi,

I'm taking the OCR A2 Art and Architecture paper for Classical Civilisation on 29th May and I'm really starting to panic about it!!

i was just wondering how people are going about revising for it and if there is a specific way that you need to answer the questions??

thank you!!
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heya. :smile: Same here, the sheer amount of things we have to know is a little worrying. D:
I've found that for learning the basics about the art- so names, dates, painters, etc- cue cards are really good. Also, for the temples I've found it helpful to draw out the ground plans from memory so I can recognise them if they appear.
As for the more detailed stuff like analysis: I make sure I have a basic 'run through' system for the commentary questions. So for things like sculptures I just analyse it from head to toe, if that makes sense. :smile: Then I also annotate images/take notes on important points.
The section I'm finding really hard to revise for is Sanctuaries- really hope it either doesn't appear, or I can do the other question!
As for answering questions, we've been told to just make sure to use lots of 'artistic language' and describe the artwork in relation to the question- so if the question was on conflict, you sort of say how aspects of the artwork make it appear violent/realistic depiction of war/etc. And then just the usual stuff like making sure to compare artwork (if applicable to the question), putting in dates and periods for AO1 marks and so on. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Gobble11
hi,

I'm taking the OCR A2 Art and Architecture paper for Classical Civilisation on 29th May and I'm really starting to panic about it!!

i was just wondering how people are going about revising for it and if there is a specific way that you need to answer the questions??

thank you!!
:smile:

Original post by LizAnn
Heya. :smile: Same here, the sheer amount of things we have to know is a little worrying. D:
I've found that for learning the basics about the art- so names, dates, painters, etc- cue cards are really good. Also, for the temples I've found it helpful to draw out the ground plans from memory so I can recognise them if they appear.
As for the more detailed stuff like analysis: I make sure I have a basic 'run through' system for the commentary questions. So for things like sculptures I just analyse it from head to toe, if that makes sense. :smile: Then I also annotate images/take notes on important points.
The section I'm finding really hard to revise for is Sanctuaries- really hope it either doesn't appear, or I can do the other question!
As for answering questions, we've been told to just make sure to use lots of 'artistic language' and describe the artwork in relation to the question- so if the question was on conflict, you sort of say how aspects of the artwork make it appear violent/realistic depiction of war/etc. And then just the usual stuff like making sure to compare artwork (if applicable to the question), putting in dates and periods for AO1 marks and so on. :smile:

Hey,

I'm also doing the exam :smile: I find reading the green book by S. Woodford helps a lot! I'm worried about the sanctuaries too, is it me or is there not that much to write about them? Especially if they come up on the 50 marker :afraid: (hopefully the second option will be a better alternative!)

Pretty sure we don't need to memorise dates either, as they took it out of the specification, so don't bother with that. You just need to be able to put them in the correct period I think.

Spoiler

Edit: what kind of language is "artistic language"? :s-smilie: any words that we need to know in particular?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MyselfEtAl
Hey,

I'm also doing the exam :smile: I find reading the green book by S. Woodford helps a lot! I'm worried about the sanctuaries too, is it me or is there not that much to write about them? Especially if they come up on the 50 marker :afraid: (hopefully the second option will be a better alternative!)

Pretty sure we don't need to memorise dates either, as they took it out of the specification, so don't bother with that. You just need to be able to put them in the correct period I think.

Spoiler

Edit: what kind of language is "artistic language"? :s-smilie: any words that we need to know in particular?

yes that book is great!! i find the other book on the architecture not very accessible though. I think that's why i struggle with the architecture side of the course. i think the good thing about the exam though is that there is so much choice so you wouldn't necessarily have to answer a question on sanctuaries :wink:

oh yeah i wasn't sure about the dates either! It probably helps but i doubt they would mark you down for it if you didn't put it in?

I think by artistic language they mean things like 'motion lines' and 'foreshortening' and other terms like that :smile:

do any of you know if you have to compare different pieces of art in the exam? i mean obviously if the question calls for it but i mean more in the essay questions, for example would you need to write stuff like 'sculpture A can be seen in this way. this is contrasted to sculpture B which shows this but similarly seen in sculpture C which shows this' (hope that makes sense! haha)
Reply 4
thank you both for the help by the way!! :smile:
Reply 5
yes that book is great!! i find the other book on the architecture not very accessible though. I think that's why i struggle with the architecture side of the course. i think the good thing about the exam though is that there is so much choice so you wouldn't necessarily have to answer a question on sanctuaries :wink:

oh yeah i wasn't sure about the dates either! It probably helps but i doubt they would mark you down for it if you didn't put it in?

I think by artistic language they mean things like 'motion lines' and 'foreshortening' and other terms like that :smile:

do any of you know if you have to compare different pieces of art in the exam? i mean obviously if the question calls for it but i mean more in the essay questions, for example would you need to write stuff like 'sculpture A can be seen in this way. this is contrasted to sculpture B which shows this but similarly seen in sculpture C which shows this' (hope that makes sense! haha)

I know, I like Vases and Statues, Sanctuaries are do-able, but I doubt I'd pick a question on them over the others. Really not liking the whole archaic pedimental/frieze sculpture thing either :/

I don't think they'd mark you down, but if you're gonna cram them all before the exam I'd say don't, because there's so many other things to revise! :tongue:

I don't think you need to compare artwork unless the question calls for it, on the (b) questions they sometimes write "include other vases you have learnt in this period" which is when comparison is necessary. :smile:
Reply 6
thank you both for the help by the way!! :smile:

No problem :h:
Reply 7
I'm freaking out too, I find flash cards help a lot with memorising places and artists. Does anyone have any idea what topic may come up or any possible questions? I'm holding out for an architectural sculpture question myself so fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by spease
I'm freaking out too, I find flash cards help a lot with memorising places and artists. Does anyone have any idea what topic may come up or any possible questions? I'm holding out for an architectural sculpture question myself so fingers crossed! :smile:

Nooooooooo not sculpture! :tongue: I wouldn't mind one on Metopes, but anything on Pediments and I may as well kill myself in the exam :lol:

Ah, it's so hard to predict what the questions will be on, mainly because there's so many options, so if you don't like one, you could always do the alternative :dontknow:

What about yourself? Got any ideas?

Also, what's everyone else doing for the other module? I'm doing Virgil and the Iliad. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
God, panic is setting in with art and architecture... how precise do we have to be with the dates? a few have mentioned not having to be that precise, though my teacher seems to think we have to be.

I'm steering clear of temples and sanctuaries personally!

Any other good revision tips, i've made cards...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by woodyfry
God, panic is setting in with art and architecture... how precise do we have to be with the dates? a few have mentioned not having to be that precise, though my teacher seems to think we have to be.

I'm steering clear of temples and sanctuaries personally!

Any other good revision tips, i've made cards...

Sorry OP, I feel like I'm hijacking your thread a little :tongue:

We do not need to know precise dates, people complained to OCR which is why they took it out of the specification. Take a look at the new specification on the OCR website - all the dates you need to know are on there.

In short; you need to be able to categorise the vases/statues into periods and know which century they're from (7/6/5/4th Century BC).

I think the general consensus on this thread is that we all hate temples and sanctuaries :lol:
Reply 11

Also, what's everyone else doing for the other module? I'm doing Virgil and the Iliad. :smile:

I'm doing that too! literally have no idea where to start with revision for that one!! :confused:

Original post by spease
Does anyone have any idea what topic may come up or any possible questions? I'm holding out for an architectural sculpture question myself so fingers crossed! :smile:

From looking at past exams i think that all four topics come up. but the ones that come up for part A wont come up for part B :smile:
Reply 12
I'm doing that too! literally have no idea where to start with revision for that one!! :confused:

I know! I think Virgil is gonna be worse than Art & Arch. It's so subjective, and you never know if you're writing the right thing :s-smilie: I'm praying for a really high mark in A&A to compensate for any marks lost in the Virgil bit :/

Also, how are we supposed to look at the role of the gods in the Iliad if we barely see them? There's like 4 'books' of the Iliad we have to read according to the spec - how can we base an entire opinion on those! :angry: OCR :frown:

Reply 13
I just printed out a past paper from january 2008 and noticed that one of the section A q's was on vases, but also, one of the section b q's was too. i was wondering if anyone knows whether answering both questions on vases would result in a deduction of points/ should i avoid doing that?
thanks
Reply 14
Original post by woodyfry
I just printed out a past paper from january 2008 and noticed that one of the section A q's was on vases, but also, one of the section b q's was too. i was wondering if anyone knows whether answering both questions on vases would result in a deduction of points/ should i avoid doing that?
thanks

The Jan 2008 paper was from the legacy specification when Vases and Sculpture were on two separate papers, so the essay and context questions on that paper you looked at were both vase related as it was a vases and temple paper; the exam we're sitting will (probably!) not repeat topics as we have four questions (two commentary, two essay) and four topics which they can be set. On the other hand, if in the unlikely chance that the board were to set a commentary and essay on the same topic area, there would be nothing stopping you answer both questions.

yes that book is great!! i find the other book on the architecture not very accessible though. I think that's why i struggle with the architecture side of the course.

I think I must be the only person here who likes temples and wants a decent essay on them...! If you're referring to the small green / blue book by Tomlinson, I agree that it's quite dry, and has been nick-named in our school (by our teacher!) as the 'most boring book in the world'!
...I've just finished my AS Classics, but this...is by far... The HARDEST Classic Civ exam (compared to Greek Tragedy, Odyssey and Iliad/Aenid). I just read Woodford (for entire unit) and Emmerson (sanctuary). I'm doing this whole thing in 1 year.

...I've been memorizing the painter's names, techniques, dates, etc. (along w/ sculptures...there's only like 4 sanctuaries we need to know)
...in general, I found that Q1 is ALWAYS about vases... Except that we either analyse 1, or compare 2. Q2 is either sculpture/sanctuary.
...here's the kicker, Section B could be ANYTHING! (based on the unit)

(btw, this was based on the ONLY past papers for this unit...under the new spec)

...so, does anyone have any predictions of what can appear?
...also, if a sanctuary question pops out...can you draw diagrams?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Personally I think sanctuaries is good for the context question but only for part a). It might be good because the question of whether the parthenon or zeus at olympia always comes up. I found the Mary Emerson book really helpful for learning the temples and sancturies. It has less opinions in it than Woodfood so it is easier to read and it's better organised in chapters. I don't like the way Woodfood puts both pots and sculptures in the same chapters, I find it confusion. Good luck for Tuesday
Reply 17
Original post by efagel
Personally I think sanctuaries is good for the context question but only for part a). It might be good because the question of whether the parthenon or zeus at olympia always comes up. I found the Mary Emerson book really helpful for learning the temples and sancturies. It has less opinions in it than Woodfood so it is easier to read and it's better organised in chapters. I don't like the way Woodfood puts both pots and sculptures in the same chapters, I find it confusion. Good luck for Tuesday

Agreed, I think sanctuaries would be ok for a context question. I'd love a question on Zeus at Olympia or the Parthenon but they seem like very "nice" questions (because there's loads to write)/they seem quite obvious, which is why i think one of the smaller temples may come up. Who knows though :dontknow:

Good luck to you too :h:

Original post by BLu_REdEmTiON

...so, does anyone have any predictions of what can appear?
...also, if a sanctuary question pops out...can you draw diagrams?

I was considering doing this, but then I thought it would be a waste of time? What would you draw? The sanctuary and all it's buildings? Isn't that going to take forever? You dont ge marks for the diagrams anyway, they're just there to "facilitate" your explanations..? Not sure.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
I know! I think Virgil is gonna be worse than Art & Arch. It's so subjective, and you never know if you're writing the right thing :s-smilie: I'm praying for a really high mark in A&A to compensate for any marks lost in the Virgil bit :/

Also, how are we supposed to look at the role of the gods in the Iliad if we barely see them? There's like 4 'books' of the Iliad we have to read according to the spec - how can we base an entire opinion on those! :angry: OCR :frown:

I'm hoping to do the same!! I think this one is easier to do well in there is just a lot to learn! We're lucky though because we have nearly two weeks between each exam so hopefully there shouldn't be any excuse not to do well! haha

and yeah! the illiad bit seems a bit pointless to me! it probably would have been better to just do the whole of the Aeneid! From what I've seen on past papers, it looks like the Illiad only comes up on one of the two essay questions. is that right? or can it come up in section A aswell?

Original post by BLu_REdEmTiON
...I've just finished my AS Classics, but this...is by far... The HARDEST Classic Civ exam (compared to Greek Tragedy, Odyssey and Iliad/Aenid). I just read Woodford (for entire unit) and Emmerson (sanctuary). I'm doing this whole thing in 1 year.

I'm doing the whole thing in one year aswell!! haha. it's hard work!
maaan this thread is making my nervous lol
i hope theres an essay question about development of free standing sculpture lol or the acropolis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending