The Student Room Group

Whats the difference between lasix, amlodipine and losartan

Just in case , first of all - no one please rely on info in this thread - this is the internet not a scientific journal.

Anyways,
I work as a clerk in a hospital and am exposed to some medical related stuff. Its interesting for me too. I even read medical books often. Sometimes questions like these pop out of nowhere when I'm at home.

Whats the difference between lasix, amlodipine and losartan?
I know these meds are given for HTN ( am I right? ) .
Original post by antonfigo
Just in case , first of all - no one please rely on info in this thread - this is the internet not a scientific journal.

Anyways,
I work as a clerk in a hospital and am exposed to some medical related stuff. Its interesting for me too. I even read medical books often. Sometimes questions like these pop out of nowhere when I'm at home.

Levothyroxine sodium has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is used in hypothyroidism, thyroid diseases, thyroid function tests, hyperthyroidism, chronic thyroiditis, primary hypothyroidism.

Losartan has active ingredients of losartan potassium. It is used in high blood pressure, blood pressure management, essential hypertension, triglyceride level, blood triglycerides abnormal, blood cholesterol abnormal.

Furosemide has active ingredients of furosemide. It is used in fluid retention, swelling, blood pressure systolic abnormal, high blood pressure, heart failure, foot, leg, and ankle swelling.

Amlodipine besylate has active ingredients of amlodipine besylate. It is used in high blood pressure, blood pressure management, essential hypertension, triglyceride level, blood cholesterol abnormal, blood triglycerides abnormal.

Metoprolol tartrate has active ingredients of metoprolol tartrate. It is used in high blood pressure, blood pressure management, heart rate irregular, atrial fibrillation/flutter, tachycardia, heart rate increased.

Pravastatin sodium has active ingredients of pravastatin sodium. It is used in hdl, triglyceride level, blood cholesterol abnormal, blood triglycerides abnormal, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure.

Potassium chloride 10meq in dextrose 5% and sodium chloride 0.45% in plastic container has active ingredients of dextrose; potassium chloride; sodium chloride. It is used in hypokalemia.

Omeprazole has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is used in gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastric ulcer, stomach acid test, uric acid, indigestion, reflux gastritis.

Novolog mix 70/30 has active ingredients of insulin aspart protamine recombinant; insulin aspart recombinant. It is used in diabetes, glucose test.

Lantus has active ingredients of insulin glargine recombinant. It is used in diabetes, glucose test, type 1 diabetes mellitus , type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, diabetes mellitus inadequate control.

This study will help :smile:
http://www.ehealthme.com/Levothyroxine-Sodium-Losartan-Furosemide-Amlodipine-Besylate-3641968
Reply 2
Original post by antonfigo

Anyways,

Lasix is a trade name for a drug called furosemide which is a loop diuretic. It works on the loops of Henle in the kidney and poisons them essentially, so you pee loads. It isn't really used for the treatment of hypertension.

Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker, works to relax the smooth muscle in arterioles and lower BP.

Losartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker which stops the action of this drug which works to raise blood pressure

There are guidelines for the control of blood pressure, google them if you want further info.
Reply 3
Original post by blueray
Levothyroxine sodium has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is used in hypothyroidism, thyroid diseases, thyroid function tests, hyperthyroidism, chronic thyroiditis, primary hypothyroidism.

Losartan has active ingredients of losartan potassium. It is used in high blood pressure, blood pressure management, essential hypertension, triglyceride level, blood triglycerides abnormal, blood cholesterol abnormal.

Furosemide has active ingredients of furosemide. It is used in fluid retention, swelling, blood pressure systolic abnormal, high blood pressure, heart failure, foot, leg, and ankle swelling.

Amlodipine besylate has active ingredients of amlodipine besylate. It is used in high blood pressure, blood pressure management, essential hypertension, triglyceride level, blood cholesterol abnormal, blood triglycerides abnormal.

Metoprolol tartrate has active ingredients of metoprolol tartrate. It is used in high blood pressure, blood pressure management, heart rate irregular, atrial fibrillation/flutter, tachycardia, heart rate increased.

Pravastatin sodium has active ingredients of pravastatin sodium. It is used in hdl, triglyceride level, blood cholesterol abnormal, blood triglycerides abnormal, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure.

Potassium chloride 10meq in dextrose 5% and sodium chloride 0.45% in plastic container has active ingredients of dextrose; potassium chloride; sodium chloride. It is used in hypokalemia.

Omeprazole has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is used in gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastric ulcer, stomach acid test, uric acid, indigestion, reflux gastritis.

Novolog mix 70/30 has active ingredients of insulin aspart protamine recombinant; insulin aspart recombinant. It is used in diabetes, glucose test.

Lantus has active ingredients of insulin glargine recombinant. It is used in diabetes, glucose test, type 1 diabetes mellitus , type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, diabetes mellitus inadequate control.

This study will help :smile:
http://www.ehealthme.com/Levothyroxine-Sodium-Losartan-Furosemide-Amlodipine-Besylate-3641968

What on earth?
Original post by Helenia
What on earth?

What didn't you understand about it? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by blueray
What didn't you understand about it? :smile:

Erm, why you posted it?
Original post by Helenia
Erm, why you posted it?

Why wouldn't it?
Reply 7
Original post by blueray
Why wouldn't it?

Because it's just a copy-pasted summary from an article, which includes loads of drugs which are totally irrelevant to the original question. It doesn't show any understanding of what was actually asked and what the different drugs do/why they work together.
Reply 8
Original post by digitalis
Lasix is a trade name for a drug called furosemide which is a loop diuretic. It works on the loops of Henle in the kidney and poisons them essentially, so you pee loads. It isn't really used for the treatment of hypertension.

Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker, works to relax the smooth muscle in arterioles and lower BP.

Losartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker which stops the action of this drug which works to raise blood pressure

There are guidelines for the control of blood pressure, google them if you want further info.

Original post by Helenia
Because it's just a copy-pasted summary from an article, which includes loads of drugs which are totally irrelevant to the original question. It doesn't show any understanding of what was actually asked and what the different drugs do/why they work together.

I knew he would be given the answer he was looking for.
The idea is that he can do further study on the topic.

Quick Reply

Latest