The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for A&F at LSE?

GCSEs: 1.5A*'s, 5A's, 3B's

What I'll probably get at A2: AAA (Biology, Chemistry, Economics, might be able to pull an A* in economics if I'm lucky)

AS: A "C" in physics, and a B/A in my EPQ (which was not A&F related).

What sort of work experience and other extras would I have to undertake (I have a bit of extra curricular stuff like debating, cricket and rugby team).

Would I hold a chance. I don't have maths at A-Level.
Reply 1
Original post by . .
GCSEs: 1.5A*'s, 5A's, 3B's

What I'll probably get at A2: AAA (Biology, Chemistry, Economics, might be able to pull an A* in economics if I'm lucky)

AS: A "C" in physics, and a B/A in my EPQ (which was not A&F related).

What sort of work experience and other extras would I have to undertake (I have a bit of extra curricular stuff like debating, cricket and rugby team).

Would I hold a chance. I don't have maths at A-Level.

Being honest, it would be hard for you to get in for A&F. First of all LSE is known for being picky about GCSE grades and usually require mainly A*'s and A's. Things right now are really competitive. Don't let this change you mind about applying, some people don't realise the power of a really good personal statement.

Also, LSE is a great uni, but there are a lot of other places that are good for A&F. Couple of tips, look at the E&Y program linked to Lancaster Uni. I really had my heart set on LSE but ended up at UCL. Couldn't be happier.

Good luck with you uni applications.
Reply 2
Original post by student222
Being honest, it would be hard for you to get in for A&F. First of all LSE is known for being picky about GCSE grades and usually require mainly A*'s and A's. Things right now are really competitive. Don't let this change you mind about applying, some people don't realise the power of a really good personal statement.

Also, LSE is a great uni, but there are a lot of other places that are good for A&F. Couple of tips, look at the E&Y program linked to Lancaster Uni. I really had my heart set on LSE but ended up at UCL. Couldn't be happier.

Good luck with you uni applications.

Ok. What sort of stuff would have to be in my personal statement in order to make it a really good personal statement? Amd what are you studying at UCL?
Reply 3
Original post by . .
Ok. What sort of stuff would have to be in my personal statement in order to make it a really good personal statement? Amd what are you studying at UCL?

No one really has the answer to that. You need to make yours stand out for all the right reasons. Dont afraid to be different and step outside of the normal PS guidance layouts.
Are you resitting a year?
Reply 5
Original post by y.yousef
Are you resitting a year?

No. Why?
Original post by . .
No. Why?

Just asking :tongue: What other places have you applied to?
Reply 7
Just asking :tongue: What other places have you applied to?

I haven't applied to A&F this year. I'm contemplating whether to apply after my gap year this year (well after my A2 exams I will be taking a gap year).
Original post by . .
I haven't applied to A&F this year. I'm contemplating whether to apply after my gap year this year (well after my A2 exams I will be taking a gap year).

Why are you taking a gap year?
Reply 9
Why are you taking a gap year?

Well I applied to medicine this year. Didn't get in. Realised that since the beginning of sixth form I was so focussed on medicine organising work experience and such I didn't give studying anything else much thought. So I want to gain some experience in various fields and maybe apply elsewhere.
Original post by . .
Well I applied to medicine this year. Didn't get in. Realised that since the beginning of sixth form I was so focussed on medicine organising work experience and such I didn't give studying anything else much thought. So I want to gain some experience in various fields and maybe apply elsewhere.

Why did you want to do medicine so much? Many choose this field due to the pay. Well it seems like you're doing the exact same thing with economics now, just concentrating on that and nothing else. Keep your options open. Always be content with your Plan B and Plan C. If you're striving towards one goal constantly, how do you think you'll feel when you don't get it?
Reply 11
Why did you want to do medicine so much? Many choose this field due to the pay. Well it seems like you're doing the exact same thing with economics now, just concentrating on that and nothing else. Keep your options open. Always be content with your Plan B and Plan C. If you're striving towards one goal constantly, how do you think you'll feel when you don't get it?

I was interested in biology/chemistry, thought it would be nice to enter a profession where I was helping people. Of course money was an element in the deciding factor but it was by no mean the most important.

Before sixth form I never really looked into economics, during the first couple of months of sixth form I thought about dropping economics but my teacher convinced me otherwise (which was a good choice) as I started understanding it I could apply it to real life and became much more interested in economics and politics and such. I thought about applying to do economics but never had maths so practically no university would take me. I thought maybe give A&F a go as not all A&F universities require maths.

If you strive towards one goal that you can afford to devote more time to it.

I might be taking maths in my gap year but not sure yet.
Original post by . .
I was interested in biology/chemistry, thought it would be nice to enter a profession where I was helping people. Of course money was an element in the deciding factor but it was by no mean the most important.

Before sixth form I never really looked into economics, during the first couple of months of sixth form I thought about dropping economics but my teacher convinced me otherwise (which was a good choice) as I started understanding it I could apply it to real life and became much more interested in economics and politics and such. I thought about applying to do economics but never had maths so practically no university would take me. I thought maybe give A&F a go as not all A&F universities require maths.

If you strive towards one goal that you can afford to devote more time to it.

I might be taking maths in my gap year but not sure yet.

Fair enough. But consider, whether you would personally enjoy your career. It's important to think about yourself as well, not always others. Why don't you think of applying now to A+F, instead of taking a gap year out? Many have applied in May, and have still got offers.

Maybe because you saw it as a discontinued pattern from your other subjects? And saw little relevance in helping you to achieve your Medicine career?

I hugely doubt colleges allow you to take only one subject. Unless it is self-teach? Also is math's something you're good at?
Reply 13
Fair enough. But consider, whether you would personally enjoy your career. It's important to think about yourself as well, not always others. Why don't you think of applying now to A+F, instead of taking a gap year out? Many have applied in May, and have still got offers.

Maybe because you saw it as a discontinued pattern from your other subjects? And saw little relevance in helping you to achieve your Medicine career?

I hugely doubt colleges allow you to take only one subject. Unless it is self-teach? Also is math's something you're good at?

All the good universities are practically full.

I know college would probably not allow me. I was thinking of self teaching. I wouldn't say I'm "good" nor "bad" at Maths. I got an A at GCSE, I know GCSE is a bad indicator of whether I could cope with it at A-Level but I would be spending a year studying one subject so it wouldn't be impossible to say I wouldn't be able to secure a good grade if I worked at it.

I was thinking of dropping it because I never understood it during the beginning stages but once I started understanding it I enjoyed it and decided to drop physics instead which I didn't enjoy.
Original post by . .
All the good universities are practically full.

I know college would probably not allow me. I was thinking of self teaching. I wouldn't say I'm "good" nor "bad" at Maths. I got an A at GCSE, I know GCSE is a bad indicator of whether I could cope with it at A-Level but I would be spending a year studying one subject so it wouldn't be impossible to say I wouldn't be able to secure a good grade if I worked at it.

I was thinking of dropping it because I never understood it during the beginning stages but once I started understanding it I enjoyed it and decided to drop physics instead which I didn't enjoy.

If you're thinking of going to a university that isn't within the top 10. They are all pretty much considered the same. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with applying to an 'average university'.

Math's is not really something you can self-teach, since the complexity is above the roofs in A-levels. How hard did you work for that A in that GCSE's? For A-levels, it is easier if maths is something that comes naturally to you, rather than hardcore revising it. Also what grade do you need for the A-level maths at least?

There are some subjects, I don't enjoy. But we always seem to think it's the actual subject, but it's more of the class, the teacher, the time period etc.
Reply 15
If you're thinking of going to a university that isn't within the top 10. They are all pretty much considered the same. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with applying to an 'average university'.

Math's is not really something you can self-teach, since the complexity is above the roofs in A-levels. How hard did you work for that A in that GCSE's? For A-levels, it is easier if maths is something that comes naturally to you, rather than hardcore revising it. Also what grade do you need for the A-level maths at least?

There are some subjects, I don't enjoy. But we always seem to think it's the actual subject, but it's more of the class, the teacher, the time period etc.

I'm thinking of going to a university that is in the top 10, maybe top 5. I never said there is something wrong with applying to an average university I just want to get into the best university I can.

I've heard of many and spoken to a few people self teaching maths and being successful. I read CGP the night before for the A, something I regret. Of course maths would be easier if it naturally comes to you that's just obvious. Well I want an A or better.

What's your point. I enjoy all my subjects. Sure having a good teacher and a friendly class would be helpful but having a bad teacher and **** class wouldn't detract from the fact that you still enjoy the subject.
Original post by . .
I'm thinking of going to a university that is in the top 10, maybe top 5. I never said there is something wrong with applying to an average university I just want to get into the best university I can.

I've heard of many and spoken to a few people self teaching maths and being successful. I read CGP the night before for the A, something I regret. Of course maths would be easier if it naturally comes to you that's just obvious. Well I want an A or better.

What's your point. I enjoy all my subjects. Sure having a good teacher and a friendly class would be helpful but having a bad teacher and **** class wouldn't detract from the fact that you still enjoy the subject.

Woah, I didn't mean to cause you any offence :redface:

Apologies for 'attempting' to help you. I think it's best if I just stopped now. You seem to be taking my advice offensively :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Woah, I didn't mean to cause you any offence :redface:

Apologies for 'attempting' to help you. I think it's best if I just stopped now. You seem to be taking my advice offensively :s-smilie:

Well you weren't actually offering me advice or answering the questions in my OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending