The Student Room Group

Forensic Science BTEC

Currently i am studying a Level 3 BTEC in Applied Science - Forensic Science (Extended Diploma) Right now i am struggling to decide what to do about a course at university. All i know is i would like to work in a laboratory, such as analysing DNA etc. or genetics, perhaps something biology related. I don't know if it would be worth doing a Forensic Science degree as i worry it would narrow down my future job opportunities and career. Possibly instead i could study biology (human biology?) or biochemistry. I do not know. I also worry that due to studying a BTEC, i would be less favoured into getting into a reputable university for a core science degree as i do not have an A level. However, i am looking into doing an AS level next year in Chemistry or Biology. I would like to make clear that i chose to do a BTEC, i could have studied A levels but doing a BTEC was the best decision from what i have experienced so far.
Previously i studied Level 2 Applied Science and obtained a distinction over all. Currently i am aiming for a triple D* and have so far achieved all distinctions in each unit for the first year of the level 3 extended diploma.
My GCSE grades:
Triple Science - B/C/C
English - C
Maths - C
History - C
Drama - C
RE - C
PCHE - B
Music BTEC - M/M/M

What is the best path i could take? Any comment or opinion is welcome:u:
Reply 1
perhaps go for a Biological Sciences degree? I don't mean any degree in the biological sciences I mean there is actually a degree called that and you can specialize in any field of biology you want from Genetics to zoology. obviously such a degree would be very flexible so you need not worry about restricting your future career. And well done on all those distinctions you have gotten so far :smile:
Original post by KatyN
Currently i am studying a Level 3 BTEC in Applied Science - Forensic Science (Extended Diploma) Right now i am struggling to decide what to do about a course at university. All i know is i would like to work in a laboratory, such as analysing DNA etc. or genetics, perhaps something biology related. I don't know if it would be worth doing a Forensic Science degree as i worry it would narrow down my future job opportunities and career. Possibly instead i could study biology (human biology?) or biochemistry. I do not know. I also worry that due to studying a BTEC, i would be less favoured into getting into a reputable university for a core science degree as i do not have an A level. However, i am looking into doing an AS level next year in Chemistry or Biology. I would like to make clear that i chose to do a BTEC, i could have studied A levels but doing a BTEC was the best decision from what i have experienced so far.
Previously i studied Level 2 Applied Science and obtained a distinction over all. Currently i am aiming for a triple D* and have so far achieved all distinctions in each unit for the first year of the level 3 extended diploma.
My GCSE grades:
Triple Science - B/C/C
English - C
Maths - C
History - C
Drama - C
RE - C
PCHE - B
Music BTEC - M/M/M

What is the best path i could take? Any comment or opinion is welcome:u:

Hi, i was just wondering what you thought of this forensic science course because i may be starting it in septemember but i would like some people's opinions who have studied it before i make my final decision
Reply 3
Original post by ChloeKathryn
Hi, i was just wondering what you thought of this forensic science course because i may be starting it in septemember but i would like some people's opinions who have studied it before i make my final decision

Hi, sorry for the latest reply ever i did not see your post until now.
All i can really say is that if you like science then it is the course for you. I only slightly regret doing a BTEC, it changed my view on everything and made me decide what i actually want to do at university. If you want to actually become a forensic scientist you need to think what would you want to specialize in - being a forensic scientist covers a broad spectrum, i never would have considered choosing a different path (biomedical) to then get into forensics after. This is simply because of job opportunities, it is very difficult to get a job in forensics. What i advise you to do is look up the job 'forensic scientist' and see what degrees they require for that job role. This may help you decide that core sciences at A level and not BTEC is they way forward for you personally. I wish i looked into it more beforehand. Coursework is very time consuming, if you are not dedicated or don't have enough motivation then you will not have the focus to do coursework - it takes a lot of self discipline. If you have any other questions i am happy to answer them, and good luck in whatever you choose or chose to do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest