The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Seen Battleship. **** film but still better than Transformers. The black woman looked familiar.
Will Smith quite popular on YouTube. For slapping a reporter and doing a Fresh Prince duet with Gary Barlow.

All this leans towards MIB3 being utter ****.
Reply 6402
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Seen Battleship. **** film but still better than Transformers. The black woman looked familiar.

You went and watched Battleship? Did you lose a bet or something? :holmes:

A friend asked me and another friend about what film might be included in our top films of the millennium so far, and both of us immediately responded Transformers in the most serious way possible. The other person bought it as well, and was really confused. We managed to keep it up for almost a minute, but broke down when we tried to start talking about Shia LaBeouf's acting merits. :sigh:
I think your latter point about him being underestimated because of his age is a good point. In the Alex Rider books, Anthony Horowitz set Alex's age at 14 when the British intelligence began sending him undercover under the reasoning that no one would suspect a kid, and they would underestimate him. And he began to lose that strength of his character as the books/years went by.

I haven't read the Alex Rider books in a long time either. My favourite growing up was the one where he played a real-life videogame level, I remember thinking that was so cool. There's probably a whole bunch I haven't read. Just like with Artemis Fowl, I've only ever read the first four so I'm curious where the character progresses.
Transformers is fun as ****. Not great, but the other two are much worse.
Original post by Abiraleft
You went and watched Battleship? Did you lose a bet or something? :holmes:

A friend asked me and another friend about what film might be included in our top films of the millennium so far, and both of us immediately responded Transformers in the most serious way possible. The other person bought it as well, and was really confused. We managed to keep it up for almost a minute, but broke down when we tried to start talking about Shia LaBeouf's acting merits. :sigh:

Almost, I lost the vote to decide which film to watch. My friends are the type of people that like big explosions and action films so are the ones always inclined to watch such films as the Expendables, Transformers, Avengers, Mission Impossible whilst finding films such as True Grit and Inception 'mediocre'. :emo:

I'm surprised you didn't break down when saying Transformers. :lol: I liked Shia LaBeouf in the Even Stevens TV show and as a secondary supporting character in the Constantine and I Robot films. It's the main spotlight that he does not seem suited to.
Original post by Colonel.

All this leans towards MIB3 being utter ****.

The trailer should have told you enough about the film. Looks bland and uninteresting, and belongs in the 90s.
Almost, I lost the vote to decide which film to watch. My friends are the type of people that like big explosions and action films so are the ones always inclined to watch such films as the Expendables, Transformers, Avengers, Mission Impossible whilst finding films such as True Grit and Inception 'mediocre'. :emo:

I'm surprised you didn't break down when saying Transformers. :lol: I liked Shia LaBeouf in the Even Stevens TV show and as a secondary supporting character in the Constantine and I Robot films. It's the main spotlight that he does not seem suited to.
I quite liked him in Holes, though. :moon:
The trailer should have told you enough about the film. Looks bland and uninteresting, and belongs in the 90s.

So does Will Smith tbh.
Reply 6409
I actually really enjoy Shia LaBeouf as an actor. I think he has good screen presence, and is really good at portraying fun and quirky characters. Although Disturbia wasn't GREAT, he did act pretty well in that, and I thought as well in Constantine he acted pretty well too!

He's just interesting to watch IMO.
Luis Buñuel's Phantom of Liberty - 8/10

The most surreal work from the Spaniard by an English mile, easily. I enjoyed it greatly, though it was a little too staccato and roundabout to be a truly great film, even if you judge the work within the realms of the genre he made his mark in. The scene in the hotel with the monks and all the rest was absolutely perfect. If you ever want to laugh, watch that scene.

Apprehensive. Visually it looks great, but that's basically all Luhrmann's good for. Don't really know what else to say.

However if there is ANY autotune in the soundtrack, I will vomit in the theatre and feel no shame or remorse.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Christien

Apprehensive. Visually it looks great, but that's basically all Luhrmann's good for. Don't really know what else to say.

However if there is ANY autotune in the soundtrack, I will vomit in the theatre and feel no shame or remorse.

Yes, that's the morally right thing to do.

Still not sure what to make of it...It looks as if it could be watchable but Luhrmann's still probably got a few things up his sleeve that are yet to be seen but are bound to ruin the movie.
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Yes, that's the morally right thing to do.

Still not sure what to make of it...It looks as if it could be watchable but Luhrmann's still probably got a few things up his sleeve that are yet to be seen but are bound to ruin the movie.

It's very odd. I see no reason for the 3D whatsoever - he'll probably linger on falling snow or cigarette smoke or the blood filling up the pool at the end though, I suppose - and though the cast is very good, the line readings seem to veer from affectless to over-the-top.

IDK, maybe I'm being unfair because I really enjoy the book and find Baz Luhrmann intolerable. I mean a director has a right to change what he wants in adaptation, but I keep worrying he's going to turn it into another melodramatic star-crossed lover story (ignoring the central point that Daisy's actually not really worth it and Gatsby should probably find something else to do, like polo or Monopoly or something) which is aesthetically impressive but otherwise completely ****ing vapid.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think Baz Luhrmann is brilliant. Romeo+Juliet was a very brave and ambitious interpretation, and he's a director with tremendous flair. He also doesn't make a whole lot of films, so it's always refreshing to see him. The 3D backlash is all getting rather tiresome though - Martin Scorsese definitively showed that films you might not initially think need 3D can benefit from it, and still be excellent works in their own right.

It also looks like Carey Mulligan is now officially one of the biggest actresses in the world, which is nice. However, there's a distinct lack of Vincent Chase in that trailer. :sad:

EDIT: My 3D comment wasn't aimed at you Christien (I didn't see it before I wrote my post), just at the more general youtube crowd that goes "haha, 3D is crap".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6415
Original post by Phalanges
It also looks like Carey Mulligan is now officially one of the biggest actresses in the world, which is nice.

:yep: It's been coming. It looks like she know how to pick her movies as well - An Education, Never Let Me Go, Drive and Shame in recent years (although also a blip with Wall Street 2).
Reply 6416
I'll certainly go and see it because I love the book, but like Christien I'm concerned that Luhrmann is going to portray Gatsby and Daisy as ill fated 'one true loves', when the whole point of the novel is the fact that she is anything but that.
I think Baz Luhrmann is brilliant. Romeo+Juliet was a very brave and ambitious interpretation, and he's a director with tremendous flair. He also doesn't make a whole lot of films, so it's always refreshing to see him. The 3D backlash is all getting rather tiresome though - Martin Scorsese definitively showed that films you might not initially think need 3D can benefit from it, and still be excellent works in their own right.

It also looks like Carey Mulligan is now officially one of the biggest actresses in the world, which is nice. However, there's a distinct lack of Vincent Chase in that trailer. :sad:

EDIT: My 3D comment wasn't aimed at you Christien (I didn't see it before I wrote my post), just at the more general youtube crowd that goes "haha, 3D is crap".

Oh no problem at all. I don't have an issue with 3D in general unless it's retrofitted against the director's wishes or whatever (I think if they could find a way to incorporate good 3D into a rerelease of Space Odyssey it'd be pretty close to amazing). I just don't know that it'll work specifically for Gatsby. The Eckleburg metaphor for example is already blatant enough, and if he has the eyes literally pop out of the screen it's more or less tantamount to beating the audience over the head and screaming 'THEMES AND MOTIFS, THIS HAS THEMES AND MOTIFS'. But this is a problem derived from my understanding of the book and not Luhrmann's film, so I guess I should be less unfair on it.

Also, I'm wondering what was brave and ambitious about Romeo + Juliet. It's probably the only film of his I don't really dislike, but timeshifted Shakespeare has been done before: West Side Story, Branagh's Hamlet, the Ian McKellen Hitler version of Richard III (which is seriously weird but also great), etc. Is it the fact that it's pretty seamlessly integrated into the teen film genre, or am I missing something? Genuinely curious.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Abiraleft
:yep: It's been coming. It looks like she know how to pick her movies as well - An Education, Never Let Me Go, Drive and Shame in recent years (although also a blip with Wall Street 2).

I once went and put a £1 accumulator on the Oscars at a bookies (where everyone in the shop stared at me like I was a lunatic). I bet on every category they had available, and the only one I got wrong was best actress - it went to Sandra Bullock, when I had gone for Mulligan in An Education. Had she got it I would have won something ridiculous like £500. Still maintain I was robbed.

Original post by Christien
Also, I'm wondering what was brave and ambitious about Romeo + Juliet. It's probably the only film of his I don't really dislike, but timeshifted Shakespeare has been done before: West Side Story, Branagh's Hamlet, the Ian McKellen Hitler version of Richard III (which is seriously weird but also great), etc. Is it the fact that it's pretty seamlessly integrated into the teen film genre, or am I missing something? Genuinely curious.

There's a lot of things I admire about it. I think it's partly because the starting point is that it is one of the most famous stories ever (more so than any other Shakespeare play, I'd say), so you're always going to face criticism with what ever you do with it. And yet it absolutely wasn't done by halves, Luhrmann had a vision and didn't compromise it for anything. I also think it captured the mood of the time in a way that was really damned impressive - it's pretty difficult to modernise something and sink it in reality without it just becoming a vacuous mess of pop-culture references. Although I know relatively little about it, I guess West Side Story did a similar thing at the time, but the key difference for me was Luhrmann's decision to retain the original language. It was the first thing I saw that really made me appreciate Shakespeare and become interested in it because of the language, in a way that West Side Story (which I'd seen before) didn't manage to. I personally think the ambitious part of it was that it was Luhrmann's attempt to switch on a generation to Shakespeare that didn't necessarily appreciate it by grounding it in a world they'd understand. And there's something very noble about that (and far cleverer than dry Shakespeare academics who look down their noses at anything they don't perceive as respectful and lament the fact that ignorant young people don't like the works), regardless of how well you think he succeeded.

I'm not sure I would ever appreciate a film adaptation of The Great Gatsby. For me the main attraction in reading it was the wonderful way it was written, and I'm not sure how that would ever be captured outside of a book (unless you attempt something like that really interesting-sounding play called Gatz where they just read the book - I don't know if you've heard of it?). But Luhrmann is one of the few directors I'd actually have the faith in to respect that language and make it a central part of the film.
(edited 11 years ago)

There's a lot of things I admire about it. I think it's partly because the starting point is that it is one of the most famous stories ever (more so than any other Shakespeare play, I'd say), so you're always going to face criticism with what ever you do with it. And yet it absolutely wasn't done by halves, Luhrmann had a vision and didn't compromise it for anything. I also think it captured the mood of the time in a way that was really damned impressive - it's pretty difficult to modernise something and sink it in reality without it just becoming a vacuous mess of pop-culture references. Although I know relatively little about it, I guess West Side Story did a similar thing at the time, but the key difference for me was Luhrmann's decision to retain the original language. It was the first thing I saw that really made me appreciate Shakespeare and become interested in it because of the language, in a way that West Side Story (which I'd seen before) didn't manage to. I personally think the ambitious part of it was that it was Luhrmann's attempt to switch on a generation to Shakespeare that didn't necessarily appreciate it by grounding it in a world they'd understand. And there's something very noble about that (and far cleverer than dry Shakespeare academics who look down their noses at anything they don't perceive as respectful and lament the fact that ignorant young people don't like the works), regardless of how well you think he succeeded.

I'm not sure I would ever appreciate a film adaptation of The Great Gatsby. For me the main attraction in reading it was the wonderful way it was written, and I'm not sure how that would ever be captured outside of a book (unless you attempt something like that really interesting-sounding play called Gatz where they just read the book - I don't know if you've heard of it?). But Luhrmann is one of the few directors I'd actually have the faith in to respect that language and make it a central part of the film.

I suppose he did make it more accessible, which is to be commended. He did seem to bend the world to fit the language on occasion - naming the guns 'longsword', 'rapier' etc.- which I thought was pretty obnoxious at the time, but it's a minor quibble, I suppose. I liked it better than Moulin Rouge and Australia, at any rate.

I haven't heard of Gatz, but that does sound interesting. Yeah Fitzgerald's prose is essentially the main reason Gatsby's any good at all. Without significant narration, it's going to be nigh-impossible to see Nick Carraway as anything but a boring audience surrogate, or to understand exactly what about Jay Gatsby was so compelling to him (because honestly it's really easy to make him look like some sort of demanding, unreasonable stalker- some smartarse has tried this line every time I've studied the book in class). It's not an easy project, to be sure. I don't like Luhrmann for it but I don't know who I'd have instead. Fincher or a resurrected Kubrick, I suppose, but that's obvious. :dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending