The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduates 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Woohoo ! FINALLY got a reply regarding my accommodation ! I am an official st Aidan's college member !
Collingwood was my first choice but hey, I won't bite the hand that feeds me lool! It is as modern as I wanted but a bit far from everything else though...

What college are you guys going to ?

By the way I will be taking a Msc Finance and am 22.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by wholemeal
i'm from singapore, yea the application procedures are really different here. i read some other threads where people waited for 2 months or more for an application reply :s-smilie: that's long! but i suppose for a pHd there isnt an actual fixed commencement date

Hey!! I'm from Singapore too!:smile: I've recently confirmed my place to do a PhD in Theology. Have you heard back re your application? PhD English Lit right?
Reply 162
Original post by KeepRunning
Hey!! I'm from Singapore too!:smile: I've recently confirmed my place to do a PhD in Theology. Have you heard back re your application? PhD English Lit right?

Hey yep I've received an acceptance last week! :wink::wink::wink: gotta choose a college now!
Original post by Studentiality
Yeah have loved being at Brum, but really excited about Durham as the two seem poles apart! How have you found Liverpool? Wow Essex is so far away then haha! Ah ok that's cool :smile: Yeah, I also can't really decide what I want to do so figured buying myself an extra year with more qualifications can't really be a bad thing - hopefully will find something straight after to tackle the huge debt I will have built up though haha! No, I've been looking for info about the colleges etc and can't find anything either!? I'll probs have another look and email them if I cant find anything...

Absolutely, I am totally with you on the poles apart bit. Liverpool sounds similar to Brum in that sense. Durham will be a big change but one I am excited for :smile: Did you find anything about the colleges? I finally received my accommodation email and it on there that it links to where you put down your choices. Gutted University/Castle is gone...I emailed the admissions lady and she said it is already full for PGs. Do you have any inclination as to which college you want to be in?
Hey yep I've received an acceptance last week! :wink::wink::wink: gotta choose a college now!

Congrats! I'm doing an MA in English. What is your PHD in? :smile:
Reply 165
Original post by writergirl
Congrats! I'm doing an MA in English. What is your PHD in? :smile:

thanks! cant wait to head over:smile: i'll be working on 20c women's writing, the modernist writers basically. how about you! who's your supervisor?

i selected castle and unistov by the way :wink:
thanks! cant wait to head over:smile: i'll be working on 20c women's writing, the modernist writers basically. how about you! who's your supervisor?

i selected castle and unistov by the way :wink:

Fantastic stuff! That sounds perfect. I'm doing a taught MA so I don't think I have a supervisor/or know it yet. Nice selection of colleges, I put down St. Chad's and St. Mary's. We shall see what happens. Too excited! :smile:
Original post by writergirl
Absolutely, I am totally with you on the poles apart bit. Liverpool sounds similar to Brum in that sense. Durham will be a big change but one I am excited for :smile: Did you find anything about the colleges? I finally received my accommodation email and it on there that it links to where you put down your choices. Gutted University/Castle is gone...I emailed the admissions lady and she said it is already full for PGs. Do you have any inclination as to which college you want to be in?

I know, so gutted about Castle, it looked amazing. Ow I hope there aren't too many others that have gone, I'm aware I'm applying quite late! I'm just trying to pick colleges now and struggling, there is so much choice ha! Kinda wish I could visit but it's soo far away! I'm getting more and more excited about it now that I've finished my exams!
Reply 168
Heyyy,

Congrats on all your offers and stuff! I'm sure you'll love the college you end up with. I'm 21 and about to start doing an MA in Early Modern History at St Johns College - Can't wait to get started! I'm doing a Latin Summer School at Durham over the Summer and it happens to be based in St Johns College... I'm dead excited to get a look around haha. :P

Good luck with all your exams and hope the revision is going well for you all! Enjoy the awesome weather too!!
Original post by Mod Calm
Heyyy,

Congrats on all your offers and stuff! I'm sure you'll love the college you end up with. I'm 21 and about to start doing an MA in Early Modern History at St Johns College - Can't wait to get started! I'm doing a Latin Summer School at Durham over the Summer and it happens to be based in St Johns College... I'm dead excited to get a look around haha. :P

Good luck with all your exams and hope the revision is going well for you all! Enjoy the awesome weather too!!

And to you too! St. John's looks fantastic, I am certain you'll have a great time there. Great stuff about the latin summer school, definitely will let you get a feel for it before term begins officially. :smile:
Reply 170
Program: MA Culture and Difference
Dept: Modern Languages
College: Hoping for St. Chad's, St. Cuth's, or Hatfield probably...

I FINALLY accepted my offer to Durham, now that I've got that major decision out of the way I'm worried about colleges...particularly the accommodation aspect. Not being able to visit (I'm in the US) it's hard to get an idea of what living in halls would be like. Hatfield looks like a great college, but the James Barber house? Hmm...
Original post by Studentiality
I know, so gutted about Castle, it looked amazing. Ow I hope there aren't too many others that have gone, I'm aware I'm applying quite late! I'm just trying to pick colleges now and struggling, there is so much choice ha! Kinda wish I could visit but it's soo far away! I'm getting more and more excited about it now that I've finished my exams!

I'm the same. I think though we'll have a good time wherever we end up- making the best of things and all that malarkey :smile: The wealth of choice is so confusing, it's hard to get it right when there's so many options. I agree! Hope your exams went well....I finished yesterday, getting closer to Durham!
Reply 172
Program: MSc Palaeopathology
Dept: Archaeology
College: Hatfield

Hi there! I took the leap and applied for colleges a couple of weeks ago, but having relatively very little information to go off of (as I'm in the US and can't visit and don't know anyone at DU) I'm starting to worry a bit. I had chosen Hatfield, and have just received an acceptance email, but now I'm starting to hear that it may have a less than stellar reputation (as indicated by the "Why does everyone hate Hatfield" thread, among others). Does anyone have any insight on this, or am I just being silly?
Hey everyone :smile:……

……another newbie to the studentroom, starting as a postgrad in the fall. I found this forum online and just had to add my two cents to the conversation. It is nice to find people who are attending, it makes it feel so much more real for me and I can’t lie I am excited.

Alizari– Hatfield, Collingwood, University, Ustinov and the rest all sound great and I’m sure you’ll find their all going to be cut form the same amazing cloth– don’t get me wrong finding a environment that is right for you is important but I think you will do just that once you arrive. So just go with your gut and once you touch down in the north east I’m sure your time will be instantly occupied and you will just adjust and gravitate towards surroundings that suit.

The main thing is that you’re coming to Durham and for me October can’t come around fast enough.

Also is it just me or has anyone else been more excited to relocate to a place that is colder than where your from? because I actually am
Reply 174
Original post by TheGreatIndoors
Hey everyone :smile:……

……another newbie to the studentroom, starting as a postgrad in the fall. I found this forum online and just had to add my two cents to the conversation. It is nice to find people who are attending, it makes it feel so much more real for me and I can’t lie I am excited.

Alizari– Hatfield, Collingwood, University, Ustinov and the rest all sound great and I’m sure you’ll find their all going to be cut form the same amazing cloth– don’t get me wrong finding a environment that is right for you is important but I think you will do just that once you arrive. So just go with your gut and once you touch down in the north east I’m sure your time will be instantly occupied and you will just adjust and gravitate towards surroundings that suit.

The main thing is that you’re coming to Durham and for me October can’t come around fast enough.

Also is it just me or has anyone else been more excited to relocate to a place that is colder than where your from? because I actually am

I've just finished my undergraduate degree at Newcastle.... I'm so gutted that Durham is only half an hour away and so won't be much warmer than where I am at the moment. :-( I miss the sun! and the warmth! :-(
.....well at least your slowly but surely moving your way south and closer to sunnier climes you should think of it like you did your undergrad degree at Newcastle (cold) you’ll do your Masters at Durham (coldish) your M.Phil/ MRes in London (warmer) and the time you finish your academia with your PhD you’ll be in Alicante basking in the sun. Sounds pretty good right :smile:
The general advice I have had from friends/relatives/family is 'take lots of layers'. I'm originally from Essex, so it's lucky that contrary to popular stereotypical belief I own clothing thicker than bodycon dresses and mini skirts. :smile:

I was trying to create a Facebook page to complement this page but it won't let me unless I have another 'friend' to invite. I felt very alone haha.
I’m with you and I’m from the south of england too and like I’ve asked friends who’ve lived up north and they tell me that although the weather is not hugely different from the south, they say I’ll notice the northern chill from the moment I reach durham.

But I actually enjoy wrapping up for the winter, gives me an extra chance to wear my silly bobble-hat and the excess amount of hoodies, jumpers and jackets I have laying around.

…………what I really can’t wait for is to take a pic with the angle of the north in the winter snow will be an epic screensaver!!!
Original post by TheGreatIndoors
I’m with you and I’m from the south of england too and like I’ve asked friends who’ve lived up north and they tell me that although the weather is not hugely different from the south, they say I’ll notice the northern chill from the moment I reach durham.

But I actually enjoy wrapping up for the winter, gives me an extra chance to wear my silly bobble-hat and the excess amount of hoodies, jumpers and jackets I have laying around.

…………what I really can’t wait for is to take a pic with the angle of the north in the winter snow will be an epic screensaver!!!

I completely agree with you. I love wrapping up in warm clothes, and have enough berets to last the three terms! The screensaver will be fantastic; facebook timeline cover worthy also.
The Castle, the Cathedral and Prebends Bridge your fb timeline cover is going to be changing constantly next year :smile:

Quick Reply