The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Original post by minniiee
i thought the coined outfits were for weddings/special events only?

i guess we could call those funny trousers traditional... salvar? savlar? the ones that are in fashion here atm and everyone is calling harreem pants...

That's how they rolled.

Şalvar. God yeah, seen a few girls in the library wearing those. Terrible fashion trend imo.
Original post by Akkuz
That's how they rolled.

Şalvar. God yeah, seen a few girls in the library wearing those. Terrible fashion trend imo.

agreeeeeeeed
only the countryside tese's (i have no idea how to spell i turkish if you haven't gathered) can pull them off lol
Reply 2022
agreeeeeeeed
only the countryside tese's (i have no idea how to spell i turkish if you haven't gathered) can pull them off lol

Teyze. They should not be worn outside of villages :holmes:

Another hot day here. I wish I was in Bodrum right now :colonhash:

Possibly, but according to my mother Anatolians dressed quite differently before the mass migration to Istanbul. If not as fancy and ceremonial looking as the images I have posted, then I imagine it to be something similar at least, by her description.
Original post by Akkuz
Teyze. They should not be worn outside of villages :holmes:

Another hot day here. I wish I was in Bodrum right now :colonhash:

i agree! i dont know if its warm here im stuck inside :frown: get me to that beach noooooooowwwwww

Original post by RamocitoMorales
Possibly, but according to my mother Anatolians dressed quite differently before the mass migration to Istanbul. If not as fancy and ceremonial looking as the images I have posted, then I imagine it to be something similar at least, by her description.

ah fair enough
my family is from istanbul and my mother made me an outfit that was similar when i was a lot younger for fancy dress and always told me it was for special occasions/weddings maybe its different in the two places...
Reply 2025
i agree! i dont know if its warm here im stuck inside :frown: get me to that beach noooooooowwwwww

People who live in Turkey are so lucky. They can just grab a quick/cheap flight over to any of the beach places.

Flight prices to Turkey atm are astronomical. An Istanbul return ticket for July is like £250-£300.
Original post by Akkuz
People who live in Turkey are so lucky. They can just grab a quick/cheap flight over to any of the beach places.

Flight prices to Turkey atm are astronomical. An Istanbul return ticket for July is like £250-£300.

WHAT? where from/ who with?
Reply 2027
WHAT? where from/ who with?

From London to Istanbul. That's the cheapest price tbh.

I wrote my dissertation on the airline industry and I can tell you, that very, very soon only wealthy people will be able to afford to fly.
Original post by Akkuz

You need to snap them up a lot earlier. Turkey has become quite the tourist destination.
Original post by Akkuz
From London to Istanbul. That's the cheapest price tbh.

I wrote my dissertation on the airline industry and I can tell you, that very, very soon only wealthy people will be able to afford to fly.

i work in the airline industry :smile:
well kinda
you know esayjet fly STN - loadsa places right?
they'res aren't usually too bad

but you have left it a bit late....
Reply 2030
You need to snap them up a lot earlier. Turkey has become quite the tourist destination.

Yep that's the best method. The reason why it's so high this year because of further oil price increases, inclusion of aviation in the EU ETS (i.e. as of 2012 airlines now have to pay for carbon dioxide offsets) and of course the Olympics. More people coming to the UK, and more people leaving the UK to escape the Olympics. There's also been a slight increase in aviation taxes too.

The way things are going I would predict that air-fares are likely to triple/quadruple by 2020. Just my mere estimation, from the research I've done :tongue: I hope they don't increase :emo:

i work in the airline industry :smile:
well kinda
you know esayjet fly STN - loadsa places right?
they'res aren't usually too bad

How do you work in the airline industry? Never flown easyjet actually. Need to give it a try.
(edited 11 years ago)
In my mother's village, they used to wear 'traditional' Turkish attire before the vast majority of them migrated to Istanbul and adopted the what's typical there.

I scoured the internet for a good picture, but this was the best I could find:

Spoiler

It has a lot of 'coins', basically.

Since the mass migration from Anatolian villages to Istanbul, Turkish women begun to dress like this:

Spoiler

Which I think is a shame really, as I'm a conservative when it comes to our culture and tradition. :sad:

I don't, at all. :hmmmm2:

Wow that's really pretty. I'd love to dress like that one day!

The second one is just...:s-smilie:

Haha, you must really hate me then, since I know nothing about my traditions...:redface:

You type with like complex words... which makes me think you're posh.
Original post by Akkuz
Yep that's the best method. The reason why it's so high this year because of further oil price increases, inclusion of aviation in the EU ETS (i.e. as of 2012 airlines now have to pay for carbon dioxide offsets) and of course the Olympics. More people coming to the UK, and more people leaving the UK to escape the Olympics. There's also been a slight increase in aviation taxes too.

The way things are going I would predict that air-fares are likely to triple/quadruple by 2020. Just my mere estimation, from the research I've done :tongue: I hope they don't increase :emo:

How do you work in the airline industry? Never flown easyjet actually. Need to give it a try.

im an intern at a charter brokers :smile:
i do cargo not pax though...
easyjet aren't great obviously but they're faaar superior to ryanair
pegasus also fly from STN but i dunno how cheap they are...

i guess we could call those funny trousers traditional... salvar? savlar? the ones that are in fashion here atm and everyone is calling harreem pants...

whats salvar? isnt that what pakistani's wear?
Original post by y.yousef
whats salvar? isnt that what pakistani's wear?

jimpamsalvar.jpg

i no nothing of the traditional dress of pakistanis
but above is the turkish salvar
Reply 2035
im an intern at a charter brokers :smile:
i do cargo not pax though...
easyjet aren't great obviously but they're faaar superior to ryanair
pegasus also fly from STN but i dunno how cheap they are...

Ahh cargo. That's cool :yep: Flying around is the perks of the job, eh? :wink:

I did my 3 month internship at one of the major airlines at their HQ and wrote both my dissertations on airlines. It's a fun but very volatile industry to work in! :tongue:

Edit - Pegasus fly direct from LDN to Izmir, but it's very expensive. £500-£600 return at the moment.
jimpamsalvar.jpg

i no nothing of the traditional dress of pakistanis
but above is the turkish salvar

I live near a place where there are many pakistani's.
Hence why I know ALOT about their culture including their language.

And yes, that's exactly what Pakistani's wear.
I'm glad we wear this as well :biggrin:

But it making me confused...who invented the Salwar kameez? :confused:
Original post by Akkuz
Ahh cargo. That's cool :yep: Flying around is the perks of the job, eh? :wink:

I did my 3 month internship at one of the major airlines at their HQ and wrote both my dissertations on airlines. It's a fun but very volatile industry to work in! :tongue:

Edit - Pegasus fly direct from LDN to Izmir, but it's very expensive. £500-£600 return at the moment.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? wow thats insane prices... charter a pocket rocket and divide the price per head with your mates n it'd probably be cheaper!!!

aahhhh inbox me which one? im curious
im assuming you did self loading?
yess! ive been turkey twice and had an all expenses paid piss up in PMI last week... amaaaazzinnggg :smile:
Reply 2038
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? wow thats insane prices... charter a pocket rocket and divide the price per head with your mates n it'd probably be cheaper!!!

aahhhh inbox me which one? im curious
im assuming you did self loading?
yess! ive been turkey twice and had an all expenses paid piss up in PMI last week... amaaaazzinnggg :smile:

I usually head to my house instead of hotels, so I only get flights. But yeah, package holidays if booked in advance are very cheap.

ok :tongue: what do you mean "self-loading"?

Haha, awesome. The perks are the best :biggrin: Where's PMI? I got flown first class all around Europe by them last year by them, it was really fun.
Original post by Akkuz
I usually head to my house instead of hotels, so I only get flights. But yeah, package holidays if booked in advance are very cheap.

ok :tongue: what do you mean "self-loading"?

Haha, awesome. The perks are the best :biggrin: Where's PMI? I got flown first class all around Europe by them last year by them, it was really fun.

first class by them?
super jealous
they are my preferred airline
i did 8 flights with them last month!
you worked with pax! how do you not know that self-loading is self loading freight aka passengers!? ahha

PMI is palma de mallorca sorry :smile:

we dont really get perks liek that more we get to travel for work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending