The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christien
I haven't heard of Gatz, but that does sound interesting. Yeah Fitzgerald's prose is essentially the main reason Gatsby's any good at all. Without significant narration, it's going to be nigh-impossible to see Nick Carraway as anything but a boring audience surrogate, or to understand exactly what about Jay Gatsby was so compelling to him (because honestly it's really easy to make him look like some sort of demanding, unreasonable stalker- some smartarse has tried this line every time I've studied the book in class). It's not an easy project, to be sure. I don't like Luhrmann for it but I don't know who I'd have instead. Fincher or a resurrected Kubrick, I suppose, but that's obvious. :dontknow:

Yeah, it's the kind of play I'd consider going to. If the theatre wasn't so prohibitively expensive.

I'm guessing you're an english student? I always feel a little stupid with books, it takes me so much longer to grasp subtext and motivations than with other things.

If I had to have someone do the film then I'd give David Mamet a big sack of money, tell him to write a script to make all the dialogue reflect the narration, and then have Roman Polanski direct it. Brad Pitt would play Gatsby and Jude Law would play Nick Carraway.
Original post by Phalanges
Yeah, it's the kind of play I'd consider going to. If the theatre wasn't so prohibitively expensive.

I'm guessing you're an english student? I always feel a little stupid with books, it takes me so much longer to grasp subtext and motivations than with other things.

If I had to have someone do the film then I'd give David Mamet a big sack of money, tell him to write a script to make all the dialogue reflect the narration, and then have Roman Polanski direct it. Brad Pitt would play Gatsby and Jude Law would play Nick Carraway.

I am, yes. I tend to apply my thought process with English lit to film and everything else (which is why I didn't do too well in my first year film class), which probably accounts for the pseudo-intellectual tone of a lot of my posts here. :colondollar:

The obvious joke here is 'David Mamet's Great ****in' Gatsby' but that could actually work quite well given his mastery of dialogue. Polanski's done some interesting adaptations before as well, though his best work is original. I also thought of Pitt for Gatsby, because he's got the rough edges that make the character ill-fitting in that world (and he looks the spit of Robert Redford, who, for all the many, many faults of the 1974 film, was a pretty decent Gatsby, all told). Nick, I dunno. Tobey Maguire is actually spot-on casting, given how Nick's supposed to at least appear bland and suggestible (but inwardly grows more disillusioned with every page). In fact, I really can't fault the casting of this film at all. Joel Edgerton looks suitably nasty, Carey Mulligan can't really be argued with, and DiCaprio is probably the finest leading man working today.
Reply 6422
Is it just me, or does Daisy not seem to be portrayed as she is read in the novel?
Original post by lapples
Is it just me, or does Daisy not seem to be portrayed as she is read in the novel?

Well, it's just a trailer, but she seems more emotional and attached to Gatsby than she does in the book. She's supposed to be attracted to him chiefly in terms of money and objects, but he seems to have her all a-quiver in this. But then again, there's that bit early on where she goes on about how the best thing a girl can be is superficial and pleasure-driven in that world, so maybe there's more emphasis on the person beneath the facade she puts up. I dunno. Again, huge overanalysis of a 2 and a half minute trailer, but that's all I've got to go on until December. Mulligan's good enough to nail Luhrmann's vision of Daisy, I'm just not sure she'll get Fitzgerald's.
Going to read Great Gatsby again soon. Not too sure how I feel about it being adapted but the trailer did interest me.
Reply 6425
Well, it's just a trailer, but she seems more emotional and attached to Gatsby than she does in the book. She's supposed to be attracted to him chiefly in terms of money and objects, but he seems to have her all a-quiver in this. But then again, there's that bit early on where she goes on about how the best thing a girl can be is superficial and pleasure-driven in that world, so maybe there's more emphasis on the person beneath the facade she puts up. I dunno. Again, huge overanalysis of a 2 and a half minute trailer, but that's all I've got to go on until December. Mulligan's good enough to nail Luhrmann's vision of Daisy, I'm just not sure she'll get Fitzgerald's.

Yeah, I know, but I'm still dubious about the whole Baz Luhrmann thing.
The "beautiful, little fool" quote?
I just hope it turns out good :smile:
Original post by lapples
Yeah, I know, but I'm still dubious about the whole Baz Luhrmann thing.
The "beautiful, little fool" quote?
I just hope it turns out good :smile:

I've gone on about not being a fan of his to the point where it'd be boring to continue. I hope it turns out well and I will watch it, but I have very low expectations.

Yep, that's the one. Christ I love that book.
(edited 11 years ago)
I am, yes. I tend to apply my thought process with English lit to film and everything else (which is why I didn't do too well in my first year film class), which probably accounts for the pseudo-intellectual tone of a lot of my posts here. :colondollar:

At least you have a justification for it. :p: I'm consistently the only medic writing for my student newspaper, I feel like a traitor to the sciences.

(and he looks the spit of Robert Redford, who, for all the many, many faults of the 1974 film, was a pretty decent Gatsby, all told)

I haven't seen that film, would you recommend it?

On a non-Gatsby aside, I've kind of decided on a recreational project for the summer when all my exams are out of the way: I'm tempted to try and watch every adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. I recently saw Disney and Burton's version and was curious if any others existed and there's a ridiculous amount - Wikipedia lists about 40 direct adaptations, and then there's a ton of inspired by films too. Cary Grant plays the mock turtle in one of them!
(edited 11 years ago)
At least you have a justification for it. :p: I'm consistently the only medic writing for my student newspaper, I feel like a traitor to the sciences.

I haven't seen that film, would you recommend it?

On a non-Gatsby aside, I've kind of decided on a recreational project for the summer when all my exams are out of the way: I'm tempted to try and watch every adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. I recently saw Disney and Burton's version and was curious if any others existed and there's a ridiculous amount - Wikipedia lists about 40 direct adaptations, and then there's a ton of inspired by films too.

The Redford Gatsby is not definitive, but it's not as bad as people make out. Mia Farrow makes a great Daisy (if you can call any portrayal of a character defined by superficiality 'great', anyway) , and Redford's Gatsby is underrated. It doesn't capture the depth of the novel and does seem to paint it as a love story to an extent, but it's more a noble failure than an atrocity like the Demi Moore Scarlet Letter.
I'm looking forward to it. Gives me an excuse to actually read the Great Gatsby instead of playing the video game.
Reply 6430
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

I'm surprised you didn't break down when saying Transformers. :lol: I liked Shia LaBeouf in the Even Stevens TV show and as a secondary supporting character in the Constantine and I Robot films. It's the main spotlight that he does not seem suited to.

How the **** does the internet come up with these things?
Original post by Pi!

How the **** does the internet come up with these things?

:K:

Not a bad song though. I'm actually humming it now.
Original post by Colonel.
I'm looking forward to it. Gives me an excuse to actually read the Great Gatsby instead of playing the video game.

There's a video game? o.O
Reply 6433
I've gone on about not being a fan of his to the point where it'd be boring to continue. I hope it turns out well and I will watch it, but I have very low expectations.

Yep, that's the one. Christ I love that book.

I studied it for higher english, and I absolutely love it now, after being apprehensive of the language :tongue:
and then there's a ton of inspired by films too

one of my favourites:

[video="youtube;R2BAeh8wZLI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2BAeh8wZLI[/video]
Original post by SirMasterKey
There's a video game? o.O

http://greatgatsbygame.com/

Quite amazing tbh
Original post by Mister Dead
one of my favourites:

[video="youtube;R2BAeh8wZLI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2BAeh8wZLI[/video]
****ing hell, that was epic! :awesome:
Reply 6437
Has anyone seen the film Bridesmaids? Was watching it with the GF last night and I would actually give it -10/10 it was ****ing terrible. I genuinely don't think I have seen a worse film. Every character is exactly the ****ing same, there are no jokes, there is no visual humour and there is no ****ing plot or nuance. It was so bad my gf told me to turn it off as it was sending her spiralling in to such a depression she was almost going to top herself.

One of the worst films ever!

Oh and I went to read a couple of reviews about it, expecting it to royally panned. Instead I was subjected to nonsense about how it is part of a feminist movement in films because fat women **** in sinks and they are obsessively vulgar about sex and other things.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I liked it.
Bridesmaids is fantastic. **** off.

Quick Reply

Latest