The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Underage at Freshers week '12 in Aberdeen

Scroll to see replies

I'm confused; how come they're so many underage people, is this a Scottish thing or something? :P
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by Silver Aurora
I'm confused; how come they're so many underage people, is this a Scottish thing or something? :P

From three whole posts ago:

Original post by TheUnbeliever
Some people go straight to university from fifth year ('a year early' from your point of view) but even if they stay on for sixth year, the cutoffs for each year are different between the two systems. In England it's the end of August, but in Scotland it's the end of February. So someone who was born in September-February would be a fifth year (penultimate year) in Scotland whilst their twin who was schooled south of the border would be a Y11.
Original post by Silver Aurora

I'd wager a guess that 25-30% of Scottish freshers are 17. A nominal percentage can even be 16.
Reply 23
Hey, this is all kind of about RGU. What is Aberdeen Freshers' week like for underagers, because I won't be 18 until December either? :smile:
Original post by anmaclean
Hey, this is all kind of about RGU. What is Aberdeen Freshers' week like for underagers, because I won't be 18 until December either? :smile:

I've always found clubs here are very strict with ID, and are also fussy over the form of ID (passport, or driving license/provisional only). Wristbands are sold during Freshers' Week which get you entry into offical Aberdeen uni Freshers' clubs, queue jump, and free use of the late night transport but I wouldn't advise buying one if you're under 18 and save yourself ~£35. There's plenty of events for underagers, and you'll find many flat or kitchen parties. Hillhead also has The Union Bar, which has themed night events throughout the week, and I've never actually seen them ID people so is also a popular place to go.

With regards to non-drinking activities, have a look at the 2011 Freshers' Week Entertainment Guide to give you an idea of the sort of things that go on. :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by StevenF
(: Have to say, I'm glad you started this thread as I was worrying as well!

Same here ... I'll turn 18 next Feb n already firmed Bath for BBA!!! :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by BritainPersonified
Agreed. We can always have an underager flat party :P

Count me in .... Although Im going to Bath!! :frown:
Reply 27
Original post by rosie9391
I've always found clubs here are very strict with ID, and are also fussy over the form of ID (passport, or driving license/provisional only). Wristbands are sold during Freshers' Week which get you entry into offical Aberdeen uni Freshers' clubs, queue jump, and free use of the late night transport but I wouldn't advise buying one if you're under 18 and save yourself ~£35. There's plenty of events for underagers, and you'll find many flat or kitchen parties. Hillhead also has The Union Bar, which has themed night events throughout the week, and I've never actually seen them ID people so is also a popular place to go.

With regards to non-drinking activities, have a look at the 2011 Freshers' Week Entertainment Guide to give you an idea of the sort of things that go on. :smile:

Really helpful, thank you. :smile:
Reply 28
anyone know what date freshers week 2012 starts?
I'm not 18 until January, I'm the youngest in my year at school, and it's rubbish :frown: I look really old for my age though, because I'm tall, so I'm hoping I won't have too much trouble if I can get ID.

If not, an underage halls party sounds great! haha :smile:
Reply 30
I'm only 16 and doing law at Aberdeen in September . I won't be 18 till January 2014. What can I actually do at freshers week. Someone already doing law at the uni Sid if you got to clubs early before the bouncers u don't get id'd
Reply 31
I was in the same situation last year (My first year) - with my 18th at the end of December.

Don't worry about it; it'll be a bit annoying but won't stop you meeting people if you still head to predrinks/parties.

Word of warning though: The union will catch you if you try drinking while underage.

Original post by tiger5000
I'm only 16 and doing law at Aberdeen in September . I won't be 18 till January 2014. What can I actually do at freshers week. Someone already doing law at the uni Sid if you got to clubs early before the bouncers u don't get id'd

Don't count on it. Admittedly, I only tried that at Slains during freshers, but they caught on eventually and asked me to leave - but I'm sure the clubs would probably be similar.

Original post by Ocarinaoftime
Yes Scotland's equivalent to A-levels are called Highers and they are completely over the duration of a year as opposed to two. We have 6 years of high school whereas I'm sure English/Welsh students have 7?

If I hadn't taken a gap year I would also have been 17 when I started Uni but I just felt that personally I wasn't ready to make the change to uni so went for the gap year option. :P

I was going to do that, but I'm glad I didn't.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by tiger5000

You must be super brainy/clever- well done to you! :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by JAZZA007
You must be super brainy/clever- well done to you! :smile:

Thanks, im actually quite average but im in s5 and the youngest in my year :colondollar:
Reply 34
Apparently there is a way to edit a drivers license/provisional, people I know get in places in Aberdeen with this. It's definitely worth googling.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 35
Original post by Alt__x
Apparently there is a way to edit a drivers license/provisional, people I know get in places in Aberdeen with this. It's definitely worth googling.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Do you mean the 'International Driving Permit' haha?

Clubs in Edinburgh are incredibly tight and I manage to get in so hopefully I'll be fine in Aberdeen as well.

If not then it will be a long wait to my birthday in January :frown:

And I think the reason more Scottish freshers are under 18 is that our school years are made up differently, our cut off date is February whereas the in the rest of the UK its August/September? Could be wrong though lol
Reply 36
Original post by LynneM
Hi,

I've applied to study Management and Human Resources at Robert Gordon's Uni in Aberdeen:biggrin:

The course starts in september, but I'm not 18 till December!

Worried that this will make it harder to make friends and I'll miss nights out!:s-smilie:

Anyone else the same?

I'm 18 exactly a month after my course starts :frown:
I also look kinda young, and I'll need my ID all the time even when i am 18 haha
Looks like it'l be the union and flat parties for me :smile:
Reply 37
Slains Castle often won't ID you, just saying. :wink: Get some friends and go chill there.
I was 19 when I started last September.

3 of my mates hadn't turned 18 yet. The beauty about living at Hillhead is that there is always something going on because there are 5000ish students there.

There are so many people in the same situation because it's primarily Scottish students that being underage is accommodated for.
Reply 39
Original post by joaniedark
Slains Castle often won't ID you, just saying. :wink: Get some friends and go chill there.

Yeah they will. One of my friends is 20 and got asked to leave for buying a glass of coke without ID.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending