The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmm super tempted to go for one of those korean 27" 1440p monitors (I can't afford the Dell/HP/LG/Apple ones), since ebay are now offering a squaretrade warranty on some of them (3 years for £30 I think it was). I might just leave that 'til next year, since I can just keep the 22" 1080p monitor I have on the family PC for free...
Original post by mangoh
and me pls?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

PM me your email address.
Reply 1942
Original post by hassi94
Hmm super tempted to go for one of those korean 27" 1440p monitors (I can't afford the Dell/HP/LG/Apple ones), since ebay are now offering a squaretrade warranty on some of them (3 years for £30 I think it was). I might just leave that 'til next year, since I can just keep the 22" 1080p monitor I have on the family PC for free...

The Catleap ones? Been hearing good things. I'd probably get one if I had a better GPU. If you run games 1440p monitor at 1080p doesn't it look much worse than if it were natively at 1080p? Not sure. I need monies.
Original post by SMed
The Catleap ones? Been hearing good things. I'd probably get one if I had a better GPU. If you run games 1440p monitor at 1080p doesn't it look much worse than if it were natively at 1080p? Not sure. I need monies.

Yeah the catleap and similar differently-branded ones. It'd look a bit worse due to the larger screen (so lower PPI) but the same detail would all be there. I'm planning on getting a GTX 670 so that should (I'd hope) run 1440p pretty well.
Reply 1944
Original post by hassi94
Yeah the catleap and similar differently-branded ones. It'd look a bit worse due to the larger screen (so lower PPI) but the same detail would all be there. I'm planning on getting a GTX 670 so that should (I'd hope) run 1440p pretty well.

Yeah, I think a 670 will just about cover it. (you bastard) :biggrin:
On iTunes for Windows:

I just installed it on my new build, Win7 x64.

I had to manually download and install the service for Apple Mobile Devices (even though I don't have one), reboot, then install iTunes, else the installer would fail.

Still, I like the UI on iTunes and for once.... it's not slow! :lol:
Original post by mikeyd85
On iTunes for Windows:

I just installed it on my new build, Win7 x64.

I had to manually download and install the service for Apple Mobile Devices (even though I don't have one), reboot, then install iTunes, else the installer would fail.

Still, I like the UI on iTunes and for once.... it's not slow! :lol:

Yeah it's not too bad really but it does use too many resources for what it is (then again my RAM is slow as hell and my processor is severely lacking). It keeps my folders nicely organised, sync with my iPod Classic hassle-free and has a nice UI so I like to keep it around. When I get my new build there shouldn't be a problem, anyway :smile:

Odd that you had to install the service for apple mobile devices, I don't think I had to do that :s-smilie:
Original post by mangoh
lol it only... takes windows 7 64Bbit

and I assume i5/i7 if custom built?

and there you have it a non-slow iTunes

wtg Apple

Nah, it's a slightly older box I bought second hand and added to. AMD Phenom II X4 840 @3.2Ghz.

****s all over my old box running an Intel Pentium Dual Core @1.6Ghz though!

Original post by hassi94
Yeah it's not too bad really but it does use too many resources for what it is (then again my RAM is slow as hell and my processor is severely lacking). It keeps my folders nicely organised, sync with my iPod Classic hassle-free and has a nice UI so I like to keep it around. When I get my new build there shouldn't be a problem, anyway :smile:

Odd that you had to install the service for apple mobile devices, I don't think I had to do that :s-smilie:

4GB DDR3 @ 1333 seems to work! :biggrin:

It's apparently quite a common bug... :lolwut:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SMed
Yeah, I think a 670 will just about cover it. (you bastard) :biggrin:

Hehe :lol: Still think I might wait it out until early next year since I'll already be £1000 down after building the tower haha :tongue:
Original post by mikeyd85

4GB DDR3 @ 1333 seems to work! :biggrin:

Yeah I have 4GB at 400MHz :redface: - I didn't really know the importance of things like RAM speed and PSU quality etc. when buying this PC like two years ago so I went with what was cheapest with a decent graphics card/processor :tongue:

And I'm running a lowly 2.6GHz Athlon II X4 :tongue:
Reply 1950
Jesus - £1000 just for the tower... without a GPU? :lolwut:
Original post by SMed
Jesus - £1000 just for the tower... without a GPU? :lolwut:

Oh no I meant wait out for the monitor, the £1000 includes the 670 :tongue: Well it's 105 for case and psu, 75 for motherboard, 40 for RAM, 170 for processor, £200 for SSD + HDD (being hopeful that I can get a Crucial M4 for £130 come july), £300 for the GPU and then another £40-50 on assorted things (extra fans, cpu cooler, dvd drive). :smile:
Reply 1952
Original post by hassi94
Oh no I meant wait out for the monitor, the £1000 includes the 670 :tongue: Well it's 105 for case and psu, 75 for motherboard, 40 for RAM, 170 for processor, £200 for SSD + HDD (being hopeful that I can get a Crucial M4 for £130 come july), £300 for the GPU and then another £40-50 on assorted things (extra fans, cpu cooler, dvd drive). :smile:

You can probably get the M4 256GB SSD for £130 by then. The 128GBs are about £85 at the moment.
Reply 1953
Original post by mangoh
the power of technology lol

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2009902

people have too much time on their hands

Apparently you do if you found this funny enough to post in the tech society... not sure how it's relevant at all
Reply 1954
Interesting graph of OCZ Agility 3 price on Amazon.
Reply 1955
Well. I attempted to take my laptop apart today. Got halfway through, then found a key screw that I just couldn't undo. Seriously not impressed. in other news, my laptop temperature has dropped from 93 degrees average to 61 :biggrin:
Reply 1956
Did a dead mouse fall out of the heat sink?
Reply 1957
Original post by SMed
Did a dead mouse fall out of the heat sink?

not quite lol. I wish I hadn't been lazy with my maintenance. Pulled out the dvd drive, blew some air through it, chunks of dust came out the other side, not small chunks either. Weren't even visible from the outside. Still, least it works well now and won't over heat. Last two weeks it started overheating every few hours, and my room being 30 Degrees today didn't help much.
Reply 1958
Crucial M4 128GB SSDs now down to £80 delivered on ebuyer. :smile:
Samsung 830 128GB is still worth the extra dosh for faster input/output operations. Both reliable SSDs though.

Latest