The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Advice on where to get cheap uni books?

Wondering if any current students know where to get cheap books/ second hand uni books from?
Original post by JillianG
Wondering if any current students know where to get cheap books/ second hand uni books from?

The bookshop on campus has some second hand uni books, especially if its a set textbook/reader for the module (since they have a buy back scheme). Amazon or Ebay are also worth a look. Obviously depends on what subjects you're going to study, but for some of the first year modules you can get away with just borrowing the necessary books from the library :smile:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
amazon or some student unions sell them on the cheap :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by draconia_93
The bookshop on campus has some second hand uni books, especially if its a set textbook/reader for the module (since they have a buy back scheme). Amazon or Ebay are also worth a look. Obviously depends on what subjects you're going to study, but for some of the first year modules you can get away with just borrowing the necessary books from the library :smile:

Thanks that's a relief! Thought i was going to have to pay full price for all of them! :P
Thanks that's a relief! Thought i was going to have to pay full price for all of them! :P

No worries! What subjects are you going to be studying? :smile:
ebay.... i won quite a few books for cheap, in mint condition :tongue:
eBay. I got all my books for this year for £1.96 each inc postage :proud:
Reply 7
Original post by Indian_Prince
ebay.... i won quite a few books for cheap, in mint condition :tongue:

Thank you, will try there :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Sakura-Chan
eBay. I got all my books for this year for £1.96 each inc postage :proud:

Wow!! Thats' amazing!! aren't they normally like £50? :O what a bargain!

yeh keep an eye out because they come and go quite often :tongue:
Reply 10
No worries! What subjects are you going to be studying? :smile:

Marine biology :smile: what are you studying? :smile:
Marine biology :smile: what are you studying? :smile:

History, Politics and Education - just finished first year :biggrin: I wouldn't say that you'd desperately need a book for Marine Biology - they'll probably have copies of the textbooks in the library :smile:
Reply 12
History, Politics and Education - just finished first year :biggrin: I wouldn't say that you'd desperately need a book for Marine Biology - they'll probably have copies of the textbooks in the library :smile:

Ah ace thanks! :smile:

Do you recommend any textbooks for History? Might be cheaper if i search for them on ebay before uni actually starts :smile:
Original post by Chelsea0005
Do you recommend any textbooks for History? Might be cheaper if i search for them on ebay before uni actually starts :smile:

To be honest, there's no point really buying any set textbooks for History in first year unless you have an interest in a particular area. You can find several copies of pretty much all the books in the library anyway - I bought 2 "essential" books and barely used them! I'd only recommend buying them if they're cheap on amazon, since some of them tend to just give an overview of the time period, rather than going into depth.

Assuming you're planning to study the standard History course rather than Scottish History? If so, I can have a look and see if I can recommend anything and try to give you a more useful, detailed reply :smile: (I'll be back on sunday so can't do it before then I'm afraid!)
To be honest, there's no point really buying any set textbooks for History in first year unless you have an interest in a particular area. You can find several copies of pretty much all the books in the library anyway - I bought 2 "essential" books and barely used them! I'd only recommend buying them if they're cheap on amazon, since some of them tend to just give an overview of the time period, rather than going into depth.

Assuming you're planning to study the standard History course rather than Scottish History? If so, I can have a look and see if I can recommend anything and try to give you a more useful, detailed reply :smile: (I'll be back on sunday so can't do it before then I'm afraid!)

I'd probably like to get some anyway, i'd probably read them out of interest! Yeah i'm doing the standard History course. That'd be great, thanks!x
Amazon FTW!
Reply 17
Amazon is the no brainer answer... They have two cool programs where you get good discounts, free extremely quick shipping and a good return on selling used books back. The first is Amazon Prime which is my favorite but cost a bit por year... But they have Amazon Student where is free to enrolled and there is a great variety of used books with accurate condition descriptions so I recommend you check it out http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info?ie=UTF8&refcust=IAJUY67HCFYFYYNMS3J7L3UYJE&ref_type=generic

Waterstones have a market place where secondhand books are sold. I got an £80 anatomy book for £15. The cover was a mess but inside was like new.

Never used it much though :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good suggestions from various people, but as a 3rd year I would honestly stress, just use the library if you possibly can! My library even has an e-book service so there's no need to go down. You probably will honestly not use them for more than a week or so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending