The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hamza7
So I have a question .. what kind of martial arts is the best for self defence. I've considered taking some martial arts classes just for self defence, you never know I mean. And obviously a week of training won't turn me into Steven Seagal. So how long is someone supposed to train for to be able to take care of him/herself?

And I'm not sure if height/weight has anything to do with it but I'm pretty big

They are all good really, just do some research and see what you think you would like better, a striking martial art like boxing or thai boxing. Or a grappling martial art like BJJ. I would stay away from things like karate, kung fu or TKD unless you can find a proper dojo with a good teacher that allows full contact sparring. In my opinion taking someone to the floor in a street fight isn't the best idea in the world. I would recommend boxing or thai boxing but I'm not biased or anything...

Well once you learn to punch properly and defend against punches you will probably be able to handle yourself against any random guy who hasn't done any kind of martial arts before. I think it's more about conditioning your body to be able to take hits that is important.
Reply 1441
Whats up guys!

Im starting uni in Sept and want to get ripped in my spare time. Health, confidence and attractive body bein the mean reasons :P

I used to got to the gym a few times a week but would get bored after a while as i didn't have an end goal. This time round i would like to take up a martial art so i will have some inititive to keep training by meeting people and learning something new.

Any advice on where to start? i.e different styles and why. Im really open and am considering anything. I have even thought about kick boxing Id like something that will give me some all round skill or in other words make me a hard mutha hubbard :biggrin:
Original post by DWC
Whats up guys!

Im starting uni in Sept and want to get ripped in my spare time. Health, confidence and attractive body bein the mean reasons :P

I used to got to the gym a few times a week but would get bored after a while as i didn't have an end goal. This time round i would like to take up a martial art so i will have some inititive to keep training by meeting people and learning something new.

Any advice on where to start? i.e different styles and why. Im really open and am considering anything. I have even thought about kick boxing Id like something that will give me some all round skill or in other words make me a hard mutha hubbard :biggrin:

Kickboxing is a good idea. Something competition based should definitely be what you should look for since there will be a lot of emphasis on cardio. It'll also give you motivation to train outside of kickboxing classes if you do get into a position where you could compete. I mean, I do the vast majority of my cardio outside of martial arts and have the motivation to keep going for longer than just to look nice.
anyone here know of any great shorinji kempo, krav maga and hapkido places in north and west (central) london?
Hey guys, Im a bit of a KUNG FU and Martial Arts freak. :smile: Anyone going to the "Martial Arts Show Live 2012" tomorow at the NEC? Can't wait, already bought the tickets like 4 weeks ago. :smile: You get free entry to the MMA show live, but I think I will stick to the oriental styles more than westernized MMA.

Jiraya.
Original post by zosolobos0
anyone here know of any great shorinji kempo, krav maga and hapkido places in north and west (central) london?

I used to train in Shorinji Kempo.

Mayfair, West London seems to fit into your designated location area: http://www.bskf.org/index.php?content=venues&branch=19
Why do these threads always turn into arguments?
I do Muay Thai and BJJ. And ive always admired the judokas. Their sport is amazing.
But the judokas who criticize bjj are wrong, because you may throw a bjj practitioner to the ground, but in most rules, other than judo, this is not a win (or ippon), the fight keeps going, and it is most likely from a ground fight, that a skilled bjj practitioner would be the winner. That being said, the initial throw carries a huge impact...
So both sports are equally great.
Original post by Paperhouse
I do Muay Thai and BJJ. And ive always admired the judokas. Their sport is amazing.
But the judokas who criticize bjj are wrong, because you may throw a bjj practitioner to the ground, but in most rules, other than judo, this is not a win (or ippon), the fight keeps going, and it is most likely from a ground fight, that a skilled bjj practitioner would be the winner. That being said, the initial throw carries a huge impact...

Me why not do a bit of both? I started some Muay Thai a while ago (only got a years training in) to supplement my boxing. I've got years of Judo from when I was younger, beyond rusty now I wager, but I can definitely see how BJJ would help.

One of the reasons I've never really taken up BJJ is that my Judo school had a large emphasis on submissions and groundwork too...and I got pwned pretty hard for like three years straight. :tongue: You never get over a girl smaller than you somehow managing to repeatedly armbar or triangle you when you're a lad.

Plus the cost is always up there, saying that if I was able to I'd happily do it now.
Original post by Paperhouse

Umm, who are the Judoka that are disrespecting Jiujiteiros? None in this thread that I've seen, and I'd consider myself both.

In a sport match a throw will not win except in Judo, Sambo, Freestyle and Greco-Roman Wrestling. In a street fight an Osoto Gari will crack your skull open (almost all Judo deaths have been from Osoto Gari, and it's certainly the first throw I'd use if attacked - on a person with no knowledge of ukemi, with no real experience of taking a throw, Osoto Gari would probably be lethal 95% of the time), an Osoto Makikomi will quite literally shatter your ribcage, a Kubi Nage will break your neck, and a Harai Goshi will quite possibly break your back. The fight would be over instantly the vast majority of the time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey,
I'm a martial artist, or say was....
Trained since i was young but can't go any further as I'm going to uni this September and it gets in the way of my training for my next step up (n)
Original post by Einheri
Umm, who are the Judoka that are disrespecting Jiujiteiros? None in this thread that I've seen, and I'd consider myself both.

In a sport match a throw will not win except in Judo, Sambo, Freestyle and Greco-Roman Wrestling. In a street fight an Osoto Gari will crack your skull open (almost all Judo deaths have been from Osoto Gari, and it's certainly the first throw I'd use if attacked - on a person with no knowledge of ukemi, with no real experience of taking a throw, Osoto Gari would probably be lethal 95% of the time), an Osoto Makikomi will quite literally shatter your ribcage, a Kubi Nage will break your neck, and a Harai Goshi will quite possibly break your back. The fight would be over instantly the vast majority of the time.

I think it depends on how hard you go. No one should try to kill the person they are throwing in a real life situation unless their life is seriously threatened. Better to use control and bring them to the ground gently and then choke them unconscious. Seriously, the choke is the ultimate self-defence technique. Safe for both people and the person choked out doesn't remember how it happened haha.
Original post by Amy Atmore
Hey,
I'm a martial artist, or say was....
Trained since i was young but can't go any further as I'm going to uni this September and it gets in the way of my training for my next step up (n)

Most universities will have loads of martial arts with facilities to practice in? I practised martial artist before university once a week for five years. Now I go four times a week for literally 1/4 of the cost.
Original post by Dr. Bassman
I think it depends on how hard you go. No one should try to kill the person they are throwing in a real life situation unless their life is seriously threatened. Better to use control and bring them to the ground gently and then choke them unconscious.

Seriously, the choke is the ultimate self-defence technique. Safe for both people and the person choked out doesn't remember how it happened haha.

If someone attacks me I'm going to hurt them; very, very badly.
Original post by RobertWhite
Most universities will have loads of martial arts with facilities to practice in? I practised martial artist before university once a week for five years. Now I go four times a week for literally 1/4 of the cost.

That's not too bad then, I wan't to get my next grade that's all and even go onto an instructor programme
Original post by Einheri
If someone attacks me I'm going to hurt them; very, very badly.

Great, good for you. Just don't expect the law to care very much for that. Simple fact is that you shouldn't try to seriously harm your attacker unless you're seriously threatened because you could end up doing real damage and get in trouble.
Original post by Dr. Bassman
Great, good for you. Just don't expect the law to care very much for that. Simple fact is that you shouldn't try to seriously harm your attacker unless you're seriously threatened because you could end up doing real damage and get in trouble.

Better that than potentially being killed. If someone is attacking me I have to assume the worst intentions, that is the intention to kill me, on their part simply for my own safety. I don't think it's a victim's responsibility to protect their attacker.
That's not too bad then, I wan't to get my next grade that's all and even go onto an instructor programme

What martial art do you do? I'm captain on the Shaolin Kung Fu society and I have no emphasise on achieving any kind of 'grade'. It's probably because I do Kung Fu and traditionally, there is no grade system. You shouldn't worry about belts and stuff. We become instructors by proving our abilities without them. I personally have never liked belt systems - I agree it allows the instructors to know where people are at, but it shouldn't stop you making the transition to another martial art!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
Better that than potentially being killed. If someone is attacking me I have to assume the worst intentions, that is the intention to kill me, on their part simply for my own safety. I don't think it's a victim's responsibility to protect their attacker.

It is, unfortunately. I'm not saying you're a terrible person for using these moves to protect yourself. I'm just saying that if you end up killing a guy or disabling him because he attacked you, you can get into serious trouble. It's worth bearing that in mind. Personally, I only feel really threatened if the person has a weapon or there's more than one of them. If it's just one on one I'm going to clinch up, get them down as quickly and (preferably) safely as possible and then choke them unconscious.
Original post by RobertWhite
What martial art do you do? I'm captain on the Shaolin Kung Fu society and I have no emphasise on achieving any kind of 'grade'. It's probably because I do Kung Fu and traditionally, there is no grade system. You shouldn't worry about belts and stuff. We become instructors by proving our abilities without them. I personally have never liked belt systems - I agree it allows the instructors to know where people are at, but it shouldn't stop you making the transition to another martial art!

I trained in traditional Tae Kwon-Do where there is a belt system, I've been waiting 7 years to get to the age where I can go for 4th Dan Black belt. I also had the opportunity to become an instructor but at the time I was still in college so I had to priorities everything.
I trained in traditional Tae Kwon-Do where there is a belt system, I've been waiting 7 years to get to the age where I can go for 4th Dan Black belt. I also had the opportunity to become an instructor but at the time I was still in college so I had to priorities everything.

4th dan already!? How long have you been doing it for? :eek:

And, I'm sure you can get the belts at university pretty quickly for tae kwon do if you're that good?

Quick Reply

Latest