The Student Room Group

Higher French 2012

How did everyone find Higher french today? :smile:

I thought the reading and translation was good and so was the listening and essay, was just the directed writing that threw me a little for some reason.

Was it just me, or was the topic of the reading paper quite moving?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i thought the reading was lovely, and actually enjoyed reading it, i agree it was moving!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm the same! Although I thought parts of the listening were a little difficult.. Listening essay was good though :smile: The directed writing was strange, there weren't as many chances to speak about the usual stuff.. Travelling, what you did etc, it threw me aswell! :confused:
Reply 3
I found the translation quite hard, some words weren't in my dictionary do I kind of guessed some of it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
I found the reading, translation and directed writing really good. however I found some of the listening more tricky and wasn't sure where to go with my essay really!
Reply 5
Translation, reading as directed writing was brilliant - I did an essay like that last week. Then the listening and other essay were horrible.

Reply 6
Original post by hannah94xx
I found the reading, translation and directed writing really good. however I found some of the listening more tricky and wasn't sure where to go with my essay really!

I was lucky i managed to re-write a few parts of my speaking test for the short essay.
Reply 7
Original post by aroy45
Translation, reading as directed writing was brilliant - I did an essay like that last week. Then the listening and other essay were horrible.

I agree with this!
Reply 8
I have higher italian tomorrow so i hope that exam will be sort of similar if not better! The SQA really know how to mess up exam dates!
Reply 9
Does any one have a copy of solutions for the reading and listening papers?
I thought everything went quite well, but though the opinions essays was quite limited on what I could talk about. Oh well, no more exams!!! :biggrin:
I thought both papers in general were a lot better than I expected. The reading I'm normally okay with and today I found it fine, I did realise I'd mis-translated one or two words in the break between papers but let's hope that doesn't mess my mark up too much.

I think the directed writing was a lot better than other past papers because it was easier to ensure you were answering all the bullet points since two parts of them were basically just stating numbers. Although I couldn't remember how to say 'older' in French for the very end part, eventually got it after I sat there for a good five minutes. Thank god I finished early! The 'free writing' as we call it I loved since that's what my speaking exam was on and I found the listening average with a few tricky parts. Overall not too bad, fingers crossed!
I actually found the reading quite hard :confused: The listening was difficult too as always but it was doable I thought. Whilst I don't know why, but the reading just totally threw me off. The directed writing was just plain weird, but I made most of it. :smile: I ended up saying that I worked as a footballer so I could get my usual 'what did you do in your spare time?' phrases in. :biggrin: As for older, I just used in the future instead. :smile:

The listening essay was lovely though. It was just amazing and I genuinely enjoyed writing it. :smile:

I think that I'll get full marks for both my essays (25) and added on with my speaking (25) I only need 20/50 from the reading and listening combined. I really hope I've managed to scrape that... At the least, I think I'll get 10/20 for the reading comprehension, 5/10 for the translation and 5/20 for the listening. Hopefully. :colondollar:
I mistranslated a few words in the first part of the translation, but the rest was okay. Overall, it was a fairly nice paper! :smile:
Reply 13
I thought reading was good and directed writing was okay. translation had some bits which caught me though so i think ive got about 5/10 for that hopefully! Listening was a disaster for me though, couldnt tune my ear into it at all. Short essay was a blessing though! Does anyone have any way of putting up the answers for the paper?
Reply 14
Original post by Quick-use
I actually found the reading quite hard :confused: The listening was difficult too as always but it was doable I thought. Whilst I don't know why, but the reading just totally threw me off. The directed writing was just plain weird, but I made most of it. :smile: I ended up saying that I worked as a footballer so I could get my usual 'what did you do in your spare time?' phrases in. :biggrin: As for older, I just used in the future instead. :smile:

The listening essay was lovely though. It was just amazing and I genuinely enjoyed writing it. :smile:

I think that I'll get full marks for both my essays (25) and added on with my speaking (25) I only need 20/50 from the reading and listening combined. I really hope I've managed to scrape that... At the least, I think I'll get 10/20 for the reading comprehension, 5/10 for the translation and 5/20 for the listening. Hopefully. :colondollar:

Phew! At least I wasn't the only one who found the reading quite hard!

Original post by Scrabble96

I agree, the beginning was quite hard. However, I felt that it got easier once you got into it. Directed Writing was a bummer,only had 2 sentences for a job scenario, so had to improvise,a lot.
I found the Listening really hard! The essay was okay and the reading wasn't to tricky alothough I stumbled a few times.

I thought the DW went well but my friend said I should have written it in the perfect tense and not the imperfect :frown:
Is this true? Will I fail it for not writing in the correct tense?
Original post by SamanthaHadden
I found the Listening really hard! The essay was okay and the reading wasn't to tricky alothough I stumbled a few times.

I thought the DW went well but my friend said I should have written it in the perfect tense and not the imperfect :frown:
Is this true? Will I fail it for not writing in the correct tense?

You won't fail. Also, using different tenses depends on what you're saying exactly; maybe she was being specific with the time, but you weren't so you used the imperfect. :smile:
Original post by Scrabble96

Original post by animelover123
I agree, the beginning was quite hard. However, I felt that it got easier once you got into it. Directed Writing was a bummer,only had 2 sentences for a job scenario, so had to improvise,a lot.

The beginning was seriously hard! Who knows what I'll get for the reading now. :confused:
Reply 19
Any answers for anything would be awesome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending