The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amyshamblesxx
First test - for some stupid reason I put the car into neutral when I was waiting at some traffic lights, went to pull away and the car rolled back so the examiner dual braked me. Think I got 3 minors on that test.

Second test - 5 minors, and a major for driving on a dual carriageway when it had been raining so the roads were wet and I left the normal amount of stopping distance instead of a bit extra to account for the wet roads

Third test - my instructor wanted to come with me to try and assess where I was going wrong, I'd never driven with someone in the back before and I stalled twice when I tried to pull away at a junction, the examiner said "remember you've got extra weight in the car" and it made me feel really anxious throughout the test, ended up stalling two more times over the course of the test so that got me a major.. think I had 6 minors on that aswell.

I think I keep failing because of silly mistakes due to nerves so I'm just going to have to try and calm down and relax next time, it is hard though.

& yeah totally gutted about the Champions League, ah well Europa here we come...

Unlucky.

In your next test just remember to always get into gear one whenever you stop at traffic lights etc. When you are about to move forward, apply the gas and you will not stall (if you hear the engine dying then apply more gas before the car stalls.) I know you probably already know this and it is simply nerves however, nerves which are not managed probably (used to your advantage and turned into a kind of adrenaline) can quickly cause you to forget the basics. Judging by what you have said, I would not take your examiner along on your next test. The test is not that hard because you are clearly ready for the test because you would not be taking it if you weren't. It is all down to you bringing your confidence and leaving your nerves at home. Do not give up, the feeling you get when the examiners says "congratulations you have passed" is not describable. It's true that you really learn to drive once you pass and are on the roads on your own.

Love your sig by the way and I'm sure Harry will do well in the Europa League and PL next season.
Reply 81
Wish I didn't have to post here haha :frown: failed first time! Oh well, not feeling so bad about it now, going to rebook it soon and hopefully pass next time :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by pinda.college
Hrash because I bet most (not all) drivers would have stopped and allowed the pedestrians to cross.
Think about it. The pedestrians are safely and happily waiting on the pavement waiting for the green man / beeps. The lights are green for traffic. Is it correct and proper to stop at a green light? What does the driver of the heavy lorry behind you think about that? Will he be expecting you to stop suddenly? Worst case scenario: what if you confused (or waved) the pedestrians into walking out, only to be run over by the other lane of traffic who are proceeding on green?

It's a test. You are demonstrating to an examiner that you know the rules of the road for 40 minutes. If you stop at green lights, you're not going to do your chances any favours. It's a bit like turning right from left lanes or doing 40 in a 30; it's just plain wrong.

Original post by nooneyouknow
Wow that's so harsh! I would've thought that was a minor at most it's like they're teaching you to be a rude driver. Good luck next time!
It's not harsh if the driver's actions are totally incorrect. Examiners have to assess what they see, and stopping at green is about as far from the defined outcome as it's possible to get. Green lights mean go (if safe) and it's not "rude" to act on them. The pedestrians will get their chance to cross when the lights change. A driver fault (or "minor" as people seem to call it) may have been recorded for unduly slowing at green, then realising and rectifying the error before coming to a halt.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
I failed my test today =(
And this being Norway, each test sets you back a hefty 400£...So I feel really bad right now.
Reply 84
Failed for the second time today due to my speed and positioning :frown:
Original post by Clarkeful
Failed my test 2 days ago at 12:06 @ Kings Heath
At the first island lol crazy i know

Booked my next test at south yardley at10:14 this time

Kings Heath, Northampton?
Failed 1st time today, really disappointed with myself. I've been driving perfectly for months before my test and first part of the test went well... I just made little stupid mistakes that I have never done during my lessons and from then on my nerves got the better of me and kept making lots more stupid mistakes, got 15 minors :frown:
so my advice to others is to not let nerves get to you, and move on from any mistakes... if I did this I probs would've passed :/ haha xx
I failed my first test today :frown: I only got four minors but I got two majors. I got really nervous when doing my manoeuvre and I had to reserve around a round corner, but I thought it was a sharp corner so I ended up going on the curb. The other time I thought it was a 20 zone but it wasn't even though there was a school so I presumed it must be one...So both my fault, hopefully the next time!
Original post by ermafl
I failed my test today =(
And this being Norway, each test sets you back a hefty 400£...So I feel really bad right now.

400 quid???!! :eek: wow, better luck next time! What did you fail on?
Reply 89
guys i failed my 3rd driving test for stopping on an amber light which was going to red, my 4th because a lorry hadnt cleared a juntion when i turned into it...debatable is all i can say on that one - going to wait til my exams are out of the way then hopefully 5th time lucky ( i doubt it)
Reply 90
Failed my first driving test for not looking right at a mini roundabout, a car was oncoming and the examiner put his foot on the break. I'm actually gutted at my own stupidity...it was the worst I have ever driven in my life! I have no clue why I didn't look.
Original post by Valentiine
Failed my first driving test for not looking right at a mini roundabout, a car was oncoming and the examiner put his foot on the break. I'm actually gutted at my own stupidity...it was the worst I have ever driven in my life! I have no clue why I didn't look.

Almost exactly how I failed my first test except I was coming out of a junction :s-smilie: Sorry that it happened to you do :frown:
Reply 92
I just failed my first test.

1 major (undue hesitation at a roundabout) and 14 minors (mainly hesitation & brakes??)

I'm not too gutted, we went on a route i was totally unfamiliar with but hey ho that's life..
Reply 93
Original post by rachbeanz
11 minors and 4 majors , I've been having 2 hour lessons once a week for one year!!!

I feel your pain!!!
Reply 94
Original post by amyshamblesxx
400 quid???!! :eek: wow, better luck next time! What did you fail on?

Thank you =) I've gotten over it all now, with the pretty weather and all!
Ehm I suppose I went a teensie bit too fast here and there... But then the examinator was a real b**ch and in one way I feel she was being a bit harsh on me.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"
- Winston Churchill

Old Winston has quotes perfectly suited for every occasion. Period.
Original post by ermafl
Thank you =) I've gotten over it all now, with the pretty weather and all!
Ehm I suppose I went a teensie bit too fast here and there... But then the examinator was a real b**ch and in one way I feel she was being a bit harsh on me.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"
- Winston Churchill

Old Winston has quotes perfectly suited for every occasion. Period.

Definitely suited in my case, I've failed 3 times so far!
Reply 96
Original post by CMPUNK
Not trying to play the race card but i think he was quite racist he didn't like me from the start.

Make your mind up! 13 minors for Mirrors ,you can't use your mirrors properly, practise it before you get seriously hurt.
Reply 97
Original post by thompsonic7
I just failed my 3rd test- got 1 minor for indicating off mini roundabouts (which is totally subjective as any other instructor would have minor'd me for not indicating, 3 for hesitation- but he didn't mark it as serious- and 1 major for getting mixed up between zebra and pelican crossings- I stopped at a pelican to let pedestrians cross when I shouldn't have.
Very frustrated as it was a stupid mistake.

Just to clarify - when you say you got zebra and pelican crossings confused, did you stop at a green traffic light to let pedestrians across?
Original post by FXX
Just to clarify - when you say you got zebra and pelican crossings confused, did you stop at a green traffic light to let pedestrians across?

Yep. Completely idiotic I know- I'm not disputing that I shouldn't have failed.

As we approached I saw pedestrians either side and all I could think was 'you fail if you don't stop for them'- which obviously only applies to zebra crossings but with test nerves I completely forgot!
Reply 99
Failed first time today :frown: 4 minors and one major for observation. I thought it went really well but apparently I didn't look both ways at one junction which I am sure I did but I obviously didn't exaggerate it enough. Feel horrible :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending