The Student Room Group

Is it worth going back to university just to get a 2.1.....?

Honestly, I am at my wit's end trying to work out what to do now. Basically, I got a 2.2 in my Economics degree and finding it nigh on impossible to get a job. Before you say, your fault for getting a 2.2, I know it is, I didn't enjoy uni and wasn't very happy and found it incredibly difficult to live with my housemates who were very disrespectful and I kind of let them drag me down, rest of them either dropped out or got 2.2's and joined the army, went abroad etc.

Anyway, I got decent A levels, A in Maths and decent GCSE's, and I seem to have the UCAS points. Obviously Economics is a pretty challenging course and first time round, I found it difficult to apply myself due to everything. But I was thinking of perhaps doing something a bit easier but also applying myself like Business as it seems silly to do the same degree.

I have been trying to get ACA accounting trainee positions and think I could pass, even though it would be tough. I know a lot of people who are older and got 2.2's and are successful but obv in this current job climate, its incredibly difficult.

I am 25 now and graduated in 2008 and have been getting various admin office contracts since without being able to do the ACA. I was wondering if perhaps I should start the exams myself? But that would be even worse if I did the exams and still couldnt get a job, spending 5k in the process. Also, I took CISI banking/stockbroking exams and passed them for 2k and couldn't get a job in that. Obviously you generally need a 2.1 to get on to Masters.

I'm just losing my mind as am currently unemployed after finishing last contract a few weeks ago and literally unable to sleep due to my regrets from uni and worrying about the future. Cheers for any advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Original post by hiding12
bump

If you upload your CV to the CV Help forum I'll take a look and see if I can come up with any suggestions.
Reply 3
in the current job climate it may well be worth trying to do another degree to a giher standard but youll have to pay for it out of your own pocket so if you can do that then theres no reason why not :smile:
Reply 4
Have you got a spare 50k laying around for this 2nd degree? (Party at yours, sorted!!) Which Uni did you get your drinkers degree from brah? AAT is a possibility, though I do see a few Trainee accountant jobs requiring 2:2's.

Edit: Also ACA (which is the best) requires on the job training/assessment, so you would need to find a company for this, think it's 2 years worth. You can do ACCA exams off your own back though, Champ.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Lamps08
Have you got a spare 50k laying around for this 2nd degree? (Party at yours, sorted!!) Which Uni did you get your drinkers degree from brah? AAT is a possibility, though I do see a few Trainee accountant jobs requiring 2:2's.

Edit: Also ACA (which is the best) requires on the job training/assessment, so you would need to find a company for this, think it's 2 years worth. You can do ACCA exams off your own back though, Champ.

No I certainly dont have a spare 50k lying about which is why Im obviously thinking its not a great idea but if it gives me better prospects than it might be worth it. Im a lot more confident than I was at uni and see these people who I feel atleast as capable as. I can do ACA I think as well but yes I need 3 years work experience as well. Went to top 20 uni
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
If you upload your CV to the CV Help forum I'll take a look and see if I can come up with any suggestions.

ok thanks, I think I do need to improve it in some ways, went to careers consultation and they said was good but I think it needs to be more 'puncy.' Have you got a link for that?
Reply 7
No I certainly dont have a spare 50k lying about which is why Im obviously thinking its not a great idea but if it gives me better prospects than it might be worth it. Im a lot more confident than I was at uni and see these people who I feel atleast as capable as. I can do ACA I think as well but yes I need 3 years work experience as well. Went to top 20 uni

If you don't have the spare cash lying around you won't be able to do it. You won't get any help from Student finance - e.g - you're course fees, likely to be £9,000k a year will have to be funded independently and paid for before you start your course. Then you'll have to accommodate and feed yourself too.
Reply 8
Honestly, I am at my wit's end trying to work out what to do now. Basically, I got a 2.2 in my Economics degree and finding it nigh on impossible to get a job. Before you say, your fault for getting a 2.2, I know it is, I didn't enjoy uni and wasn't very happy and found it incredibly difficult to live with my housemates who were very disrespectful and I kind of let them drag me down, rest of them either dropped out or got 2.2's and joined the army, went abroad etc.

Anyway, I got decent A levels, A in Maths and decent GCSE's, and I seem to have the UCAS points. Obviously Economics is a pretty challenging course and first time round, I found it difficult to apply myself due to everything. But I was thinking of perhaps doing something a bit easier but also applying myself like Business as it seems silly to do the same degree.

I have been trying to get ACA accounting trainee positions and think I could pass, even though it would be tough. I know a lot of people who are older and got 2.2's and are successful but obv in this current job climate, its incredibly difficult.

I am 25 now and graduated in 2008 and have been getting various admin office contracts since without being able to do the ACA. I was wondering if perhaps I should start the exams myself? But that would be even worse if I did the exams and still couldnt get a job, spending 5k in the process. Also, I took CISI banking/stockbroking exams and passed them for 2k and couldn't get a job in that. Obviously you generally need a 2.1 to get on to Masters.

I'm just losing my mind as am currently unemployed after finishing last contract a few weeks ago and literally unable to sleep due to my regrets from uni and worrying about the future. Cheers for any advice

Try doing ACA yourself, there should be some colleges which give support, but obviously it costs. Another way into larger businesses, it building my a few years worth of experience at a small firm.
Reply 9
Original post by shezshez
If you don't have the spare cash lying around you won't be able to do it. You won't get any help from Student finance - e.g - you're course fees, likely to be £9,000k a year will have to be funded independently and paid for before you start your course. Then you'll have to accommodate and feed yourself too.

oh right, I can't get another student loan?
Reply 10
You could do a university of london external course for a lot less money... Your independent study skills would need to be high but if you're not interested in reliving 'the student experience' it's an option.
Reply 11
It is possible to get onto some Masters courses with a 2:2, if there is anything in particular that interests you it might be worth checking out, maybe even through the Open University and you could work part-time which would help financially. I'm afraid I don't know much about the Economics / finance world, but I'm pretty sure that with some other graduate schemes they ask for either a 2:1, or a 2:2 with a Masters degree. I have a friend who just graduated from Cambridge with a Masters degree and got onto that with a 2:2 in her undergrad, so don't lose hope!

Not for a second degree.
Reply 13

Inb4 OP needs to change his name to Noob.
Reply 14
Original post by ellathecat
if money's your problem then you could go abroad to a university that doesn't have tuition fees. obvs moving abroad would be a big change, but it might be a very rewarding experience if you're up for it.

Do these countries abroad have their own currencies though?
Reply 15
Original post by Lamps08
Inb4 OP needs to change his name to Noob.

lol, I didn't think I could. Prob should have already researched that
Reply 16
Original post by kf289
It is possible to get onto some Masters courses with a 2:2, if there is anything in particular that interests you it might be worth checking out, maybe even through the Open University and you could work part-time which would help financially. I'm afraid I don't know much about the Economics / finance world, but I'm pretty sure that with some other graduate schemes they ask for either a 2:1, or a 2:2 with a Masters degree. I have a friend who just graduated from Cambridge with a Masters degree and got onto that with a 2:2 in her undergrad, so don't lose hope!

oh right, do you know what she did? I suppose its partially cos I want the 'uni experience' as well so prob not a good idea.
Reply 17
lol, I didn't think I could. Prob should have already researched that

Have you looked at AAT? It starts out at a fairly noob-ish level but gets you some(?) exemptions for the ACA exams... Again, you can look to find a company to sponsor you, though it should be significantly easier than doing it for ACA. You could probably complete it in less than 2 years. Levels 2&3 are supposedly a breeze and Level 4 is equivalent to a diploma and you become an Accounts Technician.
oh right, do you know what she did? I suppose its partially cos I want the 'uni experience' as well so prob not a good idea.

You want the uni experience AGAIN? I can't fathom why you would want that, shouldn't your priority be making yourself employable to get the job you want? Not to live the life of a student once again.
Reply 19
Original post by Lamps08
Have you looked at AAT? It starts out at a fairly noob-ish level but gets you some(?) exemptions for the ACA exams... Again, you can look to find a company to sponsor you, though it should be significantly easier than doing it for ACA. You could probably complete it in less than 2 years. Levels 2&3 are supposedly a breeze and Level 4 is equivalent to a diploma and you become an Accounts Technician.

yeh I have, I would get one or two exemptions from my degree but the AAT trainee positions I have applied for say I'm overqualified and they normally go or A level students so Im stuck between too overqualified this and underqualified for grad positions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending