The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FadeToBlackout
3 weeks in school (teaching 80%), a half-term "break" that'll probably be spent redoing an essay, and a week in the Faculty, then I'm free.

Got to sort out some form of job, also. I've (whisper it) applied for a job that's really suitable to my experience and personality, but not teaching- working with troubled and disadvantaged 9-13 year olds, and trying to re-engage them in their local community. Had two really good interviews, and just waiting to hear back from it, now.

In the mean time, more job applications- need to finish one off tonight- and planning. I've planned 6 of my 15 lessons for next week, just didn't get as much done this weekend as I wanted, despite spending about 10 hours planning :frown: Oh well, the stuff I've got is pretty good, and I think I've got the differentiation right for my numeracy which is a particularly big target.

Oh, and I'm also getting very annoyed at Gove. All my knowledge of the National Curriculum that I'm currently building up will be completely useless very soon!

Only 5 weeks then. That's good. :smile:

My life:
2 weeks [80% teachtime].
Half term [partly spent in university, partly spent writing my last essay - deadline is the Wed of half term].
1 week [80% teachtime].
2 weeks [enhancement in school - I want to spend it in EYFS].
1 week in university.

Ticking off the days lol. :redface:

Good luck on the job front. I hope you get it. :smile:
As I've said on here before, I don't want to be a teacher and I don't want to apply for teaching jobs. I've got four adverts saved that I want to apply for. One is for a travel company. One is for an estate agent. One is doing student support at a university. The other is HR based lol. Anything but teaching. :redface:

All my planning is done for next week. Just got the resources/flipcharts to make during the week [which is the time consuming bit lol]. Also got my foundation stuff planned for the week after. I had intended on doing all my planning for this week and next today, but that didn't happen lol. It never does lol!
Original post by affinity89
I had intended on doing all my planning for this week and next today, but that didn't happen lol. It never does lol!

If I got done everything I wanted to, I could go to the pub every single day. As it is....
Well, I'm having an interesting night. Completely my own fault but there we are.

In a nutshell, I did some "planned procrastination" because I basically hibernated yesterday (man was that needed), and today I went out for a walk with a teacher in the department and the language assistant (again, also very much needed from a 'mental health' point of view'). And now it's 10.40pm and this is the situation:

1 lesson out of 4 tomorrow is prepared. Well, mostly- I may have to wing the last 10 minutes or so.
One other lesson is planned out but still needs all of the stuff making (and I will probably change my mind about it at some point while I'm doing that)
The third is prepared, but only because it's the naughty class I have to throw worksheets at and hope they'll finish them.
And as for the fourth, I've spent SO LONG thinking about what to do and haven't even got as far as an idea yet.

Completely my own fault, I know. But wanted to moan somewhere anyway.
I always get up mega early if that ever happens to me Noodles! Much less distractions going on at 5am! :tongue: It takes me half the time to do things in the AM!

3 weeks to go, so close but yet so far!
Original post by balloon_parade
I always get up mega early if that ever happens to me Noodles! Much less distractions going on at 5am! :tongue: It takes me half the time to do things in the AM!

5am is my normal wake up time so no use there :frown:

Ironically, the lesson I was least sure about and prepared for went the best today :rolleyes:
Woo, passed all my masters level assignments, officially passed the academic side of my course (with much better grades than I thought!:cool:) just the placement now, it's the home straight people! Flipping heck, how did we get here?

I still do this now, 2 years after qualifying :tongue:

a whole half a term and 2 weeks to go :tongue:
Reply 1227
Hi,
I am about to start a PGCE in September and I'm unsure what to do about my Part-time job? Have any of you kept your jobs or do you think I'll struggle?
Original post by Becki_22
Hi,
I am about to start a PGCE in September and I'm unsure what to do about my Part-time job? Have any of you kept your jobs or do you think I'll struggle?

I really think you'll struggle. For me the teacher training year was like studying alongside a full time job...
Hi,

There are a couple of people I know with jobs, but I don't think they work regularly- one works in a supermarket for a couple of hours on a Saturday, and the other was a shift manager at KFC before she started the course so she's on the book still and does the odd shift on a weekend if she doesn't have too much on, or during the holidays.

But I couldn't even begin to contemplate having another job! My time is split into actively working on the PGCE and trying to avoid thinking about it enough to relax- no time for other work!
Hi,

Depends how many shifts you'd be expected to do and whether you could cut down when you are on placement? I couldn't imagine having a long day at school and then going to work, but if it is only a shift once a week (say a Saturday) then I think it would be do-able! It just means you'd have to make sure you were super organised and pushed the school/uni work you would have done when you were working somewhere else. (like getting up at 5am...boohoo!)
hey guys! :smile:

Any ideas for themes for a year 7 poetry unit? War? Culture? Anything different? Some poems which would also go with the theme?
What to focus on?

Any ideas greatly appreciated! :smile:
This week has been really, really bad.

The atmosphere at school is awful. Absolutely awful. Things have been kicking off with the head upsetting every single member of staff. A bull going on a rampage around the place could cause less upset! As a result, everyone is feeling rubbish and you can cut the tension with a knife.

I am so fed up!
Reply 1233
Final day of my school placement tomorrow! Followed by a week long residential trip to Bude. I say a residential, it's more "ship the kids off with the instructors all day and do as you please"....a perfect way to end my practice.

Jst a few bit and peices to do at Uni after half term and then I'm finally free.
This week has been really, really bad.

The atmosphere at school is awful. Absolutely awful. Things have been kicking off with the head upsetting every single member of staff. A bull going on a rampage around the place could cause less upset! As a result, everyone is feeling rubbish and you can cut the tension with a knife.

I am so fed up!

Oh that must be horrible... how long have you got left there?
Original post by noodles!
Oh that must be horrible... how long have you got left there?

11 days of placement. 10 days of 'enhancement'. :frown:
11 days of placement. 10 days of 'enhancement'. :frown:

Sounds like a horrible atmosphere (not unlike my P school) I have empathy! Hopefully it will get sorted soon. Not long to go! :biggrin: Did you manage to get EYFS for enhancement?

I have 10 days to go, phew! Yes, I am now counting down the days! :tongue:

I've just had an email about CEPD, and getting evidence for standards, what's this? How much do we need for each of the standards? Anyone? (That's my half term gone.....)
Heya , im doing my pgce (secondary RE) next year and I keep seeing "enhancement" around just like youve mentioned it, what dos it actually mean? Its also timetabled.
Reply 1238
I have 8 teaching days left until end of placement :party: And after half term all my upper year classes will have gone on study leave! Woohoooo! Teaching AS & A2 has been amazing, a little scary but I loved it. Sadly I have been struck down with what I think is flu and can't leave my bed, so so ill. So much to do too. Argh!! But we're nearly there everyone!

balloon_parade: Where I am, our standards have been an ongoing thing. So we collect evidence as and when we do them. We are required to have at least three pieces of evidence per standard, but they can be lesson plans, mentor comments, reports on us, observations, emails etc. Hope that helps!
Sounds like a horrible atmosphere (not unlike my P school) I have empathy! Hopefully it will get sorted soon. Not long to go! :biggrin: Did you manage to get EYFS for enhancement?

I have 10 days to go, phew! Yes, I am now counting down the days! :tongue:

I've just had an email about CEPD, and getting evidence for standards, what's this? How much do we need for each of the standards? Anyone? (That's my half term gone.....)

I have not been putting a lot in my record of achievement/standards document as my STCC told us not to fuss. I have at least one - often two or three, sometimes even four or five - things listed in each box but I haven't been that specific. If it is lecture based, I have, but somethings will run over an entire placement. I think I will want to go over it all again though, during half term, just to cover my back. :redface:

I love my placement school. My teacher is amazing, I have two TAs for part of the week who are both canny and the kids are great. A lot of issues/background things etc but I honestly like them all lol. :smile:

Re-enhancement. He told us originally that he would sort it out when we had our mid-term report. That was two weeks ago. No mention of it since. Plus, one of the other students in my school has now chirped up that he wants EYFS [even though he has a job teaching Yr5 next year], so there is some competition now. Pfft... To be honest, I think the best bit of enhancement would be letting me sleep! These 6am starts are getting to me. :redface:

Not seen much of the head today, so the atmosphere has been better. He has been preoccupied with his VIPs. They wandered into two of my lessons for a couple of minutes and then left. :smile:

Original post by ponpon14
Heya , im doing my pgce (secondary RE) next year and I keep seeing "enhancement" around just like youve mentioned it, what dos it actually mean? Its also timetabled.

I think it depends on the uni.
At Durham, for primary, it is two weeks tagged onto the last placement. They are timetabled [with a register document to be signed by your teacher]. Originally, it was included into the year to cover people who had time off during the course/snow days etc - so they could fulfill all the requirements. So, some people will spend it just carrying on with their placement. For the rest, we are meant to either enhance our experiences or 'give something back' eg, by running a club or putting on a school performance. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending