The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I just bought all 8 volumes of Outlanders for £25 on ebay :zomg: (plus an extra ~£9 for postage, they're heavy). If I was buying them individually on Amazon, it'd cost me about three times the amount, and that's if I wasn't being fussy about quality - the ones I've bought were apparently read once then placed in plastic sleeves and stored, like new. :biggrin:

The question is, how long will they last here before some natural disaster ruins them? :sigh: Hope the seller is including the plastic sleeves. :p:
:ninja:

So... Uh. Hi.

I have my suspicions about anime societies but I guess I'll drop by to say hello. :tongue:

I've been trying to get myself acquainted with some newer series but I just cannot find them interesting. Everything seems to be so moe nowadays... :emo:
Original post by FinnLassie
:ninja:

So... Uh. Hi.

I have my suspicions about anime societies but I guess I'll drop by to say hello. :tongue:

I've been trying to get myself acquainted with some newer series but I just cannot find them interesting. Everything seems to be so moe nowadays... :emo:

Welcome to the society. :smile: So, what is/are your favorite anime? A bit of a generic question, I know... hope that doesn't make you even more wary of us. :p:

Hmmm, non-moe recent series? I have a few suggestions, if you're interested:

Sakamichi no Apollon

Uchuu Kyoudai

Chihayafuru

Giant Killing

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

I tried to go for a range of different shows from the past couple of years, so hopefully something there may be more suited to your tastes. :smile:
Reply 3303
Fate/Zero taught me that moe serial killers are the best.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Welcome to the society. :smile: So, what is/are your favorite anime? A bit of a generic question, I know... hope that doesn't make you even more wary of us. :p:

Hmmm, non-moe recent series? I have a few suggestions, if you're interested:

Sakamichi no Apollon

Uchuu Kyoudai

Chihayafuru

Giant Killing

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

I tried to go for a range of different shows from the past couple of years, so hopefully something there may be more suited to your tastes. :smile:

I think my favourites are Paradise Kiss, Scrapped Princess, Lupin III, ehh... I guess the rest are actually just movies. Ghibli's productions, Satoshi Kon's flicks, 80s and early 90s scifi. I really lean on two extremes - either it has to be very realistic (not just by the story, but also the style of the animation) or something completely out of this world.

I've been reading Chihayafuru and tried to watch some episodes, but I like the inanimate series more haha. I am more keen to mangas but if a good anime series comes up, I'll watch it.

Thanks for the suggestions - Uchuu Kyoudai seems like something I could actually follow up until the end of it. :smile: The Rainbow one sounds good as well, but might be a bit too dark for my summer.
(edited 11 years ago)
so ive started watching tasogare otome x amnesia, pretty fun show :mmm: ahh ep 5 was great :h: kirie in that costume :pinch:

welcome finnlassie :hi: i 2nd space bros :yep:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by eugenius 8
so ive started watching tasogare otome x amnesia, pretty fun show :mmm:

welcome finnlassie :hi: i 2nd space bros :yep:

Heya! :h:

I just noticed the tentacles on the thread title... Not sure if this is the appropriate place for me after all... :nothing:
I just noticed the tentacles on the thread title... Not sure if this is the appropriate place for me after all... :nothing:

Like I explained to the previous new person who asked, a day or two ago:

AngryJellyfish
Tentacles/hentai are a common anime stereotype. :yes: Also, Jellyfish have tentacles, so it seemed like a perfect title at the time. Not the most newbie-friendly... but for some reason, we never take that into account when naming threads. :o:
AJ loves his tentacles :yes:
Like I explained to the previous new person who asked, a day or two ago:

Oh, I know how tentacles and anime relate to each other. :tongue: I guess it's something one will forever bump into in these circles, no matter how much they would like to avoid it.
Oh, I know how tentacles and anime relate to each other. :tongue: I guess it's something one will forever bump into in these circles, no matter how much they would like to avoid it.
I can't say I remember it being brought up in at least a year here, until this week that is - I'd virtually forgotten the thread had a name aside from 'Anime Soc Ontopic Thread', which is what my brain automatically substitutes for it. :p:

Unrelated, but I had a lot of fun editing screencaps of Shining Hearts earlier for my latest blog post... I'm running out of ideas to keep it entertaining, and the show itself isn't giving me much to work with. :o:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
ep 6 of ghost amnesia show just went a bit crazy there :lolwut: starting to get a lil more interesting now :teeth: i wander what that baseball bat and window scene reminded me of :mmm: :colone:

woah its defo starting to get good now :teeth: at the end of ep 7 :eek:

jebus that kyouko scary face :afraid: aw the end of zombie desu 8 :cry2: everyone wants a piece of ayumu :sexface:
(edited 11 years ago)
ahoy :smile: I wants some new anime to watch over the summer, can anyone recommend for me? :h: thanks muchly in advance!
Original post by SciFiBoy
ahoy :smile: I wants some new anime to watch over the summer, can anyone recommend for me? :h: thanks muchly in advance!

New as in recent/currently airing, or just series you haven't seen before? Also, do you have any genre(s) in mind? *doesn't want to just assume sci-fi because it's in your username*

Here's a few general recommendations, but if nothing suits your tastes then let me know in more detail what you're after. :smile:

Sakamichi no Apollon

Steins;Gate

Shiki

Kemono no Souja Erin

Kaiba

Hope that helps. :smile:
New as in recent/currently airing, or just series you haven't seen before? Also, do you have any genre(s) in mind? *doesn't want to just assume sci-fi because it's in your username*

Here's a few general recommendations, but if nothing suits your tastes then let me know in more detail what you're after. :smile:

Sakamichi no Apollon

Steins;Gate

Shiki

Kemono no Souja Erin

Kaiba

Hope that helps. :smile:

currently or recent would be ideal, anything really genre wise, Sci-Fi and Comedy are my faves, but watched romance/drama/slice of life stuff before and liked it also :smile:

I will check them out, thank you :yy:
I think my favourites are Paradise Kiss, Scrapped Princess, Lupin III, ehh... I guess the rest are actually just movies. Ghibli's productions, Satoshi Kon's flicks, 80s and early 90s scifi. I really lean on two extremes - either it has to be very realistic (not just by the story, but also the style of the animation) or something completely out of this world.

I've been reading Chihayafuru and tried to watch some episodes, but I like the inanimate series more haha. I am more keen to mangas but if a good anime series comes up, I'll watch it.

Thanks for the suggestions - Uchuu Kyoudai seems like something I could actually follow up until the end of it. :smile: The Rainbow one sounds good as well, but might be a bit too dark for my summer.

I will mod you if you do not watch Rainbow and love it :hmmm:
Original post by Facticity
I will mod you if you do not watch Rainbow and love it :hmmm:

Oh, you... :colonhash:

I'll watch it when the weather less happy and sunny. :tongue:
I ordered volume 1 of the manga series 7 Billion Needles, which arrived earlier this morning. I've not started it yet, but was immediately surprised at how small it was. I remember the years when all my manga volumes fit on my shelves nicely, all exactly the same standard size used by Del Rey, Tokyopop and Viz. Now I'm having to find different places to put the different sized volumes so that they don't look silly together. :o:
I just finished watching the first episode of Uchuu Kyoudai and oh my do I like it so far! The palette they're using is just pure sugar for my eyes and the animation is really smooth. :yes: Also, Mutta's name means 'but' in Finnish so that brings a tad of extra humour to my day. :teehee:
I just finished watching the first episode of Uchuu Kyoudai and oh my do I like it so far! The palette they're using is just pure sugar for my eyes and the animation is really smooth. :yes: Also, Mutta's name means 'but' in Finnish so that brings a tad of extra humour to my day. :teehee:

A Norwegian friend once told me he couldn't take one anime series seriously because the main character's name meant 'Mushroom' in Norwegian. :giggle: Can't remember what series it was, though. Myself, I don't think I've seen any Japanese names that sound like Welsh words before, humourous or otherwise. :frown:

Latest