UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

BA Creative Direction for Fashion at LCF

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by RichardJames
They said in the interview they weren't looking for anything specific, obviously an interest in fashion is key but because the diversity of the course (they referred to one student who at the time was making a vending machine as a piece for a project they were undertaking).

I shown fashion related projects within my portfolio from garments to prints, but I also shown things I had also volunteered on and I also shown editorial work I had been apart of as well as styling work and anything I didn't have in imagery I listed at the end of my portfolio, some people chose to show Life drawing (I did too) because I was advised to compile afew examples of this and I also bought along a sketchbook to help them identify how I handled executing projects adequately.

What you have picked seems to tick many of the boxes them seemed to be covering within the course, don't worry about it at all.

So that means u are gonna be at LCF in Creative Direction this year? Me too.
But I dunt really know much about this course,it is new course,so less details or information abt it online.
And I am an overseas student,cant go there and hv a look.:smile:

Original post by Moma00bb
Hi, I've also got in and accepted it! Just wondering of anyone already lives in londo as is going to do this course, are you moving out / applying for halls? As I'm not sure I will have a chance...

hi,me too,but not find the housing yet
hope to see you all in Sept.
(edited 11 years ago)
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Hi guys,

I thought I would post a little something on here.

I am a CURRENT STUDENT at LCF studying Creative Direction for Fashion ( and started this post). I thought I would update you and let you know about the course and how it has been going.

First off, it is a new course. Do not expect the course to be set in stone - like myself and everyone in my course did. The first two terms have been really bad - to the point where we didn't know if we was in or not! We had difficulty getting timetables and unit hand books. Sometimes we sat in lecture rooms watching fashion films which to be honest - it could be done at home. We are suppose to be taught a number of hours a week according to our course hand book and the unit handbooks, and we haven't.

I am sure many of you got interviewed by Tony, who yes is lovely, an amazing teacher and a great connection to the fashion industry - but unfortunately is not the course leader anymore, since the Dean revoked his role because he had such a heavy workload (he is course leader for another two courses!), so at the moment with have a stand in course leader - who is really organised and has sorted out the course , but he hasn't got the links to the industry like Tony has. So in September we won't know who the course leader is because the role is now open to application, so be aware that the course leader won't know the course 100% when you start and may change the course a lot.

We have not been taught any basic computer skills i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut etc. until we started complaining that we wanted those classes. I would think it would be a basic need for any first term of university in a creative degree, let along first year. We have only recently had intense lessons on Final Cut, due to having our new course leader. I guess the university is using the motto better late than never right?!

Creative Direction for Fashion is a pretty open course, and I think a lot of you should be aware it is NOT A STYLING COURSE. Styling is part of the course and styling can not be taught - it is something through experience that you learn and find your own styling techniques and what avenue you want to go down. This course is SUPPOSE TO BE about new media, film, styling, photography and art direction. So far, we haven't got what we have been promised. A few people have left the course and some are looking to start other courses with UAL in September.

We have had three projects this year - which compared to other courses within LCF is nothing - two out of the three have been group projects, which to be honest isn't great and we haven't had the opportunity to show our own individual style.

I want to warn all of you now, before you go into this course and find out it is not what you expected. If I was you, I would be asking the university a lot of questions, before you commit to the course. I think you also speak to your parents about this.

I don't want to turn you off the course and it hasn't been all bad. I have met some amazing people and the visiting tutors 9 out of 10 times are really helpful and great. Just remember how much you are spending, even though it is a loan - you will be paying about it in the future and like anything you buy - you have to get your monies worth right?!

LCF as a whole is a really good university, a good connection to the industry and you will meet some really, crazy, interesting people there form all over the world.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I will try my best to answer you.

Good Luck and hopefully I will see some of you around in September

nataliejadeb
Hi, just wondered how did you get into LCF, heard its very tough, i know its a very tough industry to work in. also would you recomend doing a foundation year first, college or something because i want to work in fashion unsure what area, currently looking into surface pattern or promotion side. i'm in year 12 at the moment a levels of fine art, textiles, spanish, geography there all AS & world development thats an A2? did you do foundation? i also don't live in London so accomodation is expensive?
Original post by nataliejadeb
Hi guys,

I am a CURRENT STUDENT at LCF studying Creative Direction for Fashion ( and started this post). I thought I would update you and let you know about the course and how it has been going.

First off, it is a new course. Do not expect the course to be set in stone - like myself and everyone in my course did. The first two terms have been really bad - to the point where we didn't know if we was in or not! We had difficulty getting timetables and unit hand books. Sometimes we sat in lecture rooms watching fashion films which to be honest - it could be done at home. We are suppose to be taught a number of hours a week according to our course hand book and the unit handbooks, and we haven't.

I am sure many of you got interviewed by Tony, who yes is lovely, an amazing teacher and a great connection to the fashion industry - but unfortunately is not the course leader anymore, since the Dean revoked his role because he had such a heavy workload (he is course leader for another two courses!), so at the moment with have a stand in course leader - who is really organised and has sorted out the course , but he hasn't got the links to the industry like Tony has. So in September we won't know who the course leader is because the role is now open to application, so be aware that the course leader won't know the course 100% when you start and may change the course a lot.

We have not been taught any basic computer skills i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut etc. until we started complaining that we wanted those classes. I would think it would be a basic need for any first term of university in a creative degree, let along first year. We have only recently had intense lessons on Final Cut, due to having our new course leader. I guess the university is using the motto better late than never right?!

Creative Direction for Fashion is a pretty open course, and I think a lot of you should be aware it is NOT A STYLING COURSE. Styling is part of the course and styling can not be taught - it is something through experience that you learn and find your own styling techniques and what avenue you want to go down. This course is SUPPOSE TO BE about new media, film, styling, photography and art direction. So far, we haven't got what we have been promised. A few people have left the course and some are looking to start other courses with UAL in September.

We have had three projects this year - which compared to other courses within LCF is nothing - two out of the three have been group projects, which to be honest isn't great and we haven't had the opportunity to show our own individual style.

I want to warn all of you now, before you go into this course and find out it is not what you expected. If I was you, I would be asking the university a lot of questions, before you commit to the course. I think you also speak to your parents about this.

I don't want to turn you off the course and it hasn't been all bad. I have met some amazing people and the visiting tutors 9 out of 10 times are really helpful and great. Just remember how much you are spending, even though it is a loan - you will be paying about it in the future and like anything you buy - you have to get your monies worth right?!

LCF as a whole is a really good university, a good connection to the industry and you will meet some really, crazy, interesting people there form all over the world.

nataliejadeb

Hi, just wondered how did you get into LCF, heard its very tough, i know its a very tough industry to work in. also would you recomend doing a foundation year first, college or something because i want to work in fashion unsure what area, currently looking into surface pattern or promotion side. i'm in year 12 at the moment a levels of fine art, textiles, spanish, geography there all AS & world development thats an A2? did you do foundation? i also don't live in London so accomodation is expensive?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I will be honest with you.

You need to research a lot of this yourself, it's the whole part of going to university. Go out to open days, ask as many questions as possible and go on here is also helpful. Go to open days and ask students what it is like for them.

Be prepared for interviews - interviews are hard because of the not knowing. Keep clued up and know what you are talking about. Why did you choose the course? What can you bring? What other experience in fashion have you got? Have you got interest in other areas of the arts?

Everyone is different some it may be better to go do foundation, others to take a gap year, it differs for everyone - do what is good for you.

I didn't do foundation, I did something else similar to a foundation course. I live with my parents at the moment, but I am moving out this year. It is expensive, but it's expected this is the capital of England.

Hope that helps

X
Reply 105
Hi guys,

nataliejadeb

thx nataliejadeb
after ur words,I did feel upset a little bit,coz it costs me a lot to restart in London -an overseas country,and expect the course would offer me much that I couldn't get in China,I expected too much in this course .And persuade my parents to let me get there.
So you say some of your classmates are looking for other courses in UAL.Can we choose the course in other colleges like CSM,or LCC ?
thank you~
Reply 106
Hi guys,

nataliejadeb

Wow how disappointing! Are you staying on for the rest of the course? It sounds like we shouldn't apply, if so, which other courses would you recommend for people who want to study something similar to this??

Thanks for your amazing input it was so helpful for everyone
Original post by MoranChan
thx nataliejadeb
after ur words,I did feel upset a little bit,coz it costs me a lot to restart in London -an overseas country,and expect the course would offer me much that I couldn't get in China,I expected too much in this course .And persuade my parents to let me get there.
So you say some of your classmates are looking for other courses in UAL.Can we choose the course in other colleges like CSM,or LCC ?
thank you~

Hi MoranChan,

Don't be too discouraged. I am just being honest with you guys of what has been going on. At the moment a few of us have taken it to the next level and made a formal complaint. Remember what ever happens changes will be made for the better! I think you should just ring up the university and ask as many questions as possible. Ask them who your Course Director will be?

Sorry to say, but you can't change within UAL. You can change with LCF the course I would suggest is maybe FdA Styling & Photography or BA Photography, but it depends on what you are looking for. Look at your other options.

Hope that helps X :smile:
Original post by Moma00bb
Wow how disappointing! Are you staying on for the rest of the course? It sounds like we shouldn't apply, if so, which other courses would you recommend for people who want to study something similar to this??

Thanks for your amazing input it was so helpful for everyone

Hi Moma!

It is disappointing however we are making changes!! I think you should go to open days like you would any other degree and see what changes they have made. Don't got by one person's opinion even if it is mine!

I am staying on the course, I really like the course and I know it will get better - it will because we are making complaints to higher power, and I really like the people on there and the university as a whole.

There isn't really anything out there like this course that I know of, but again. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH! Seriously at university you are at university no one is going to hand you the answer. UCAS has so much information, going on here is a start, go to open days and speak to students, speak to other people apply and see where they are applying.

THIS IS A NOT TO ALL:

You're going to university and not going to school there is no longer people asking you why you didn't hand in your project. If you don't hand it in your fail.

Research as much as possible. Ask so many questions people get fed up of you asking. Another thing I suggest - Go to open days with friends rather than parents, even better on your own. Build the confidence to stand on your own two feet, it's scary but so is this big wide world!

University is a little introduction of what the industry will be like.

I say this is a kind heart, not to freak you out or scare you!!

Hope it helps!

X
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 109
Hey Natalie

Firstly you are awesome, I know everyone appreciates you taking the time to write here to help us!

I was wondering as I live in London and so won't be in halls, how did you find making friends? Did everyone who lived in halls go to freshens week and everyone who stayed at home just make friends in class?

Also how is your course going now?
hi! I recently discovered this course and it looked perfect.
I'm a bit lost as to what they expect of your portfolio when you apply? I did higher art last year so the only work I have is some portraiture and a pretty awful jewellery design. I emailed the university asking if I should do a portfolio prep course or the access to fashion media course and they said I could take a short course but that an art qualification should be ok which has just confused me even more! What did you have in your portfolio/are you putting in your portfolio? (Details please, I'm so confused!!) :colondollar:
Hi guys,

nataliejadeb

That's a bit disappointing, I already applied for this course and BA fashion photography. I'm wondering if this course improved somehow! Can't seem to find any information on it.
Hi guys,

nataliejadeb

Thank you this is so helpful! I have applied for this course but I'm stressing about my portfolio..what kind of things do you put in it?! X
I've applied for this course as well along with the photography and styling foundation along with other courses at other university's but only applied for those as I need backups. LCF is my dream! I'm also worried about my portfolio just have a range of different things in it.

Has anyone got an interview for either course yet?
M xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
I've applied for creative direction too and fashion journalism but haven't heard from the creative direction course yet. Hope I hear soon! Does anyone have advice about what to put in the portfolio I can't find any detailed info?
Any help would be great! X
Original post by Pippa 1
I've applied for creative direction too and fashion journalism but haven't heard from the creative direction course yet. Hope I hear soon! Does anyone have advice about what to put in the portfolio I can't find any detailed info?
Any help would be great! X

I haven't heard anything either but fingers crossed! I need portfolio advice too:confused:
Me tooooo! But im just thinking a range of different things like photography, textiles pieces anything good and also writing skills like if you do art then your personal study that sort of thing! If you have facebook add me! Madelaine clare knowles x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah! I have kind of started it! Think I will ask my teacher for advice as well! I have added you :smile:
Wahhhoooooo!! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 119
I've just added you too :smile:

Yh for my portfolio I'm just putting a variety in because its quite a broad course, things like exhibition/gallery reviews, published work, work that shows digital skills as well as I get the feeling they're very big on that now (I don't know if you went to the open day but she was speaking a lot about new ideas and innovation etc!), life drawing, fashion projects/designs etc etc. The course leader said that they're really just looking for people with great ideas...so fingers crossed for all of us!

Has anyone heard from any other places yet? So far I've got 2 interviews but nothing yet from CSM and LCF.

- Pippa x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending