The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FinnLassie
Oh, you... :colonhash:

I'll watch it when the weather less happy and sunny. :tongue:

I'm not joking. I take my anime as super cereal srs bsns. A connoisseur if you will :pierre:

Oh and also watch: Haibane Renmei, Steins;Gate, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Tengen Toppa, Gundam 00, Bacanno!, Beck, NANA, Kaiji and Gintama <-- Funniest Show ever. Don't know if you've seen any of these but off the top of my head, these were all great/phenomenal. :yes:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
A Norwegian friend once told me he couldn't take one anime series seriously because the main character's name meant 'Mushroom' in Norwegian. :giggle: Can't remember what series it was, though. Myself, I don't think I've seen any Japanese names that sound like Welsh words before, humourous or otherwise. :frown:

I often find words that are similar to or just simply are Finnish words in different series. For example, in Pokemon there's Johto - even though it is pronounced a bit differently, it means cable in Finnish. :biggrin:

Original post by Facticity
I'm not joking. I take my anime as super cereal srs bsns. A connoisseur if you will :pierre:

Oh and also watch: Haibane Renmei, Steins;Gate, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Tengen Toppa, Gundam 00, Bacanno!, Beck, NANA, Kaiji and Gintama <-- Funniest Show ever. Don't know if you've seen any of these but off the top of my head, these were all great/phenomenal. :yes:

:holmes:

Haibane Renmei, Kaiji and Gintama watched. Well, didn't finish Gintama because it's just too long and the humour kind of started to die for me. As much as I liked Paradise Kiss both anime and manga, NANA didn't quite reach my picky standards.

Madoka is just... no... Sorry if I offend anyone, but the only mahou shoujo I can endure is Sailor Moon. :tongue:
Madoka is just... no... Sorry if I offend anyone, but the only mahou shoujo I can endure is Sailor Moon. :tongue:

Errm, the entire reason that Madoka was amazing was that it wasn't a mahou shoujo show in the typical sense. It became very dark, very brutal and very, very interesting. Also, how can you not love Kyubei?

Comparing Puella Magi with Sailor Moon is like comparing Gundam with Doreamon.
(edited 11 years ago)
Errm, the entire reason that Madoka was amazing was that it wasn't a mahou shoujo show in the typical sense. It became very dark, very brutal and very, very interesting. Also, how can you not love Kyubei?

I'm just not into magical girl settings at all, I like Sailor Moon because it's pure nostalgia. I've heard a lot of good comments about the show, but even after watching some preview bits and checking out screenshots I'm just not into it. I do know it gets a "dark twist" but it doesn't raise my interest in a bit. Once again I'm going to say: just not into it.

I like Doraemon more than Gundam. :tongue:
I'm just not into magical girl settings at all, I like Sailor Moon because it's pure nostalgia. I've heard a lot of good comments about the show, but even after watching some preview bits and checking out screenshots I'm just not into it. I do know it gets a "dark twist" but it doesn't raise my interest in a bit. Once again I'm going to say: just not into it.

I don't get how you can't like a setting? :s-smilie: Surely it doesn't matter if they are magical girls, as long as the characters are good, the story engaging and there is a lot of interesting stuff. Would you watch it if they weren't magical girls? That's like saying you wouldn't watch Death Note because its set in Tokyo or because Light is a student :lolwut: I can't see what a setting has to do with how interesting an anime would be. I can't stand mahou shoujo anime but I'm glad I gave Puella Magi a chance. But fair enough, different tastes I guess. You're still going to watch Rainbow though right? :sly:

I wasn't stating one was better than the other, I was just saying the comparison was off :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3325
I don't get how you can't like a setting? :s-smilie: Surely it doesn't matter if they are magical girls, as long as the characters are good, the story engaging and there is a lot of interesting stuff. Would you watch it if they weren't magical girls? That's like saying you wouldn't watch Death Note because its set in Tokyo or because Light is a student :lolwut: I can't see what a setting has to do with how interesting an anime would be. I can't stand mahou shoujo anime but I'm glad I gave Puella Magi a chance. But fair enough, different tastes I guess. You're still going to watch Rainbow though right? :sly:

I wasn't stating one was better than the other, I was just saying the comparison was off :tongue:

Very easily. Alot of series within a setting can go a very similar way. For example every season there's always alot of series set in a modern high school. Many of which feature the formula of young people messing around or doing nothing or some sort of low brow ecchi romance.:tongue: Of course not every series set in a modern high school is like this, but its understandable how people who arnt into that sort of thing would be turned off that setting at first glance. Those other aspects of a series you mentioned also play a part. But they arnt something you can appreciate as easily before actually watching a series as the setting is. :yes:

I have to agree with facticity here and recommend giving madoka a try.:yep: At the very least the first few episodes. It's not really a magical girl series as such.. although it does feature magical girls.:hmmmm: When it was airing I initially didnt watch it, because magical girl series dont appeal to me in anyway.:tongue: But midway I was hearing lots about how twisted it was and tried it myself and was quite surprised. And in the end quite impressed too. it really is one of the more unique and intriguing series of recent years. So really is worth trying out.:tongue:

Fair play. :smile:

I'd actually suggest Bokurano instead, it's pretty similar except in a sci fi/mech setting as opposed to magical girl, so you may get more out of that (assuming you haven't already watched it).
Reply 3327
Been watching more aquarion evol... its so much fun.:mmm:
I just gave Madoka a try and all I have to say is: nah. It just isn't a series of my taste, it just didn't convince in the first three episodes. I have to be honest, the biggest thing that kind of "turns me off" is the style of the characters and the whole setting of "oh let's put cute looking characters in a dark place". I kinda feel like I'm in lower secondary again, when my friends were trying to convince me that Naruto is a really good series, I just need to look deeper. Ok, to you that might've sounded a bad comparison, but to me it's good. Just not into them and to you (or my mates back then) I cannot give a proper answer why. No offense.

Tried it, not interested. Moving on.

And yes Facticity, I will try Rainbow, but after I've finished the Space Bros. :tongue:

Now I'm interested, how dark are we talking though? :tongue:
Reply 3330
I just gave Madoka a try and all I have to say is: nah. It just isn't a series of my taste, it just didn't convince in the first three episodes. I have to be honest, the biggest thing that kind of "turns me off" is the style of the characters and the whole setting of "oh let's put cute looking characters in a dark place". I kinda feel like I'm in lower secondary again, when my friends were trying to convince me that Naruto is a really good series, I just need to look deeper. Ok, to you that might've sounded a bad comparison, but to me it's good. Just not into them and to you (or my mates back then) I cannot give a proper answer why. No offense.

And yes Facticity, I will try Rainbow, but after I've finished the Space Bros. :tongue:

Ok fair enough.:tongue:

You might be waiting a while to finish space bros.. its only just started and is supposed to be about 50 eps.:erm:
Original post by vin
Ok fair enough.:tongue:

You might be waiting a while to finish space bros.. its only just started and is supposed to be about 50 eps.:erm:

Heh, what I meant was the episodes that have come up so far. I don't even know when I have the time to watch the second episode now that I wasted my good evening watching Madoka... :colonhash: jk :tongue: (or maybe if I went to sleep at a humanly time, not 2.30am as it is now, I wouldn't have trouble with the time...)

I really hope I won't drop off from watching Space Bros when uni starts in autumn, I basically stopped watching pretty much everything but some movies for 3 years as I was busy with studying. Maybe joining the uni anime society might help... :ninja:

I'm glad to hear about Kyodai and Rainbow :yy: There is actually a live action coming out of Space Bros here in Japan. I would catch it but my japanese isn't quite that good. :tongue:

Sad to hear about Puella Magi, but fair enough. Although, a fair try would be 12 episodes or so, then you can decide whether you like it or not :ninjagirl:

Original post by The Cornerstone
Now I'm interested, how dark are we talking though? :tongue:

Blik. No lol :tongue: It get gritty and dark and has a fantastic narrative. As Lassie noted, the art is bit liable, however, if you can get over it, it is the best sub-version of mahou shoujo I have seen. It's slow up until about episode 3 then kicks into the real good stuff. Gave it a 9/10.
(edited 11 years ago)
aww mini ranko and chihiro in sankarea :h: chihiro looks completely neko like :mmm:
I'm glad to hear about Kyodai and Rainbow :yy: There is actually a live action coming out of Space Bros here in Japan. I would catch it but my japanese isn't quite that good. :tongue:

Sad to hear about Puella Magi, but fair enough. Although, a fair try would be 12 episodes or so, then you can decide whether you like it or not :ninjagirl:

I'm going to have to force my sister to record something for me then. :tongue:

I personally don't think a series is worth watching if it doesn't get me in it in the first couple episodes. I don't have an infinite amount of time to use, so I'm better off focusing on series that are able to catch my attention from the start. Twelve episodes is waaay too much of a wait.
I'm going to have to force my sister to record something for me then. :tongue:

I personally don't think a series is worth watching if it doesn't get me in it in the first couple episodes. I don't have an infinite amount of time to use, so I'm better off focusing on series that are able to catch my attention from the start. Twelve episodes is waaay too much of a wait.

I was just joking, the entire show is only 12 episodes. :tongue: Well, if episode 3 didn't get you interested, as from that point on wards it takes off into a whole 'nother atmosphere, then fair enough.
The day after I comment on how small my copy of 7 Billion Needles is, Outlanders arrives in the post. These volumes are BIG. I actually haven't a clue where to put them, they tower above the rest of my manga collection. :o:
Sankarea episode 8... any idea why they missed out random numbers on the lockers? Or is it just to annoy people like me? :p:

Spoiler

I doubt it's a mistake, not when they've put so much effort into the rest of their background text. :giggle:

Spoiler

Reply 3338
Considering whether to buy the first 5 volumes of World God Only Knows. Being that I've already read up to the latest volume which is like number 180, I feel like it would be kinda a waste of my money. On the other hand I've enjoyed the anime and the manga a lot and would like to support the artist. HUM.
Reply 3339
I have to be honest, the biggest thing that kind of "turns me off" is the style of the characters and the whole setting of "oh let's put cute looking characters in a dark place". I kinda feel like I'm in lower secondary again, when my friends were trying to convince me that Naruto is a really good series, I just need to look deeper.

This is kind of one of the facets of my annoyance with the show, though coming from a rather different angle in that I do actually quite like normal magical girl shows, among various other genres.

Latest