The Student Room Group

Physics A2 2 - 25th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
what did everyone think?

I thought it was a really good paper, probably made some stupid mistakes but it could have went a lot worse!
Original post by ms607
what did everyone think?

I thought it was a really good paper, probably made some stupid mistakes but it could have went a lot worse!

Thought it was ok yea :smile:

Did you get something like 17000m for the radius at the start?? (using the time period T and then mrw^2=Gmm/r^2 cancelling the mass of the satellite)
And did you remember to divide the resistance of one copper wire by 27 then 2 to find total resistance? (cause it was a parallel resistor question) :tongue:
Did you add the two electrical field strengths (the +2 and +3) to find the total at point A??

Sorry about the interrogation!! :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Who_Is_It?
Thought it was ok yea :smile:

Did you get something like 17000m for the radius at the start?? (using the time period T and then mrw^2=Gmm/r^2 cancelling the mass of the satellite)
And did you remember to divide the resistance of one copper wire by 27 then 2 to find total resistance? (cause it was a parallel resistor question) :tongue:
Did you add the two electrical field strengths (the +2 and +3) to find the total at point A??

Sorry about the interrogation!! :colondollar:

I did the resistivity question wrong (with regards to resistance) so I don't know what the right answer would have been :frown:

but I did add the two electric field strengths to find the total @ point A

and yeah that value for the radius seems familiar, though I put it in standard form
Original post by ms607
I did the resistivity question wrong (with regards to resistance) so I don't know what the right answer would have been :frown:

but I did add the two electric field strengths to find the total @ point A

and yeah that value for the radius seems familiar, though I put it in standard form

Yaaa!! The resistivity question was pretty tough though!!

See for the very very last question did you use V=IR to calculate the resistance of R in series with the light thingy cause I did, but it didn't feel right :tongue:

Ohh and see for the voltage across the capacitor question... I just used a ratio and got 5v :confused: No idea if i done it right. Did you do any different??

For the demonstration for Faraday's law, did you only need one example and the observation??
I done my diagram and said about moving the wire up and down between the magnets and seeing a reading on the voltmeter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
didnt know you had to learn the bleedin energy to which each of the particle accelerators can accelerate particles to!! ffs
Original post by michaelf12
didnt know you had to learn the bleedin energy to which each of the particle accelerators can accelerate particles to!! ffs

Exactly!!! Same here :eek: I just guessed the numbers... I might get one :tongue:
Reply 26
Yaaa!! The resistivity question was pretty tough though!!

See for the very very last question did you use V=IR to calculate the resistance of R in series with the light thingy cause I did, but it didn't feel right :tongue:

Ohh and see for the voltage across the capacitor question... I just used a ratio and got 5v :confused: No idea if i done it right. Did you do any different??

For the demonstration for Faraday's law, did you only need one example and the observation??
I done my diagram and said about moving the wire up and down between the magnets and seeing a reading on the voltmeter.

I found the voltage over the resistor which = total V - V over the LED? (I think) then used R = V/I to find resistance and got 70 ohms

the capacitor question... I can't remember how I did that one :frown: I think I said something was conserved then calculated the answer using the Q=VC equation :s-smilie:

for the faraday's law question I drew a solenoid and bar magnet rather than the wire one you did, which is essentially the same, but I said about the deflection on a galvanometer (could have been a voltmeter too obviously) as you move the magnet in and out, and if you move it in and out faster a bigger deflection is seen
Reply 27
oh and I luckily did revise the energies of the particle accelerators :biggrin:
Reply 28
Exactly!!! Same here :eek: I just guessed the numbers... I might get one :tongue:

Bit of a joke that they even asked that, what does that test? that you can remember irrelevant details. Glad to be done with CCEA
Original post by ms607
I found the voltage over the resistor which = total V - V over the LED? (I think) then used R = V/I to find resistance and got 70 ohms

the capacitor question... I can't remember how I did that one :frown: I think I said something was conserved then calculated the answer using the Q=VC equation :s-smilie:

for the faraday's law question I drew a solenoid and bar magnet rather than the wire one you did, which is essentially the same, but I said about the deflection on a galvanometer (could have been a voltmeter too obviously) as you move the magnet in and out, and if you move it in and out faster a bigger deflection is seen

That actually makes a lot of sense, I see what you mean :tongue: That's those 4 marks lost haha.
But I'm still happy with the paper (except with the particle accelerators thing!!) it could have gotten really ugly though :s-smilie:
It was ridiculously easy.

Not saying I got everything right...far from it... but the standard was much easier than the previous 2 exams of A2-2. Especially last years.

So I expect grade boundaries to be high, which is sad.
Reply 31
Original post by game well and truly over
It was ridiculously easy.

Not saying I got everything right...far from it... but the standard was much easier than the previous 2 exams of A2-2. Especially last years.

So I expect grade boundaries to be high, which is sad.

"ridiculously easy"? really? REALLY!?
Original post by michaelf12
"ridiculously easy"? really? REALLY!?

Yes.
I know this thread is pretty much dead but is anyone getting their results online from CCEA online results service this year??
Reply 34
I know this thread is pretty much dead but is anyone getting their results online from CCEA online results service this year??

I will be, yeah. Makes a nice change from being able to get edexcel results online last year and then having to wait until 10am to be able to get into school to get the CCEA ones lol.

Although I must say I'm not particularly looking forwards to getting my Physics result. This is the subject that's going to decide which university I go to :/
Original post by Lucevar
I will be, yeah. Makes a nice change from being able to get edexcel results online last year and then having to wait until 10am to be able to get into school to get the CCEA ones lol.

Although I must say I'm not particularly looking forwards to getting my Physics result. This is the subject that's going to decide which university I go to :/

I like the CCEA one cause they give raw marks and UMS stuff! I got both my edexcel and CCEA ones online last year but my school didn't give us our edexcel log in details for this year only CCEA :angry:

You'll be grand for physics, the grade boundaries are always a hell of a lot lower for summer exams :tongue: My physics module 2 last year was 61/75 raw marks and was scaled up to 106/111 UMS. So lets hope grade boundaries are as nice this year too :biggrin: It's a cert that the practical will get scaled up. Did you repeat module 4 this june? That will more than likely get scaled up too :rolleyes:

What uni you hoping to go to? :smile:
Reply 36
I like the CCEA one cause they give raw marks and UMS stuff! I got both my edexcel and CCEA ones online last year but my school didn't give us our edexcel log in details for this year only CCEA :angry:

You'll be grand for physics, the grade boundaries are always a hell of a lot lower for summer exams :tongue: My physics module 2 last year was 61/75 raw marks and was scaled up to 106/111 UMS. So lets hope grade boundaries are as nice this year too :biggrin: It's a cert that the practical will get scaled up. Did you repeat module 4 this june? That will more than likely get scaled up too :rolleyes:

What uni you hoping to go to? :smile:

Really? :redface:
Original post by CD315
Really? :redface:

Yea, the module 2 paper last year? You probably done that one as well.

The Jan 2011 module 1 paper was just as bad. I got 68/75 raw marks and was scaled up to 111/111 UMS :tongue: The 2011 AS practical was scaled down though. What were your marks like from last year?? :smile:

I don't think the A2 scaling is as drastic as AS but most papers still get scaled up a bit.

I hope this summers scaling is nice cause I would like an nice wee A* :biggrin:
Reply 38
Yea, the module 2 paper last year? You probably done that one as well.

The Jan 2011 module 1 paper was just as bad. I got 68/75 raw marks and was scaled up to 111/111 UMS :tongue: The 2011 AS practical was scaled down though. What were your marks like from last year?? :smile:

I don't think the A2 scaling is as drastic as AS but most papers still get scaled up a bit.

I hope this summers scaling is nice cause I would like an nice wee A* :biggrin:

No no, I only did my AS exams in june there! But that scaling makes me feel better, was worrying about getting at least 90% in module 2!
Original post by CD315
No no, I only did my AS exams in june there! But that scaling makes me feel better, was worrying about getting at least 90% in module 2!

Aye you'll be grand :biggrin:

Although the scaling depends on the difficulty of the paper. The main reason the scaling was so drastic last June for module 2 was because it had a question that required stuff that wasn't mentioned on the syllabus. You may have come across it, it was the question about the production of X-Rays??

It says in the examiners report that it was very badly answered by most candidates from most centres :s-smilie: But again, grade boundaries are always lower for summer exams so it will more than likely get scaled up :smile: So don't worrying too much about it.

Quick Reply

Latest