The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Exam 29th May 2012

Hey guys, just wondering how people are revising for this exam? I know for literature i could makes notes etc but this exam is kind of more difficult to prepare for.. so any tips for revision and for the answering the questions in the reading section? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP.
Reply 2
Basically you just need two know how to answer the 4 reading question types. Doing a few practice papers should help with them. The writing is harder, as many different tasks can come up, just know that it will be one inform/advise and one persuade/argue.
Apparently they tend to do themes that suit the year as well as the environment, therefore I suspect it may be on the Olympics or the Queen's Jubilee. As most won't know much about the Jubilee, it'll probably be more centered around the Olympics.

Aside from that, how do people revise English?! It's Persuade, Describe, Analyse x 2, iirc?
Reply 4
Been using the study pack i got. Got past papers, mark schemes and hints and tips in
Reply 5
Ah okay I have a better idea of what to revise now thank you- good luck to anyone else taking the exam :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm glad to have found this thread!
I can't seem to locate past papers online anywhere, and, to be honest, I'm slightly worried about this exam, because it seems to be one where you really have to just cater to the mark scheme?

Could anyone help me locate any past papers and mark schemes, please!? Thank you ^_^
Reply 7
Original post by Anny Smiles
I'm glad to have found this thread!
I can't seem to locate past papers online anywhere, and, to be honest, I'm slightly worried about this exam, because it seems to be one where you really have to just cater to the mark scheme?

Could anyone help me locate any past papers and mark schemes, please!? Thank you ^_^

The exam from June 2011;
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcse/pdf/AQA-ENG1H-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

and the mark scheme:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcse/pdf/AQA-ENG1H-W-MS-JUN11.PDF

enjoy!
Thank you!!
Do AQA make the booklets with the material in for the reading available, do you know? Or would I have to try and find the sources online?
Reply 9
Original post by Anny Smiles
Thank you!!
Do AQA make the booklets with the material in for the reading available, do you know? Or would I have to try and find the sources online?

The text inserts for the question papers are subject to copyright so can only be accessed via Secure Key Materials.
Reply 10
The outline will basically be that of the Jan 2012.
1st question: Regurgitate stuff in the text not word for word.
2nd: How is this headline/pic/sub-headline link with the text and being effective what it does. Point out even the completely obvious (the headline is bold and large making it punchy etc.).
3rd: Analyse the question. Add some provenance to help. Anyone who does History GCSE will know what to do here, just interpret it as a source question.
4th the same.
5th: Usually write something long like a letter. If it is a letter then start it like one with the address and the formalities. Basically its write a lot, have connectives, paragraph it and have intro and conclusion. Usually have to write about something in your life or similar here, but Billy Bullcrap can be used to make it up to make it better.
6th: just write a lot. That's relevant.
Reccomended timings are 15 min reading time, 36 min for Q 1-3, 24 min for Q4 and an hour on 5-6 (section B). The aim is 1 mark per 1.5 min.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Does anyone have access to the January 2012 paper by any chance?
Reply 12
Original post by Lizy

I was given it by my teacher because teachers have better access on that kind of stuff.
Reply 13
Original post by Lizy

http://www.kingsdownschool.co.uk/docs/revision2012/eng/H/H%20Jan%202012%20paper.pdf
jan 2012 paper:smile:
Reply 14
I was told to start immediately on section B, then once an hour has passed, do section A!
Works best!

Awesome! Do you have access to a mark scheme too, by any chance?
Original post by Revision-
I was told to start immediately on section B, then once an hour has passed, do section A!
Works best!

That definitely would work, I think :smile:
We're told 25 minutes for the shorter writing question, and 35 minutes for the longer one, roughly...
And then we're told we can begin with either the reading or the writing! I find the reading 'warms me up', and puts me in the mind frame where I can write more effectively, so I begin with that, but each to their own! :smile:
Reply 17
I'm worried about this exam too, my biggest issue is time mangement and my creative writing skills are ****
Original post by lil-mazie
I'm worried about this exam too, my biggest issue is time mangement and my creative writing skills are ****

Okay... I've found:

1- Your controlled assessments can help bring up grades, as they're worth a considerable percentage of the course.

2- Try to work out time management before you enter- we've been told 25 minutes for shorter writing, and 35 minutes for longer writing, for example, so figure out how long you want to spend on each question.

3- Practice answering questions with the time limits you've decided upon, so you're used to how much time you'll get.

4- Look through mark schemes, and practice creative writing using model answers you've found online. For us, even those who don't find themselves naturally good at writing creatively have found that they can improve when they consider which techniques, and practice really does seem to be key here :smile:

I hope something there can help ^_^
what are grade boundaries usually like for english?
I got 70/80 for coursework and apparently 72/80 was the A* for the coursework last year.
So would it mean that i have to get a solid A* in this exam to get an overall A*?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending