The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carecup
Rap and Jpop go together surprising well.

It's can see why the person chose that particular song of eminem, it's surprisingly close to clannad's storyline
man that clannad and eminem one fits so well together :sad:
Reply 9603
Original post by Facticity
Aha, I guess I would say the same for England. Lived there most of my life but I've hardly been anywhere :tongue:

Firstly, sorry for the late reply, I haven't had the opportunity to come onto TSR for much of this week due to work. :redface:

I suppose you're less inclined to visit places in your native country, especially if you're the type that likes to travel abroad. Growing up, I never cared about visiting other places within Japan, except from Kyoto to Tokyo for family sake, and the occasional visit here and there either due to a school trip or something. It's also worth noting in my case that I hardly saw my parents throughout my childhood (I had a carer), so I've never had a family holiday as such.

Out thoughts exactly, we wanted to hit the major touring spots before we left as we wouldn't have a break like this at any other time. The only down side is that prices go up for travel, food and accommodation during Golden Week.

Yeah, an unfortunate expectancy during the holiday season, but I guess there was no alternative. How are you managing your finances? :smile:

Great little Island. Probably my overall favourite trip for Golden Week. It was great. The only down side was the Tori, I had even planned to kayak under it and over back to Hiroshima port, but no luck :sad:

I was hoping Kyoto would be your favourite destination. :tongue:

Mhmm, quite sobering. It was quite interesting to see how much more the city and the folks there were invested in the A-bomb as compared to the rest of the country. I learnt a lot of interesting things. And, I like to know interesting things :tongue:

Oh, indeed. I guess it's understandable because they're constantly reminded of it. With each subsequent generation, history is merely that, history, and while it's obviously taught in school, I can't say any of us particularly cared, partly because none of our family were affected directly.

It was just prolific spending whilst over there. The coin machines particularly attracted my partner and to be fair he dominated them. Nearly missed our travel back home because he wasn't running out of coins aha. We were near the red light district as well so that was interesting. Stayed out of clubs though as we got warned about police raids on Yakuza dens in the clubs :giggle:

Aha, best to stick with Tokyo for the nightlife, which incidentally, did you manage to take advantage of while you were there?

It is ridiculously efficient. England is put to serious shame.

Yes, definitely. Can't say I've been that impressed with TFL during my time in London. I even had to walk on the track once because the train broke down. :tongue:

Oddly enough, I received another Gundam model today at work from a nurse friend. Also engaged in some Duel Masters with some of the kids as i'm currently in Pediatrics. I find it odd, but great, that Duel Masters is still doing so well in Japan despite being ancient history in England. Not sure if you know of it? DM and Yu-gi were my card staples when I was younger :yes:

So, you received a Gundam model from a nurse? That's a rather unusual gift to give to someone, and certainly from a nurse. I'm assuming she knew you were into anime? :tongue: And sorry, while I know of Duel Masters (as in, its existence), I don't know anything about it or any card related game. :redface: - I suppose the same could be said of Pokemon. As far as I can see, the franchise's popularity in the west has lessened considerably, but it's still going strong in Japan.

Nothing extremely medical. Assist doctors and nurses as appropriate, watch procedures, sometimes clean, right now since I'm pediatrics I have a lot of patient contact. The mothers are always very fun to talk to and I love kids so its quite nice being there. Though, in my next rotation, I'm in full general surgery so my duties will change considerably, more to an observational duty.

That must have been a great experience, interacting with the children. Must be incredibly insightful to observe how the medical industry is conducted in Japan, and with such variety at that. How would you say it compares to Britain?

Slowly but surely my Japanese increases but, having not been here even 3 months, its hard to hold a multi-level conversation. Verbs and structure are fine, its more the limited amount of vocab I know which makes dictionaries a must if I'm having extended conversation. Sounds good, I have wondered what the youth more my age are like. There are some trainee nurses about my age right now, but they are too shy to engage with :tongue:

I keep forgetting that you possess a reasonable understanding of Japanese. I'm sure it definitely helps. Also, my brother is probably quite a bit different than the majority of youth in the country due to our family circumstances, but since he's currently at University, I'm sure, if you do meet, you'll have the chance to meet his friends too. :smile:

Its alright, glad to write it out. Well my anime blog has been on hiatus for a while, can't maintain episodic whilst being this busy. I did have a blog but slowly its died :tongue: Thousands of photos and conversations are the main medium of log right now :smile:

Would love to see these pictures. I've chosen not to use Facebook anymore, so if you could share them through another platform that I can view, I would love to see them. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9604
:awesome:
Reply 9605
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Original post by Aiko
Firstly, sorry for the late reply, I haven't had the opportunity to come onto TSR for much of this week due to work. :redface:

No problem :smile:

I suppose you're less inclined to visit places in your native country, especially if you're the type that likes to travel abroad. Growing up, I never cared about visiting other places within Japan, except from Kyoto to Tokyo for family sake, and the occasional visit here and there either due to a school trip or something. It's also worth noting in my case that I hardly saw my parents throughout my childhood (I had a carer), so I've never had a family holiday as such.

Pretty much the same with me, I've not cared to travel especially far. I mean, if there is something to do, then I travel, but I've ever wanted to go somewhere just to see, not in the UK anyway.

Yeah, an unfortunate expectancy during the holiday season, but I guess there was no alternative. How are you managing your finances? :smile:

Finances are great. Pocket money is very generous from the RCH and my own money means I can freely spend. Although food, especially imported food like fruits and such, is very expensive in Japan. I'm not used to not eating apples because they cost like 400 yen per apple :tongue:

I was hoping Kyoto would be your favourite destination. :tongue:

Aha, it might have been, if not for the rain and terrible road jams.

Oh, indeed. I guess it's understandable because they're constantly reminded of it. With each subsequent generation, history is merely that, history, and while it's obviously taught in school, I can't say any of us particularly cared, partly because none of our family were affected directly.

My sentiments exactly. It's a strange kind of melancholy.

Aha, best to stick with Tokyo for the nightlife, which incidentally, did you manage to take advantage of while you were there?

That is unfortunately one of the things I didn't get to indulge in. I hope to do so at the end of my trip when I'm back to Tokyo for a good bit before going home.

Yes, definitely. Can't say I've been that impressed with TFL during my time in London. I even had to walk on the track once because the train broke down. :tongue:

Aha TFL is rather a sore sight compared to Japanese rail systems. To be fair though, I was dreading the white gloved pushers however, I have yet to experience any so its overall been a pleasant experience :giggle:

So, you received a Gundam model from a nurse? That's a rather unusual gift to give to someone, and certainly from a nurse. I'm assuming she knew you were into anime? :tongue: And sorry, while I know of Duel Masters (as in, its existence), I don't know anything about it or any card related game. :redface: - I suppose the same could be said of Pokemon. As far as I can see, the franchise's popularity in the west has lessened considerably, but it's still going strong in Japan.

Yes, it was surprising. Though, I should elaborate. It was just a very small, kids model really. We were sorting through some equipment (I'm in pediatrics remember) and I asked what a stack of boxes were. She told me they were robot models that were donated which you build and asked me if I had done them before. I said no, truthfully. She asked me if I recognised any of it, I pointed to the Escaflowne one and said I remembered that old anime. She handed it to me saying to try it if I'm ever bored. So, I guess in that context its not as odd. She is a rather older and very nice lady so to some extent, its in her nature.

That must have been a great experience, interacting with the children. Must be incredibly insightful to observe how the medical industry is conducted in Japan, and with such variety at that. How would you say it compares to Britain?

It is a great experience. I can't say for certain compared to England as I'm in a Red Cross Hospital not a public hospital. But so far, this one is a lot more glassy and polished than english hospitals :tongue: Though, I guess that largely depends on where you go. That said, the privatized medical care still baffles me. I like my NHS. I had to pay 6,000 yen when I got a very small chip on my tooth last month, to have it fixed. I'm used to free dental care :tongue:

I keep forgetting that you possess a reasonable understanding of Japanese. I'm sure it definitely helps. Also, my brother is probably quite a bit different than the majority of youth in the country due to our family circumstances, but since he's currently at University, I'm sure, if you do meet, you'll have the chance to meet his friends too. :smile:

I wouldn't get too far ahead, I'd question whether you could call my Japanese of reasonable understanding :redface: But I'm trying I guess. It's easier to understand people than it is to reply, I often find myself getting muddled even when I know exactly how to say something. Understandable I guess.

Interesting to hear about your brother. Should be interesting to meet :smile:

Would love to see these pictures. I've chosen not to use Facebook anymore, so if you could share them through another platform that I can view, I would love to see them. :smile:

Hmmm, the only platform I'm sharing them on is facebook but I can link you and have the photos public if only for a little while. I shall mail it :smile:

Oh and, I probably won't be on TSR to reply so I'll email you anyway to continue :smile:

:bhangra:
Wow, I gave out and received more rep points during my brief return to Chat's Games and Competitions subforum last night than I've given or received in months just posting here. I'd virtually forgotten the site HAD a rep system, because all my attempts to thumb up posts here have resulted in PRSOM messages for ages. :p:
The Aniblog tourney is set to continue on June 1st, hopefully. Glad to hear I can vote twice during the group stages, that way I don't have to choose between Cara and Beneath the Tangles. :biggrin:
Reply 9613
oh now I get where this song is from:hmmmm:
:lolwut: sandvich :teeth:

looking for accel world eps to download, wana get UTW subs for it but i just cant get myself to download 500-600mb for each ep urgh :s-smilie:
Reply 9615
Sandvich :coma:

It's so long since I've made a picture of the day :sad:

But today I'm going to steal J-list's, because it's an awesome picture and it's topical :cute: the opening of the Tokyo Sky Tree:

Spoiler

:colone:

I don't know if I've said this already, but I'm really enjoying your Japan posts, it's really interesting to hear about :yep: thanks for sharing :h:

Original post by Aiko
And sorry, while I know of Duel Masters (as in, its existence), I don't know anything about it or any card related game. :redface: - I suppose the same could be said of Pokemon. As far as I can see, the franchise's popularity in the west has lessened considerably, but it's still going strong in Japan.

As far as card games and related franchises go I think my house is some kind of western epicentre...there seems to be a daily ritual of elaborate 6 player games at the breakfast table, it's oddly calming to watch but....

I'm revising surrounded by man-children :nothing:

edit: also this page loads so slowly :nooo:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9616
Original post by skipp
Sandvich :coma:

It's so long since I've made a picture of the day :sad:

But today I'm going to steal J-list's, because it's an awesome picture and it's topical :cute: the opening of the Tokyo Sky Tree:

Spoiler

I don't know if I've said this already, but I'm really enjoying your Japan posts, it's really interesting to hear about :yep: thanks for sharing :h:

As far as card games and related franchises go I think my house is some kind of western epicentre...there seems to be a daily ritual of elaborate 6 player games at the breakfast table, it's oddly calming to watch but....

edit: also this page loads so slowly :nooo:

I used to play Duel Masters my cards are still round my room somewhere :ninja: plus your house sounds fun :laugh:. Though in my house having 4 tv's, 3 xbox's and a ps3 all running and being played on at the same time in the living room is a very common occurrence.
Reply 9617
For those unaware, I've been lounging around in Barbados for the last couple of days courtesy of my husband who bought the tickets for my Birthday as a surprise. Needless to say, it was very relaxing, although I won't deny, nearing the end I was beginning to get a little bored. :redface: :tongue:
Reply 9618
Finances are great. Pocket money is very generous from the RCH and my own money means I can freely spend. Although food, especially imported food like fruits and such, is very expensive in Japan. I'm not used to not eating apples because they cost like 400 yen per apple :tongue:

Yeah, imported fruit from the west are considered luxurious and are therefore expensive. However, fruit native to Japan are much better priced, including the Ringo (apple). :smile:

Aha, it might have been, if not for the rain and terrible road jams.

Yeah, I suppose the weather can have a detrimental impact on your impression. Hopefully, you'll return when it's nicer. :smile:

That is unfortunately one of the things I didn't get to indulge in. I hope to do so at the end of my trip when I'm back to Tokyo for a good bit before going home.

You really need to, it's quite unlike anywhere else, not just in Japan, but the world. :tongue:

Aha TFL is rather a sore sight compared to Japanese rail systems. To be fair though, I was dreading the white gloved pushers however, I have yet to experience any so its overall been a pleasant experience :giggle:

Aha, quite a number of people I've met who haven't been to Japan mistakenly believe this is how it always is. I blame the internet and specifically YouTube. :tongue:

Yes, it was surprising. Though, I should elaborate. It was just a very small, kids model really. We were sorting through some equipment (I'm in pediatrics remember) and I asked what a stack of boxes were. She told me they were robot models that were donated which you build and asked me if I had done them before. I said no, truthfully. She asked me if I recognised any of it, I pointed to the Escaflowne one and said I remembered that old anime. She handed it to me saying to try it if I'm ever bored. So, I guess in that context its not as odd. She is a rather older and very nice lady so to some extent, its in her nature.

Escaflowne? That's awesome. :giggle:

It is a great experience. I can't say for certain compared to England as I'm in a Red Cross Hospital not a public hospital. But so far, this one is a lot more glassy and polished than english hospitals :tongue: Though, I guess that largely depends on where you go. That said, the privatized medical care still baffles me. I like my NHS. I had to pay 6,000 yen when I got a very small chip on my tooth last month, to have it fixed. I'm used to free dental care :tongue:

Unfortunately, I was never eligible to use the NHS, meaning I had to go private. Bupa, later Spire, healthcare was very good, though. I'd say it was comparable. As you say, though, very few countries offer free healthcare like the UK does. A lot of people complain about the NHS, but they don't realise how fortunate they are. The welfare system in the UK in general is very generous in comparison to anywhere else.

I wouldn't get too far ahead, I'd question whether you could call my Japanese of reasonable understanding :redface: But I'm trying I guess. It's easier to understand people than it is to reply, I often find myself getting muddled even when I know exactly how to say something. Understandable I guess.

That's exactly how I was when I first moved to the UK. I really struggled with speaking the language, even though I could read and write reasonably well. I would often get frustrated because I knew what I wanted to say, but similarly would get muddled and lose confidence.

Interesting to hear about your brother. Should be interesting to meet :smile:

Sora, the brother I'm referring to, is very mild mannered and mature. I'm sure you'll get on fine if you do meet. :tongue:

Hmmm, the only platform I'm sharing them on is facebook but I can link you and have the photos public if only for a little while. I shall mail it :smile:

Thanks, will check my email. :smile:

Oh and, I probably won't be on TSR to reply so I'll email you anyway to continue :smile:

Sure, understandable. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9619
Original post by skipp

Aha, sounds fun. :tongue:

Latest