The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mevidek
Hello :smile:

Trainee/beginner rower here... I have about a year's experience in kayaking however :biggrin:

Hello!
I've tried kayaking, was never much good at it but my boyfriend does it. I'm a novice rower too :biggrin:
Original post by partoftheweekend
Theres usually a slight cross at Dorney so make sure your bow dudes know to point your bow slightly into the wind on the start. Also know all the circulation patterns and shiz. And the Pineapple pub in Dorney does great sandwiches if you need somewhere to go between races.

fab, thanks :smile:
Reply 1162
Bleh. They're selecting coxes for Henley tomorrow, and I could have been in a men's boat for sure had one of our most experience coxes not come back. It's a bit unfair because she didn't train at all during the exam period (using the fact that she's a finalist as an excuse, but eh, so I am and I'm still on the water), which the rest of us did, and she's essentially only coming back for Henley. Now we all know she's got more chances of being selected than we do, and it kinds of ruins the efforts we put in…
Reply 1163
Original post by Anatheme
Bleh. They're selecting coxes for Henley tomorrow, and I could have been in a men's boat for sure had one of our most experience coxes not come back. It's a bit unfair because she didn't train at all during the exam period (using the fact that she's a finalist as an excuse, but eh, so I am and I'm still on the water), which the rest of us did, and she's essentially only coming back for Henley. Now we all know she's got more chances of being selected than we do, and it kinds of ruins the efforts we put in…

Rowing does tend to be cruel like that.
Reply 1164
Original post by SimonM
Rowing does tend to be cruel like that.

I saw you in Rowing and Regatta :cool:
Reply 1165
I saw you in Rowing and Regatta :cool:

Didn't you know? I'm a big deal now.
Original post by SimonM

BNOC!

Or BNIR (Big Name In Rowing)!

:biggrin:

This has just happened in our squad only the cox picked had hardly trained all year! Its not a fun experience at all.
Reply 1168
Original post by Becca :)
Anyone coxed/rowed at Dorney before? Any tips?

I'm coxing the Uni Dev Squad at met regatta next weekend - I'm doing a IV+ and possibly an VIII+ (although the cox of the other IV+ is more experienced than me so I'm probably not doing that one!)

Thanks!

Also, when thinking about your race plan - i'd really prepare for a gusty head wind which will die down in the last ~500m. I've only ever known Dorney to be flat (rare) or some form of head wind (usually a cross head favouring the 1st couple of lanes) but it does get more sheltered towards the finish. Hope this helps!
Original post by InkyOne
Also, when thinking about your race plan - i'd really prepare for a gusty head wind which will die down in the last ~500m. I've only ever known Dorney to be flat (rare) or some form of head wind (usually a cross head favouring the 1st couple of lanes) but it does get more sheltered towards the finish. Hope this helps!

That definitely is helpful to know, thanks very much! Is there something to stop the headwind near the end or is it just that the wind doesn't blow as much there?
Reply 1170
Original post by Becca :)
That definitely is helpful to know, thanks very much! Is there something to stop the headwind near the end or is it just that the wind doesn't blow as much there?

I think that it's just the set up of trees nearby or something, it's definitely intention, but I don't know the exact mechanism, but if there are markers every 250m so it's quite easy to anticipate when the wind will begin to fade, any other questions just ask, I've had the 'pleasure' of racing at downey countless times in the past 6 years!
Reply 1171
Original post by littlehobbit
This has just happened in our squad only the cox picked had hardly trained all year! Its not a fun experience at all.

You're both right, it's very cruel, but unfortunately unless you're in a 'casual' or 'friendly' boat it comes down to winning or not, and getting your club known in the rowing circles as being a successful club, which will then attract more members (and high quality rowers too).

When I was training for HoRR a few years ago, we were told "If an Olympic rower joins the club the day before HoRR, he will take a seat in the boat and the weakest crewmember will go." Shortly before HoRR a guy who had rowed for GB Juniors was invited to row with us, he took a place in the first boat, the guy who lost the seat in that boat moved into our (the second) boat, and one of our guys had to miss out (fortunately it wasn't me, phew!). A shame, but you know what, our boat was significantly improved.

It's always bad for one person, but as cruel as it is, usually better for everyone else involved - the crew, the coach, and the club. It just depends on what your priorities are, which should really be laid out bare at the start of the season - are you going to choose the crew based on commitment, or ability?
Original post by dobbs
It just depends on what your priorities are, which should really be laid out bare at the start of the season - are you going to choose the crew based on commitment, or ability?

This exactly - should be made aware of early on!
Reply 1173
Original post by littlehobbit
This exactly - should be made aware of early on!

Yeah it's a little harsh if it isn't, but within the rowing scene it is sort of expected if you're in a crew that is expecting high success. It can be a bit of a shock if you're not used to it, but once you've been in rowing for a while you realise it's normal across all rowing clubs for that to happen particularly with coxes.

In a way, it's sort of a compliment to the position of the cox - that it's such an influential position that people are willing to pass over 'friendships' and 'loyalty' to have a cox with the best abilities.

But yeah, it's not nice to happen to you!
Reply 1174
Original post by SimonM

I was kind of away from normal civilisation for a year… :colondollar:

Original post by dobbs
You're both right, it's very cruel, but unfortunately unless you're in a 'casual' or 'friendly' boat it comes down to winning or not, and getting your club known in the rowing circles as being a successful club, which will then attract more members (and high quality rowers too).

When I was training for HoRR a few years ago, we were told "If an Olympic rower joins the club the day before HoRR, he will take a seat in the boat and the weakest crewmember will go." Shortly before HoRR a guy who had rowed for GB Juniors was invited to row with us, he took a place in the first boat, the guy who lost the seat in that boat moved into our (the second) boat, and one of our guys had to miss out (fortunately it wasn't me, phew!). A shame, but you know what, our boat was significantly improved.

It's always bad for one person, but as cruel as it is, usually better for everyone else involved - the crew, the coach, and the club. It just depends on what your priorities are, which should really be laid out bare at the start of the season - are you going to choose the crew based on commitment, or ability?

I understand that I'm being selfish here, but so was the other cox by dropping out to focus on her exams, and so is she by coming back, knowing full well she is probably gonna have to go back to Manchester the week of Henley for vivas she will potentially have, and she'd just be leaving her crew with no cox…

Original post by dobbs
Yeah it's a little harsh if it isn't, but within the rowing scene it is sort of expected if you're in a crew that is expecting high success. It can be a bit of a shock if you're not used to it, but once you've been in rowing for a while you realise it's normal across all rowing clubs for that to happen particularly with coxes.

In a way, it's sort of a compliment to the position of the cox - that it's such an influential position that people are willing to pass over 'friendships' and 'loyalty' to have a cox with the best abilities.

But yeah, it's not nice to happen to you!

Yeah, we generally don't make it past the 2nd day, lol, they might as well make it constructive for other coxes who've not raced Henley. I'm just annoyed, I should have spoken up and told her it wasn't fair, but here's me having spent too much time in the UK and forgetting my spine in a corner…
Peterborough Regatta this weekend anyone?
Or has anyone rowed/coxed there before? Anything unexpected about the course/lake in general?
Thanks very much!
Reply 1176
Reply 1177
Seen before, but every time I do I get jealous.
Reply 1178
My club's senior men crew after being beaten by UW at Henley: "Sooo… We knew Washington could row"
I'm quite jealous of the fact that they've got so much space to train, and the scenery's so nice.
Reply 1179
My club's senior men crew after being beaten by UW at Henley: "Sooo… We knew Washington could row"
I'm quite jealous of the fact that they've got so much space to train, and the scenery's so nice.

Not to mention row upon row of RP3s

Quick Reply

Latest