The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Exam 23/5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gabriel 41
Guide to beach safety

Climate change the webpage

Thankyou very much :smile:
Reply 81
hey what do you reckon we'll get for todays exam ?
Original post by mandaxoxo
hey what do you reckon we'll get for todays exam ?

Passage to Africa. Prolly you're reading this after the exams. Was i wrong???????
I'm starting my exam at 1:00 PM EAT; when are you starting? What do you want to do with my number? What are your plans?

I have noticed many times you take words so literally with so much seriousness and formality. Sometimes you don't know the difference between a troll, a joke and a serious remark. Who cares..anyway your good in English...:cool:
:biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 84
Section C writing question:

Write a letter to your local newspaper giving your ideas on how the local area can be improved for young people. You may choose to write about the following or any other point you have:

1. Environmental concerns.
2. Transport.
3. Educational facilities.
4. Leisure and sporting opportunities.

According to me, "young people" means 15 -27 years old people. But, my classmates say that is wrong and they say "young people" mean children and small teenagers. Which theory over here is right? And if the later is right, does that mean I'll lose many marks because the whole answer was based on my wrong thinking? I wrote the following points:

1. Improving the assessment of driving schools so young people drive more properly.
2. Encouraging religious and moral values so the local area because more secure and young people stop stabbing each other!
3. Encouraging car pooling or giving young people a free bicycle so they can reach their school/college easily and on time.
4. Encouraging foreign sports bodies, for example FIFA, to develop sports collges in my local area so that "young people" become professional footballers.
5.Encouraging disco clubs and circus
6. I don't remember what I wrote.

Are these points okay? Will I get a good mark? Or will my interpration of young people spoil it? I think the mark scheme allows a wide range of interprations isn't it?

Section B questions.

Describe an event or special occassion that was important to you. You could write about a celebration or any other memorable occassion.
My approach:

Special occassion - IGCSE English exam on 25th May 2012; it gave me pride and made me a hero.
Format - Magazine article.
Length of answer: 2.5 pages.

Is my approach to this answer okay? Please tell me.

How does the writer try to share her experiences with us about the race?

My points: Shows Pakistan has no sense of urgency / lack of punctuality - "are they coming..."
Shows how Pakistan has no rules or order and doesn't adopt the western way of thinking "I assumed the winner was the one who completed the race..."
Shows how Pakistan is crazy,wild, exciting and choatic "wacky races.."
Shows how Pakistan is dirty but at the same time exciting " cloud of fumes and dust... fifty vehicles roaring up in their wake"
Appreciates Pakistani culture "using their whips energetically although not cruelly"
Shows her excitment and passion for the race "horns tooting, bells ringing.... men perched on lorries..."

Are these points valid and suitable for acheving a high mark? Please tell me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Can someone please answer my questions above!! I really want to know whether I've done the right thing!
Reply 86

Write a letter to your local newspaper giving your ideas on how the local area can be improved for young people. You may choose to write about the following or any other point you have:

2. Transport.

According to me, "young people" means 15 -27 years old people. But, my classmates say that is wrong and they say "young people" mean children and small teenagers. Which theory over here is right? And if the later is right, does that mean I'll lose many marks because the whole answer was based on my wrong thinking? I wrote the following points:

1. Improving the assessment of driving schools so young people drive more properly.
2. Encouraging religious and moral values so the local area because more secure and young people stop stabbing each other!
3. Encouraging car pooling or giving young people a free bicycle so they can reach their school/college easily and on time.
4. Encouraging foreign sports bodies, for example FIFA, to develop sports collges in my local area so that "young people" become professional footballers.

Are these points okay? Will I get a good mark? Or will my interpration of young people spoil it? I think the mark scheme allows a wide range of interprations isn't it?

Section B questions.

Describe an event or special occassion that was important to you. You could write about a celebration or any other memorable occassion.
My approach:

Special occassion - IGCSE English exam on 25th May 2012; it gave me pride and made me a hero.

My points: Shows Pakistan has no sense of urgency / lack of punctuality - "are they coming..."
Shows how Pakistan has no rules or order and doesn't adopt the western way of thinking "I assumed the winner was the one who completed the race..."
Shows how Pakistan is dirty but at the same time exciting " cloud of fumes and dust... fifty vehicles roaring up in their wake"
Appreciates Pakistani culture "using their whips energetically although not cruelly"
Shows her excitment and passion for the race "horns tooting, bells ringing.... men perched on lorries..."

First of all young means less than 18 years of age. After 18 you are an adult. So you are safe and those points you have used are really good so no doubt you can score.

Then your essay...I'm not pretty sure of the format of a magazine article..but I'm pretty sure that the examiners will be lenient.

Then your final answer was awesome...Damn I should have written about that. Dont worry, there's an A* for you!
Reply 87
Original post by NilFBosh
First of all young means less than 18 years of age. After 18 you are an adult. So you are safe and those points you have used are really good so no doubt you can score.

Then your essay...I'm not pretty sure of the format of a magazine article..but I'm pretty sure that the examiners will be lenient.

Then your final answer was awesome...Damn I should have written about that. Dont worry, there's an A* for you!

Thanks a lot man! You've given me a lot of hope! Sorry I was rude to you the other day; please forgive me. But actually my section C essay was being aimed at people above 18. Like I said, young for me means people who are somewhere between 20-27 years old and that's why I talked about discos and professional football trainers. So is that interpretation of young right or wrong for you?

2. Transport.

Section B questions.

My approach:

The Headless Goat question...you seem to be answering the question "How does the writer reflect Pakistan and its culture as she describes the race?"
I think surely you should talk about HER experiences about the RACE. I dunno but I surely didn't write any of your points at all...
I think by "young people" the question means children,teenagers and the youth whichever you chose and your points are A* standard.
Well I had the impression that this paper was fact based not fiction and you must write the truth, or anything similar. I dunno if the English exam is a "memorable occasion".
Reply 89
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
The Headless Goat question...you seem to be answering the question "How does the writer reflect Pakistan and its culture as she describes the race?"
I think surely you should talk about HER experiences about the RACE. I dunno but I surely didn't write any of your points at all...
I think by "young people" the question means children,teenagers and the youth whichever you chose and your points are A* standard.
Well I had the impression that this paper was fact based not fiction and you must write the truth, or anything similar. I dunno if the English exam is a "memorable occasion".

But aren't those her experiences of the race; I mean that's what she feels while she's observing and waiting for the race, and therefore isn't it right? Her experiences about the race are those ones; which other ones are you talking about? Please tell me. NilfBosh said I'm correct in that question, and you both study in the same class, so if he said it's right then why is your point differing? Okay and for the descriptive writing you have to be "creative" so you can just write any thing you want to imagine, and you need not write any truth. Please give me some hope. Aren't my anthology points correct? I mean that's the thing - those are her experiences, after all, which other experiences did she have regarding the race?

But aren't those her experiences of the race; I mean that's what she feels while she's observing and waiting for the race, and therefore isn't it right? Her experiences about the race are those ones; which other ones are you talking about? Please tell me. NilfBosh said I'm correct in that question, and you both study in the same class, so if he said it's right then why is your point differing? Okay and for the descriptive writing you have to be "creative" so you can just write any thing you want to imagine, and you need not write any truth. Please give me some hope. Aren't my anthology points correct? I mean that's the thing - those are her experiences, after all, which other experiences did she have regarding the race?

Your points for the anthology are correct. You described how the writer experienced the race by use of the foreign culture in Karachi. This allows the reader to share her experiences, by being able to visualize the foreign culture. Did you mention that she appeals to the senses and stuff?
For section C, should we write in a letter format, giving the address and a complimentary close or is it okay to simply write the body of the letter?
NilfBosh said I'm correct in that question, and you both study in the same class, so if he said it's right then why is your point differing?

Don't worry, Nilfbosh and studentigcse have extremely different view points even though they study in the same class. :wink: The examiner will most probably mark your points favourably, it looks good to me. The essay in section B, about a special occasion will also be correct beacuse the question stated "Describe a special occasion or event that was important to you" It could be anything as long as you explained its importance with detail.
Reply 93
Passage to Africa. Prolly you're reading this after the exams. Was i wrong???????

yes unfortunately , we got " a game of polo with a headless goat" :/ any ideas for section B ?
yes unfortunately , we got " a game of polo with a headless goat" :/ any ideas for section B ?

There is a poll for section B
Reply 95
whoops i mean do you guys know what anthology piece we are likely to get for paper 2 ???? please help ....
Reply 96
Original post by Relaxedexams
Your points for the anthology are correct. You described how the writer experienced the race by use of the foreign culture in Karachi. This allows the reader to share her experiences, by being able to visualize the foreign culture. Did you mention that she appeals to the senses and stuff?

Okay I didn't mention about the senses; however, thanks for the positive feedback .You know I was very worried when student igcse said I answered the wrong question. I thought I wouldn't get an A*
whoops i mean do you guys know what anthology piece we are likely to get for paper 2 ???? please help ....

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35536625&highlight=edexcel%20igcse%20english%20language%20%28A%29

The most likely ones seem to be "out, out" and "the necklace"
Reply 98

omg are you sure about this ????
Reply 99

I'm sure it will be a poem; however, I don't know which one, so revise all the poems apart from W.H Auden's poem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending