The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iamlovinit05
When are you flying?

I'm flying off on 28th August (night flight).
Original post by Student-S
I'm flying off on 28th August (night flight).

Oo I'm using BA as well! but on the 12th Sept. Go sign up for their executive club thing haha! its free and gets you points.

Let us know how the flight is! Never taken BA before.
Oo I'm using BA as well! but on the 12th Sept. Go sign up for their executive club thing haha! its free and gets you points.

Let us know how the flight is! Never taken BA before.

Sure! I'll post as soon I settle down there :smile:

Cool, I didn't know about that executive club membership, I'll go sign up soon hahaha:biggrin:
Sure! I'll post as soon I settle down there :smile:

Cool, I didn't know about that executive club membership, I'll go sign up soon hahaha:biggrin:

Yea you should. You can collect points and use it for discounts for future flights haha. and it's free to join so no harm!
Original post by jonobebe
i am planning to sign a hsbc savings atm card in sg, when i bring it over, i can withdraw money from any atm machine with visa plus. the charge is sgd$3.50 per transaction.

the main thing now is when's the best time for me to arrive...

Was that the cheapest you could get? $3.50 is rather expensive... considering how often I'll need to draw money.
Reply 3405
i am planning to sign a hsbc savings atm card in sg, when i bring it over, i can withdraw money from any atm machine with visa plus. the charge is sgd$3.50 per transaction.

the main thing now is when's the best time for me to arrive...

Why don't you just open a HSBC student account in the UK whilst in SG? You can avoid the transaction charges too.
Original post by Narev
Why don't you just open a HSBC student account in the UK whilst in SG? You can avoid the transaction charges too.

How do you do that?
Reply 3407
Narev u talking about the advanced savings account?
Yea if i open that one, it is way simpler and i can link sg acc to uk, but per transaction is $10 (transfer/withdrawal). And minimum sum to maintain is $20,000. I dont want to lock my parents money in my acc for 4 years... So i dont think its a good idea.

If i am not wrong, my uni have RBS bank, but last year they have some drama going on, so i worry if its trustable ornot. This is why i am comtemplating. I will see how it goes when im there. I heard that it is easy to open a student bank acc in uk, u would need student permit n offer letter etc, so eventually i will only get a better idea when i m there.

Anyway the limit to cross the border is 9000 pounds. Im currently in discussion with my parents, if i am done i'll share how i do it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3408
Hmm. Before I started my first year, I opened up a HSBC UK student account in SG. No transaction charge or minimum amount. However, things might have changed now.
If I'm not wrong there shouldn't be any transaction fee.

I'm going down to the bank one of these days to open an account as well! If you're not sure you can call up the customer service and ask. That's what I did!

Reply 3410
If I'm not wrong there shouldn't be any transaction fee.

I'm going down to the bank one of these days to open an account as well! If you're not sure you can call up the customer service and ask. That's what I did!

I actually called the customer service and even went down to talk to the person at a branch. The person in the phone isnt able to help much and the one i met told me about the advanced account.

If u manage to open a UK student acc in sg, pls do share here! Thanks! :smile:

Reply 3411
I actually called the customer service and even went down to talk to the person at a branch. The person in the phone isnt able to help much and the one i met told me about the advanced account.

If u manage to open a UK student acc in sg, pls do share here! Thanks! :smile:

I have emailed them a month ago and until now they still did not get back to me. This prove that they are not interested to help you for it is not beneficial to them.
Maybe that branch you went down to doesn't do international accounts?

Anyway, this is what I'm doing. My mum has a multi currency account which she puts in pounds, and this mc account allows me to open a uk account. There isn't any transaction fee.
I know my parents also have to lock in 10 or 20k. I know the interests rates are quite good for this account :wink:

Reply 3413
Original post by kenryou
I have emailed them a month ago and until now they still did not get back to me. This prove that they are not interested to help you for it is not beneficial to them.

After talking to him, i realise the advanced acc is not so good for me as i dont want to lock my parents money inside, and also that im more interested in the normal savings acc. His face changed immediately and then refused to talk to me. He then claim the advanced acc is best option n that he want me to get my parents down to discuss.
The other one from another bank even better. I told him i came for enquiries and he just turn sian and walk off.
They jus want us to create acc that will lock big sum of money inside so they earn more commission (Full stop)

Reply 3414
Maybe that branch you went down to doesn't do international accounts?

Anyway, this is what I'm doing. My mum has a multi currency account which she puts in pounds, and this mc account allows me to open a uk account. There isn't any transaction fee.
I know my parents also have to lock in 10 or 20k. I know the interests rates are quite good for this account :wink:

Im sure they do so as they already told me about the advanced acc which is a sg-uk linked acc. Jurong east branch btw..

Its easier for u because your mom have a "premium" acc. If i m not wrong, u can create a subsidary acc in sg for use in overseas.

Yup that's right! So are you going to open that account as well?

It makes transferring money much more convenient for your parents! And if I'm not wong, the interest rate is quite high so your money is not just sitting there.

Yup that's right! So are you going to open that account as well?

It makes transferring money much more convenient for your parents! And if I'm not wong, the interest rate is quite high so your money is not just sitting there.

That's HSBC right? I was thinking of just setting up an account there so I wont need lock in any cash.
Like the moment i go there, immediately set up a bank account.
Reply 3417
For those who are thinking of using HSBC, it is easier to qualify for premier status if you open the account in the UK. The min. balance is 50k pounds rather than the 200k SGD required if you open an acct here in SG..
That's HSBC right? I was thinking of just setting up an account there so I wont need lock in any cash.
Like the moment i go there, immediately set up a bank account.

Yup HSBC! I'm opening another account with the local banks as well, since there isn't a HSBC bank nearby which would make it inconvenient if I want to draw money...

In the end it's all up to which way you feel is more convenient for you. :smile:
I just booked yesterday. BA to Manchester. One way paid 1070

Cool! Did you book it directly from BA or through some agency/sites? I happened to know about this travel agency, STA travel, which seems to provide student airfares. Not sure if they are really cheaper... Has anyone bought from them before?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending