The Student Room Group

Can only squat with raised heels?

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
hamstring stretches and ankle mobility work/calf stretches. You need more (passive) dorsiflexion in your ankles to not fall on your arse when you squat, but your achilles tendons are tight.
Reply 2
I have this problem too! Interested in the responses ... I asked a guy who worked at the gym once and he suggested my back might not be flexible enough, no idea how accurate this is though.
If you really need a raised heel even after doing mobility work then it is fine. Squatting in chuck taylors isn't for everyone.
Stretch, get flexible.
This shows a lack of ankle mobility. It is quite common. Perform stretches for your calves (dorsiflexion). Squatting with the plate under the heel is not going to be feasible in the long run, so you need to either improve ankle mobility or get some lifting shoes for the squats (which have a raised heel). For now, you can "cheat" by turning your feet out more when you squat.
Reply 6
Do your feet point outwards when you squat?
I've got the opposite problem. I'm flexible enough to go right down to calves touching the back of my thighs whilst maintaining a straight back, but then it's so much further to go up that I can't lift as much. Hard to work out where parallel is without a mirror.
It is not necessary to squat in flat shoes. Olympic lifters all squat with roughly a one inch heel (some differentiation by brand/model etc.) There is nothing inherently wrong with it if it allows you to get the training effect you want.

Nevertheless, you should probably still take HFerguson/Alex Tait's advice to work on your ankle and hip mobility.
Reply 9
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
I've got the opposite problem. I'm flexible enough to go right down to calves touching the back of my thighs whilst maintaining a straight back, but then it's so much further to go up that I can't lift as much. Hard to work out where parallel is without a mirror.

why the **** would choose going parallel over going ATG?! :angry:
Original post by gangsta316
For now, you can "cheat" by turning your feet out more when you squat.

not a good idea - the more turned out the feet are, the more likely the ankles are to evert instead of dorsiflex, and it's very common for knees to collapse in if ankles are pronated.
Original post by HFerguson
why the **** would choose going parallel over going ATG?! :angry:

I thought it was too low? :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by Sabertooth
I thought it was too low? :colondollar:

All about the ROM

Quick Reply

Latest