The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language Exam - 29th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
does anyone know the usual grade boundaries for this paper?
Original post by Quantaˌ
If you are doing this in that much detail, how many quotes should you use in your answer?

Write fast. Aim to embed around 7 quotes. Aim for it to be a mixture of individual words as well as phrases. Paragraph it as well - you want to be playing into the examiners hards - making it as easy as possible for them to see that you are capable of writing to the highest bands.

Also, don't start every sentence/paragraph with the word "the". Some up with a variety of interesting starters like. Additionally, furthermore, In addition, Some could also say that, it could be interpreted as...., In contrast.....Etc...

And remember to use semicolons. Supposedly the examiners really like that.
Original post by hotdawg
does anyone know the usual grade boundaries for this paper?

It was 61/80 for an A* in the January sitting.
Reply 23
yeah thanks guys! :biggrin:
Is this for the OCR board? I'm sitting this one. Remember to not sound repetitive and get to the point in what your'e tryna say. Include a simile or metaphor if you can - it will look really good. Vary your sentence length for effect and all exclamatory marks. ? and ! What do you think they could ask us to write about in section B?
Reply 25
THANK YOU!!!!! very helpful :smile:
Remember, you always need to write about why the author uses these different techniques, because of the purpose etc.
I would structure like this:
A and B give two similar/different interpretations of ______. A tells us _________ whereas B portrays it as __________.
Then how they do it....
Why they do it...
Small similarities...
Small conclusion about why they're different - Purpose and Audience.
Reply 28
Original post by AminaS
Hey, does anyone have any advice on how to structure the comparison question (it's usually Question 4) in the English Language exam next Tuesday, cause I'm really bad at the comparison question! :confused: Btw the exam board is AQA

Thanks!

There are quite a few ways which you can structure your response, this is how I am going to do it:
Obviously, make an educated decision on which one of the two texts which you are going to select for comparison, when completing questions 1 & 2, note the techniques used, then think of which one has THE most significant similarities and differences.
Then make a brief plan.
Then I will structure it like this; Make a point about one article, using PQA (Point, Quote Analysis) write a detailed paragraph, then compare it to the other article.
Repeat this 3 or 4 times, making sure that you relate to the effects on the reader, and why the writer has used this! Link every single point you make to the other source, as this is primarily what the examiners are looking for. Don't forget it is worth 16 marks, so spend about 25 minutes on it!
Hope this helps, and good luck, I'm pretty worried about it haha!
what comparing??

I swear the question tomorrow is an extract that is given to us and we answer a questions on that.
I'm so scared, I got an A in the writing of a letter one, but a D in this one with an extract, does anyone have any advice for me please? I feel awfully under prepared

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 31
Original post by grammar12
Do this genre, audience, purpose... Language, information, style, techniques

Aka gap and list. Do this for both texts and do a paragraph on each comparison. Just to let you know, you have to provide a similarity to gain full marks! For example, ones purpose is to describe however the others is to inform, this is shown by...which is effective at... Because...
Then do around 5 or 6 paragraphs. I've got it tuesday too! Just keep going over what you need in each question. Read examplar questions by aqa and remember assessment objectives for each Q. Good luck guys

gap?
who remembers gap?
F.a.p. is easier to remember...format, audience purpose...?? :wink:
Rude mneumonics are easier to remember than normal ones. Don't ask why but that's what I've read somewhere...
Reply 32
Early night for me! Good luck to anyone and everyone sitting the exam, I'm sure if you've out in the effort your grades will reflect just that! Remember; be confident and believe in yourself, if you get stuck move on a question and come back! Don't waste time just sitting there. Also read section B first, you think of arguments etc as you go through making it easier at the end. Finally, check your answers for the last 2-5 minutes! It could gain you some marks. Good luck to one and all!!!
Reply 33
Original post by grammar12
Early night for me! Good luck to anyone and everyone sitting the exam, I'm sure if you've out in the effort your grades will reflect just that! Remember; be confident and believe in yourself, if you get stuck move on a question and come back! Don't waste time just sitting there. Also read section B first, you think of arguments etc as you go through making it easier at the end. Finally, check your answers for the last 2-5 minutes! It could gain you some marks. Good luck to one and all!!!

Thanks bro, good luck too!
Original post by SophieSumerReed
I'm so scared, I got an A in the writing of a letter one, but a D in this one with an extract, does anyone have any advice for me please? I feel awfully under prepared

I am sure you're going to be fine :smile: Just don't over complicate things, read the question and then replace a word you find that's blocking your understanding with a simpler one. Read it again, then plan the points you're going to make on the side of the page. Always analyse in depth and be sure to explain the effect this has on the reader. This shows you understand exactly what the question wants you to do. If you do this, there's no way you can go wrong. Its just like a comprehension and being a bit creative. If this is your last English exam then enjoy it lol! After doing English since primary school, all your skills will shine through this exam. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 35
I'm just happy in the knowledge that in 24hours, I'll never have to do English ever again :biggrin:
Original post by SophieSumerReed

Sophie you will be fine! You always stress when you don't need to, just read the extracts carefully and re-read the questions! Then jot down ideas on the booklet and then think of a few ways to start your paragraphs! xxx
Reply 37
This is a brilliant read. I'm sitting the WJEC English Language exam tomorrow morning and I've struggled to revise tonight due to various reasons, but this has reassured me. I'm going for an A* as English is arguably my "forte" but damn, I'm nervous! 12 minutes for the extract question (PEE) is cutting it fine in my eyes. REALLY fine. eeeeeeeeek.

Is there anyone else on this exam board also, or is this solely AQA based?

Wishing everyone the best of luck tomorrow!
(Apologies if this posts in an odd way, I only signed up tonight and still grasping the basics)
Original post by Kamila21
This is a brilliant read. I'm sitting the WJEC English Language exam tomorrow morning and I've struggled to revise tonight due to various reasons, but this has reassured me. I'm going for an A* as English is arguably my "forte" but damn, I'm nervous! 12 minutes for the extract question (PEE) is cutting it fine in my eyes. REALLY fine. eeeeeeeeek.

Is there anyone else on this exam board also, or is this solely AQA based?

Wishing everyone the best of luck tomorrow!
(Apologies if this posts in an odd way, I only signed up tonight and still grasping the basics)

I am also sitting the WJEC language exam tomorrow! and similar to you i am struggling to revise! i don't really know how to, to be honest all i could have really done is practice writing and thinking very quickly as that seems to be where i struggle most, along with many others i have heard!
If you're doing WJEC then this thread really doesn't help. In fact if you follow the advice in here you'll pretty much do the opposite of what you're supposed to...

YEAR 10 EXAM BTW
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest